What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant Farm 2016

O

Oakhills

I wouldn't spray Copper Sulfate this late in the season. Try the milk solution or something else. Even Serenade if you are careful not to hit flowers (though I'm not even sure of serenade this late)

Do some searching and good luck!

Slow told me 4g/gal test on one half of plant first. I never did 'cause spraying copper on flowers seems weird to me.

People use potassium bicarb to pH 11 this time of year for pm. Green cure.

Dry trimmings way better.

plantingplants

Thanks for the pm tips. I'll try the bicarb.

Dry trimming is better but why? That's what I want to figure out. Wet trimming is faster so I'd like to improve it. One theory is that the wet trimmed flowers just dry too quickly since they are small and have many open wounds so to speak, so I'm trying to slow them down a little.

neongreen

Veteran
I'm new to this so I don't know the difference between senescence and deficiency, and I imagine they can look similar. How do you tell the difference?

You can't really tell the difference just by looking since they are exactly the same process, although one is triggered by lack of available nutrients in the soil, and the other is triggered by either the temps at the end of the season and/or the plant itself nearing maturity.

Some experience helps here (knowing your strain), but it's a good bet that you could have given a *little* bit extra N if the plant in question still has a month or more to go.

It's not a bad thing, as long as it's not too early... the trick is to amend so that by the time the N in the soil has run out, they are approaching half way into flower, and ideally, by harvest, all the big fans have dropped off on their own. But a couple of weeks either way won't make too much difference, and you are probably not far off that with your yellowing plants.

Regarding moldy buds (which you mentioned on another thread), there can be a few causes. Basically any part of the plant that gets damaged can be the start, weather it be by bugs, or breaking a leaf tip by accident. If any plant tissue from an old wound dies/dries up, it only takes a bit of dew and a mold spore, and it has started.

I've also seen it caused by the the preflowers, which die off and shrivel during flower, then as the buds form around the preflowers, add some moisture, and you soon have a moldy bud.

Last year I tried to do a light dep, basically using large heavy duty rubble sacks. The problem was that the leaf tips ended up touching the inside of the wet (condensation!) plastic, which resulted in hundreds of dead leaf tips. Those leaf tips caused the leaves to succumb to to further infection, so the infection spread down into the buds!

There's a bit of leeway for leaf damage at the start of the season, and lower down on the plant later on in the season, but if you don't get problems under control once vegetative growth has really taken off, you could have further problems later on.

The best way to avoid problems obviously is to get the soil amended right (particularly Ca and Si) so the plants grow strong and fast which makes them more resistant to pests/fungi. Things like neem meal, horse tail, and shrimp meal should help.

Apart from that, all you can do is try to avoid accidents but at the same time keep things tidy and encourage good airflow around the plants. Also watch out for leaves that fall onto branches below them, which can lead to the branch being lost.

IMHO you've done great so far, especially considering your lack of previous experience! One or two little tweaks and your yields will be off the charts :biggrin: Happy harvesting! :tiphat:

plantingplants

Internet is being slow so here's just a few. Been harvesting like mad all by my lonesome. Only have one small room. Almost done though and trimmers are coming in two weeks. Stoked to be almost done.

Right before the rains came

0b5HhEf.jpg

Legend OG x Snow Lotus

OfZTx42.jpg

Dream Beaver

9UQHnE8.jpg

Silkie chickens trimming

NpsD67q.jpg

neongreen, thanks for that explanation, and thank you a lot for the words of encouragement :)

neongreen

Veteran
I love the chickens!

You must be chuffed with your harvest brother. Any thoughts about what you'll do with all that bud? Gonna take a lot of jars by the looks of it!

Latest posts

Latest posts