What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ph problem? Or C99 problem?

kritios

This is the second year that I've grown C99 outside, and the second year that I have had problems. Pretty sure it's an iron deficiency. Last year I treated the immediate symptoms with a foliar application of chelated iron. Since I've read that iron shortages usually show up when the pH is too high, I top-dressed with earthworm castings to buffer the pH and the problem eventually disappeared. I water with city water, and it tests in the 8-9 pH range. Here's a pic of what it looks like, new growth is pale between the veins:

This issue as only shows up on this strain so far. I've grown other more indica-leaning plants here with no problem. I've also grown vegetables here and they've matured normally. In between seasons I cover crop the beds and amend with compost I make from yard waste and kitchen scraps. The bed awas originally filled with a mix of bagged soils.

Has anybody else noticed that c99 is especially sensitive to ph problems? Any ideas of a way to fix this, so I'm not chasing it with spraying foliars every couple of days? Even though I can get ahead of it I feel like I am probably setting the plant back since it's hungry for iron.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
This is the second year that I've grown C99 outside, and the second year that I have had problems. Pretty sure it's an iron deficiency. Last year I treated the immediate symptoms with a foliar application of chelated iron. Since I've read that iron shortages usually show up when the pH is too high, I top-dressed with earthworm castings to buffer the pH and the problem eventually disappeared. I water with city water, and it tests in the 8-9 pH range. Here's a pic of what it looks like, new growth is pale between the veins:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82933&pictureid=2060827&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
This issue as only shows up on this strain so far. I've grown other more indica-leaning plants here with no problem. I've also grown vegetables here and they've matured normally. In between seasons I cover crop the beds and amend with compost I make from yard waste and kitchen scraps. The bed awas originally filled with a mix of bagged soils.

Has anybody else noticed that c99 is especially sensitive to ph problems? Any ideas of a way to fix this, so I'm not chasing it with spraying foliars every couple of days? Even though I can get ahead of it I feel like I am probably setting the plant back since it's hungry for iron.

It is an iron lockout, which happens at a high pH.

You need to lower the pH, rather than feed more iron.

Hookahhead

Member indagroove dropped this link in another thread, it discusses university research on pH.

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/new-research-results-optimal-ph-for-cannabis/

It has this to say about iron lockout at high pH:
Iron uptake can also be hindered by over-irrigation, cold substrate temperatures or root disease such as Pythium. In other experiments at NCSU, we did observe the development of interveinal chlorosis on plants with a pH of 7.8. This observation provides more refinement of the upper pH limit and would suggest that the pH should be lower than 7.5.

The preliminary results of NCSU’s research imply that vegetative stock plants of cannabis have a wide substrate pH range in which the plants will optimally grow. That range appears to be as wide as pH 5.0 to 7.0. Based on experience with other species, a narrower range of 5.5 to 6.5 may be more appropriate to target, as this will allow growers to more easily adjust as pH approaches the ends of the targeted range.

troutman

Seed Whore
Yeah, the pH has to go down. I like having mine anywhere from 6.2 to 6.8 in soil. :tiphat:

Luckily, pH down isn't too expensive. A few drops per gallon should help a lot. :)

kritios

Luckily, pH down isn't too expensive. A few drops per gallon should help a lot. :)

Thanks all. I'd been resisting adding anything to my water but that seems like the way to go.

Its weird I haven't seen any problems with other strains.