What's new

Coco deficiency/over feeding?

Anybody shed some light on what this problem might be?

Plants are maybe 3 ish weeks old in 50/50 coco/perlite. Feeding 1.2EC of which .4 or so is cal/mag. Have been upping calmag as I figured that was the problem, new coco (brick) probably not pre charged. Been a while since I've grown, kinda forgotten a few things including pre charging the coco and even using cal/mag in the first place. Used to use coco nutrients but now just general hydro (Mills this run), as it's now a recirculating ppk, of which 3 other grows have been perfectly healthy...

Plants are under 315W CMH, which is new to me. Unsure of humidity and temps

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20200422_211757.jpg
    IMG_20200422_211757.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200422_211824.jpg
    IMG_20200422_211824.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200422_211832.jpg
    IMG_20200422_211832.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 29

Right, thank you I had not considered this. My last grow was about 70/30 perlite to coco chips blend so would've hardly retained moisture at all compared to this cycle. I would not think temp would be an issue but I'll dig out thermometer and check on that and humidity too. Never had this problem before in 5+ years, so makes sense it's a watering issue not a nutrient problem ��

I do have my light relatively far away, as I'm new to cmh and they came out from under 68 watts of cfl. Haven't lowered it at all and I'm guessing is around 2 feet away. Safe to lower it yet? Been under it for about two weeks...

It seems I'm an idiot, I like to try different nutrients and ordered the Mills a + b alone, but it seems you need to run the pricey start-r additive as it contains a fair amount of nitrogen that the base nutrients are lacking. Had I known this I would've gone with any other brand I've run run the past, as I've never come across an "essential" additive before. Plants are looking worse now and I have to order online so it'll be a few days before it gets here

Hopefully I can find something else I have laying round in the mean time...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I was given the Mills line as a trial pack, and much the same happened. The A+B never work alone. Unfortunately I had no instructions. Just a lot of bottles. I only used it so I could go shop after the weekend, not before. On an established grow. Which wasn't happy at all. I'm surprised you have got this far.

I'm glad you spotted the mistake. It was an easy one to make.

I've run a variety of shit for years. Usually just a+b and any pk I have or is cheap at the time. Don't really do additives and have never had a problem like this. Found some floranova grow so that's what they're getting until the start-r gets here. Fingers crossed they bounce back quickly!

imakandi

hello

nutrients are ok
grow many times only a+b, recycled coco,
problem is suffocation

now, water too little every time
little runoff, stagnant water in root zone
easy to see suffocated plant

my advice
water more amount each time
less frequent
get more runoff

wish all luck to you
:)

What strength a+b you use? Of the Mills basis?

I should've just recycled my last grow coco but wanted to try different ratio etc, trial and error type stuff. I've been watering with plenty of run off and not really sure how they can be overwatered, being in 50/50 coco/perlite, unless the coco is too fine/sludgy?

imakandi

What strength a+b you use? Of the Mills basis?

I should've just recycled my last grow coco but wanted to try different ratio etc, trial and error type stuff. I've been watering with plenty of run off and not really sure how they can be overwatered, being in 50/50 coco/perlite, unless the coco is too fine/sludgy?

hello 967
i do not use mills
but is regular bottle nutrients, nothing special good
and nothing special wrong

i did not say overwater
i say you water too little amount
too frequent
solution is not renewed
and zone of roots have stagnant water

99% problems with coco solved
by throw lot of feed water
and wait one or two days

best luck
:dance013:

I have been watering 1 - 2 litres at a time, probably too often as I've been increasing calmag to try fix what I thought was the problem. I'm seriously thinking it's a problem with the Mills a + b only. Most other lines don't separate a large portion of required nitrogen to another bottle. Time will tell. Will post back with results

Cheers

Last edited:

SuperBadGrower

I might agree, I looked online and they don't even list "Basis A&B" nitrogen content anywhere. Everything else is listed including the 5 TE.
"Start-R" contains NO3 and NH4 in equal amounts which is weird because almost every other hydroponic formulation has more NO3 than NH4. And indeed, a common % for N is 4-5% ("Start-R" contains 5.2% N.)

I ended up assholing 3 of the 4 plants as a buddy saved me with a few clones. Changed the medium to my last grow ratio (70/30 perlite/coco, recycled with cannazym). Also changed nutes to nutrifield as I've had good success with them in the past. Might switch back to mills with the start-r once they're growing properly (probably it'll do just as well as the nutrifield, but 4x the price haha)

Didn't saturate the medium when transplanting and watering very sparingly for now. So fingers crossed all problems will be behind me

Cheers

hazyfontazy

Veteran
1.2 ec is low for stage of growth and if you look on Mills feed charts it will probably say recommend ec 1. 8 for the stage the plants are at

You might be right. I've always fed on the low side and last grow I maxed it out at 1.4. think that was with nutrifield tho. Now have two similar size medium ones and two clones planted straight in the bigger pots. Have to try and get them to a similar size...

Fed plants with the start-r additive, total 1.6EC with .2 of that calmag and also 1ml/L silica and plants seem to be coming right. Not sure if it's the additive, the higher EC or the improved medium drainage (or a mixture of all 3) but fingers crossed I'm on my way to 25 big bags

Chur peeps

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Anybody shed some light on what this problem might be?

Plants are maybe 3 ish weeks old in 50/50 coco/perlite. Feeding 1.2EC of which .4 or so is cal/mag. Have been upping calmag as I figured that was the problem, new coco (brick) probably not pre charged. Been a while since I've grown, kinda forgotten a few things including pre charging the coco and even using cal/mag in the first place. Used to use coco nutrients but now just general hydro (Mills this run), as it's now a recirculating ppk, of which 3 other grows have been perfectly healthy...

Plants are under 315W CMH, which is new to me. Unsure of humidity and temps

Cheers
I did a little experiment with only coco, very light feeding and light watering. It's a amazing how little you need to feed the plants when the root system is well developed.

Coco only
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8885065&postcount=15

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8892663&postcount=16

hazyfontazy

Veteran
You might be right. I've always fed on the low side and last grow I maxed it out at 1.4. think that was with nutrifield tho. Now have two similar size medium ones and two clones planted straight in the bigger pots. Have to try and get them to a similar size...

I tried new shit at old shits dosage and they weren't happy,, looked at new shits webshit and they said loads more shit needed,, its all about learning shit lol