What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fruits from the wild: Breeding with pure sativas Mextiza and Ghana

Carraxe

Veteran
Hi

I can say that pollination worked in the Senegal female. So we're going to have Mextiza-Senegal babies :dance013:

I can't say the same about the AngolaSenegal pollinated with Mextiza. For some reason, sometimes I can't get frozen pollen to work.

Senegal started flowering outdoors, after she revegged, so I estimate about more 6 weeks of flower.

Shiny resin and big calyxes, I like this genetics. This plant has a lot of branches and only a few are pollinated, one of the pictures shows some of the tops, but there are more than the double. I believe that curved leaves can be a symptom of overfeeding.

And this is the Angola Senegal I couldn't pollinate. Slender and thing, growing upwards quite quickly.

Cheers

Last edited:

Carraxe

Veteran
This is the Angola Thai. The pheno has been selected to be in the exact middle point between the two parents, as the people who made the selection claim. No hangover or feeling of fatigue after smoking her.

She needs 14 weeks but is for sure a premium sativa. I'm feeding her too much nitro, as the color of the leaves signs. She is branchy and I love the very Thai leaves she has.

I'll cross her with a (JHxMextiza)xMextiza male, or maybe with a male from the next cross, that will have less influence of the Jack.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
During last year, since I implicated in the Mextiza preservation project, I've planted hundreds of seeds, both made by me and sent by others. I've been selecting both males and females, I've kept some special females and I've used all good males to pollinate different sativa females I keep. I always try to use as many males as possible to get more diverse results.

I didn't keep any male, I've used all of the selected ones to pollinate. But now I've just discovered a male between the plants I have. It is labelled W, has no mutations at all and looks branchy and perfect. I keep clones in vegetative state, so I can keep it longer for next projects. I'll try to pollinate a selected female, Old Mextiza #6, that smells much stronger than normal Mextizas, but it is tricky because of endogamy and I don't know if I'll succeed.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
These babies are the first step in the Mextiza Rebuilt. 75% Mextiza, 25% Jack Herer. One of the worst effects of endogamy, the low germ rate, didn't happen this time. Most of the seeds have sprouted, and they've been in soil for just 5 days.

I'm curious about how these plants are going to be. I know the Mextiza is very dominant, and the Jack is very neutral, so I expect plants very very similar to the original Mextiza. I'll select males to cross with my select Mextiza females to make more seeds.

Cheers

therevverend

Veteran
Nice work with these lines. I'm pleased with Mextiza grew it outdoors this year. One is finishing up and one is a week behind. One is fruity citrus wonderful smell like freshly squeezed orange juice. The other is other is also fruity but has a ranky gnarly undertone. Smells like some of the old Mexi brickweed.

If I was a 'pure' breeder looking for my favorite it'd be the fruity one but I haven't smelled that nasty rank smell since the 90s I find it interesting. A bit similar to the skunky Indicas but not related at all. I doubt Mextiza has any Indica in it unlike many other so called landraces. Not that it matters to me, I grow what I like, but it's interesting to see it develop differently then the hybrids I usually grow.

I recommend you try growing it outdoors it really shines. I've had my worst year in years, mold everywhere, I've lost less then a gram on the Mextiza.

The ranky one has a terrible powdery mildew attack the lower bushy part of the plant is a mess. I'm going to spray greencure in the morning and hack some of the top hopefully the UV radiation will eradicate some of it. The PM gets worse when it's hot and dry.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Everything is looking great bro... i'm curious on smoking the Senegal and Angola/Thai cut in order to compare those to the ones I've grown in the past. This was the angolese pheno:

picture.php

Catch up soon!

Carraxe

Veteran
Nice work with these lines. I'm pleased with Mextiza grew it outdoors this year. One is finishing up and one is a week behind. One is fruity citrus wonderful smell like freshly squeezed orange juice. The other is other is also fruity but has a ranky gnarly undertone. Smells like some of the old Mexi brickweed.

If I was a 'pure' breeder looking for my favorite it'd be the fruity one but I haven't smelled that nasty rank smell since the 90s I find it interesting. A bit similar to the skunky Indicas but not related at all. I doubt Mextiza has any Indica in it unlike many other so called landraces. Not that it matters to me, I grow what I like, but it's interesting to see it develop differently then the hybrids I usually grow.

I recommend you try growing it outdoors it really shines. I've had my worst year in years, mold everywhere, I've lost less then a gram on the Mextiza.

The ranky one has a terrible powdery mildew attack the lower bushy part of the plant is a mess. I'm going to spray greencure in the morning and hack some of the top hopefully the UV radiation will eradicate some of it. The PM gets worse when it's hot and dry.

I've had outdoor Mextizas since the year I met her, and as any plant, they are much better outdoors than indoors. But the outdoors season isn't enough for me. I have too many breeding projects going on and I can't perform annual steps, I need to go faster.

Talking about your plants, I'd wait to smoke both of them before picking a keeper, if you can. They are quite similar, but don't discard any just in case. Now should be a good moment to harvest them, I cut mine two weeks ago already because of rains. It's been a horrible year for funghi here as well.

I do believe Mextiza has some Indica on it, in fact Phylos links her with Skunk. After years growing different landraces, including several Mexican, I can point the difference. Enormous amounts of resin, many glands and very big calyxes, with such a strong high are consequences of hybridization for sure. What is nice is that Mextiza is a weed that mixes the speed of the fast indicas and the best of the Mexican flavor, and much of Mexican effects. But she is much stronger than any sativa landrace, its THC level is beyond 10%, according to the tests made on Oaxaca '79. Probably a Mexican cultivar was hybridized back in the 70s and a lot of selection was made to develop Oaxaca '79.

