What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ph for promix

E

emerald city

The ph in pro-mix can vary depending on how long the bale has been around,was it dry/wet.....Straight out of the bag ive got readings as low as 4.3...I now always pre-wet with water to get ph adjusters working and wake the micozzi fungi up... add a little extra lime and let set for a day...seems more consistant...dont buy cheep broken wet bags

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
actually i had ordered 30 bales of promix in fjan-feb....and used 15 bales in my first run and stored the other 15 bales in the garage...then when it was time to start this run i used the bales i had in the garage

question....if i had humic/fulvic in liquid form to my rez....it will stable ph and make me use much more ph+/- to adjust the ph...so if i use this atleast once per week would it help stablize my ph in my promix?

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
if i water enough, then yes...but because i have no drain in the floor i try not to have too much runoff when i water, as it will soak into the floor in the cracks and spaces between the plywood

Me and you both. Once in 5Gal pots I feed enough to hold. Specially in scrog. Nonetheless I'll be getting the HP for my moms next round.

KarmasWheele

Veteran
the reason the ph shoots way up is you are getting a concentration of nutrient build up........just flush and back off the food a bit and you will be ok.....

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
actually i had ordered 30 bales of promix in fjan-feb....and used 15 bales in my first run and stored the other 15 bales in the garage...then when it was time to start this run i used the bales i had in the garage

question....if i had humic/fulvic in liquid form to my rez....it will stable ph and make me use much more ph+/- to adjust the ph...so if i use this atleast once per week would it help stablize my ph in my promix?

i'm not sure on that, but i know humic acid helps to release salt build up in the pro mix. you should try using plain water for awhile. i feel for you man. nothing worse than when shit goes wrong like this on big grows. even though it doesn't matter how experienced you are, and you can't figure it out. i hate it. i would give it a good flush and plain water/superthrive for a week. do you use tap water?

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i was using RO water, but i switched to tap water when i seen this starting....tap water is 150ppm@7.5 ph....so i did some adding of cal/mg and my jacks pro at 300ppm and 6.2 ph and flushed 10 plants today(took 4 hours) will continue tomorrow

and to the guys saying ph went up, if you read properly you would see the run off ph was 4.7

KarmasWheele

Veteran
the reason the ph shoots way up is you are getting a concentration of nutrient build up........just flush and back off the food a bit and you will be ok.....

good catch joe....I ment the reason its so low is the concentration of nute build up............my error......just flush and back off the nutes..........ok.guy? just to show that I do wtf im talking about.....
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

grown in promix bx.nothing added......fed floranova,floralicious,flora nectar and big up powder........

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
yeah it's def a salt buildup. i only feed mine when they tell me they want to be fed. otherwise it seems when i try to feed feed feed in the promix they flinch.

L

Lloyd_Christmas

FLORAKLEEN.jpg

Get some, the 2.5 gallon jugs are around 50 bucks. There are more expensive versions of this same product made by other companies, but they aren't worth it. You'll use half the water you would normally flushing. Anywhere that sells general hydro (probably 90%+ of hydro shops) will have it.

Don't stress the pH runoff, it doesn't mean anything here. Just keep it around 6 going in and you'll be fine.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
damn, my shop dont have it.....whats the difference with flora clean and final phase?

i had asked AN if i could use final phase but they told me not to because it binds with the roots making it impossible to fert your plants for the rest of the cycle, so it was to only be used in the final 2 weeks.....

how is flora kleen different? how does it work?

L

Lloyd_Christmas

I've never used final phase myself so I can't definitively speak for that product, but I've flushed excess salts away with florakleen in the past with zero problems. The stuff works great and you end up having to run a whole lot less water through each pot.

"FLORA KLEEN Salt Clearing Solution by General Hydroponics:
• Dissolves accumulated fertilizer salts.
• Reduces plant stress from excess and imbalanced nutrients.
• Releases nutrient bonds between plants and systems, also correcting nutrient lock-out.
• Use FloraKleen as a final flush a few days before harvest to promote maturation and sugaring.
• Safe for use in all systems and media while plants are growing.
General Hydroponics FloraKleen removes fertilizer residues that can accumulate over time in hydroponic systems, growing media, and potting soils. Use FloraKleen monthly to purge your hydroponic system or potted plants of excess salts that can accumulate as a result of regular fertilizer application. FloraKleen is an excellent final flush, and can be used at any time to dissolve mineral and salt buildup. Its high concentration and low price make FloraKleen the economical choice for maintaining your plants in both hydroponic and soil-based environments."