I don't seek "authenticity" but quality. I prefer Mextiza over any weed I've smoked, and I don't care it's an hybrid. She is fucking great.

Let's see how she mixes with the other great sativas I have. I've just pollinated the Thai Angola with my newly discovered male, that's an extreme sativa as well, but probably a little hybridizated in the Angolan side, as other La Mano Negra works. We should send her to analyze.

Cheers

therevverend

Veteran
I do believe Mextiza has some Indica on it, in fact Phylos links her with Skunk.

I was thinking it could be the Nepalese influence but you're probably right. I've gotten to the point where I don't know what to think about Phylos results I've stopped inferring things by where they rank in their system. Skunk itself is a four way hybrid I don't think it's a good yardstick for measuring strains against.

Another thing about Mexi strains, and a lot of landrace strains, hybridization has been going on for a long time. At least since the 60s. Prohibition and repression has made everything that happened before the 70s a mystery and even the 70s are hazy.(in more ways then one)

I'm taking my Mextiza down and the powdery mildew is hitting it hard. Worse then I thought. We've had wet foggy mornings and sunny afternoons making for perfect mildew conditions. The lack of UV radiation because of the fog is to blame. I'm surprised by how great it's resistance is against mold (hardly any) and how weak it is against mildew.

Carraxe

Veteran
One of the plants I love. Authentic Mexican brought by a sailor. Very airy buds, packed with resin. It's got the creamy lemony scent with an aromatic laurel-rosemary background. So I think it will match perfectly with my Mextiza. 13 weeks.

I've just planted the seeds I had left, and some Zipolite from Bodhi.

View Image View Image View Image View Image

Cheers

Talking about Mexican weed, I just finished smoking this one. It happened to be a superb sativa, I found her very authentic. The bad things were that it was the only one that sprouted. And I didn't save her, I don't remember why. That was going to be a nice plant to mix in the Mextiza genepool, but it couldn't be.

Anyway, I found a couple seeds. I've planted them hoping that something good will come out. Pollen could be from anything, if it was from Mextiza it would be a step ahead.

These are the posts with the pictures of the mexican. The self-quote I made doesn't show nice pictures.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8242177&postcount=105
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8249486&postcount=108

Cheers

Last edited:

Carraxe

Veteran
I've had luck also with this last Mextiza father I found and the Angola Senegal keeper.

I've been zooming some pictures to get a closer impression of the buds.

This is the Senegal Angola pollinated a week ago. She's been flowering for 6 weeks already. 6 or 8 to go, I'm not really sure.

The top:

And this is one of the branches:

I'm uploading new pictures in the next post

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
(comes from the last post)

This is the Senegal. About 10 weeks flowering and pollinated with a Mextiza male 4 and a half weeks ago. I might harvest this plant in just more 4 weeks, I already like the white shine of the resin and the seeds will probably mature soon.

This is one of the pollinated branches. The calyxes are big with this plant, but now that they host a seed they look abnormal.

And this is one of the branches that wasn't seeded.

For some reason, the leaves of all the specimens I've grown of this clone have these melancholic look. I don't thing it's overfeeding anymore, they grow normally and good, but this keeps happening in clones. Any idea?

Cheers

OnceUpon

its great to see you working away at these projects, i have fallen in love with the mextiza. and senegal was one that excited me as well. good stuff!

Carraxe

Veteran
I never get good pictures from cured stash, but I'm going to give it a try.

These are some buds of the Senegal and Senegal Angola strains from La Mano Negra I grew indoors some months ago. They've been curing for 4 months and I find them to be in their best. You can see the special color they show. They are very similar. The plants I've selected are very similar as well.

The effect is uplifting and stronger than I though. They are very resinous, but I don't think the pictures make them bright. The resin isn't sticky as indoor strains, it is a different feeling, but it is everywere around the flowers. The taste is quite neutral, but the smell of the buds is greasy, spicy, sometimes floral, always subtle and strange.

No way they can be a landrace. They are too strong and too resinous, and they show resin in leaves and not just the calyxes. And they are ready in 12-14 weeks, but I picked them early. And they produce quite more than a landrace, that's a good think.

Nice smoke for all day long. It lasts more than I expected. Real nice sativa.

I think that in concept, these plants should match nicely with the Mextiza, and probably these strange smells they show will be powered.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
The Mextiza male I found has successfully pollinated the Thai Angola mother.

This Thai Angola is very strange, it is extremely branchy and thin-leaved, but grows very slow for a pure sativa. It would have a very nice Christmas tree shape if I hadn't taken several cuts. I don't know exactly when I put this one in flower, but it was about 6 weeks ago. Slooooooow sativa.

I'm eager to smoke such a sativa with that much Thai influence.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
The Mextiza Rebuilt is growing with the classical light green color.

There are about 45 in the two trays. The other plants in the surroundings are Taskentis, of course. And the two little siblings in the right bottom side come from the seeds of the Mexican brought by a sailor. I will take clones this time, may be I'll get something as good and as natural as the plant I know.

Cheers

Dogtown

Nice project Carraxe and well reported,

maybe you'll be lucky with that Thai Angola and have a nice christmas tree ready to harvest on christmas, would be a nice present. Which strains did you pollinate with the Red Snake male?