I'm sure that there are a whole bevy of products just like it made by different companies. FK is the only one I've personally used myself, though.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
that sounds like a miracle cure, lol....im gonna check up on it...hopefully get some more feed back on it...but if it does what it says...then wow....a miracle product...

E

emerald city

the "cure" is not to over fertilize....Become one with your breed....running multiple breeds with differant needs is a pita,run small blocks of the same and dial her in ..
E.C/out

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
well....i think i have figured it out......

i was watering with a high K fert...at 6.5 ph...K and Ca, Mg gets locked out with ph over 6.0 in soiless medium....promix is soiless.

before when i used to add compost to my promix it was turning my "soiless" promix into soil and watered at 6.5 ph and everything was ok...but if i use just promix it would be soiless right?and soiless is best watered at 5.8-6.0 right?

so by watering with sensical and a high K fert @ 6.5 ph the plant was not able to absorb the K , Ca, and Mg...leading to a salt/fert build up, locking out my plants ability to absorb any ferts and dropping the ph dramatically....

so now that i have flushed everything i checked one of my plants today and the water going in was 6.2 ph 0 ppm, and runoff was 5.8 ph and 640ppm....i think these would be good numbers to say the least right? now if i water with plain water next watering and then resume feeding at proper 5.8-6.0ph then everything should be fine right?

just looking for some feedback to see if im correct about my theory here....thx

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
well....i think i have figured it out......

i was watering with a high K fert...at 6.5 ph...K and Ca, Mg gets locked out with ph over 6.0 in soiless medium....promix is soiless.

before when i used to add compost to my promix it was turning my "soiless" promix into soil and watered at 6.5 ph and everything was ok...but if i use just promix it would be soiless right?and soiless is best watered at 5.8-6.0 right?

so by watering with sensical and a high K fert @ 6.5 ph the plant was not able to absorb the K , Ca, and Mg...leading to a salt/fert build up, locking out my plants ability to absorb any ferts and dropping the ph dramatically....

so now that i have flushed everything i checked one of my plants today and the water going in was 6.2 ph 0 ppm, and runoff was 5.8 ph and 640ppm....i think these would be good numbers to say the least right? now if i water with plain water next watering and then resume feeding at proper 5.8-6.0ph then everything should be fine right?

just looking for some feedback to see if im correct about my theory here....thx

Nice Joe,
Everything you've said is correct. I recently flushed my gals in Promix as well and my runoff was also 5.8. ore like 5.5 but that's because I was feeding every watering. Now they seem happier but waiting for the Promix to dry out before feeding regularly again. Are you using BX or HP. The BX takes forever to dry after a flush. I'm in day 3 and they are light(er) but still heavy in the 5 gallon.

Greenlife1

I run straight Sunshine Mix#4 which is basically the same as your Promix. I water at 6.0-6.1, and never have a problem.
Your numbers after flush seem good to me. Just resume as normal just make sure the when you feed that you are in that range and you will be fine.
You don't try to ph straight water do you. If so don't bother. leave as is.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
I run straight Sunshine Mix#4 which is basically the same as your Promix. I water at 6.0-6.1, and never have a problem.
Your numbers after flush seem good to me. Just resume as normal just make sure the when you feed that you are in that range and you will be fine.
You don't try to ph straight water do you. If so don't bother. leave as is.

Hey I do.. I pH it to 6.0 I noticed that there are buffers in ProMix well I just recently found out at least. When I flushed it was with tap pH'ed at 6.0. I just kept flushing till the runoff rose from 5.5 to 6.2 on it's own. Was this wrong buddy?

Last edited:

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
i was having problems in promix too, but i recently switched to a nutrient made specifically for soiless, and i haven't had a problem since! WOO!

btw. i use supernatural gro/bloom terra. i know i prolly sound like a sales rep the way i have been repping them, but they are great.

Greenlife1

Yeah you don't need to ph as there are no elements that you are trying to make available. There is a buffer in there...in promix I think dolimite lime. The whole point of the flush is to rid of the salts. plain water will be fine. I have done this for many years will no ill side affects. your ph will still rise with out you ph'ing it.
What is your tap ph at? 7.5 range?

Ismokekush I run PBP nutes and they also work great. I have tried many and they all work, but the PBP is simple, organic, and not to pricey. Find something you like use.. and dial it in for your grow method. That is the key. Yes hydro nutes are they way to go as soiless is basically hydro, except you have a medium holding the roots in the pot.

Latest posts

Latest posts