What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Counting flower-budding weeks

Landmark1

When do you start to count flowering weeks, After the first buds develop under 12/12 or the exact day you flip to 12 hour light cycles? Im running several different strains and I want to get the timing right. Thank you all.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Hi Landmark1 :tiphat:

There is no final rule.

Some start counting when they go from 18/6 to 12/12 (I do).
Others take a closer look at the flowers, and only count when flowers have actually arrived.

The most important thing is to get good to see, when the flowers are ready for harvest :woohoo:

P :smoke:

prune

Veteran
If you're referring to how seed companies or growing manuals do the math, you will generally see the term "from flip". It's the only exact rule.

D

DNM1

When do you start to count flowering weeks, After the first buds develop under 12/12 or the exact day you flip to 12 hour light cycles? Im running several different strains and I want to get the timing right. Thank you all.
Hi L. :)
Breeders are spot on with the flowering time they give us
Start counting from day one pistils shows(add a week of uncertainty)
Currently on a multi strain run,11 strains
:)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi L. :)
Breeders are spot on with the flowering time they give us
Start counting from day one pistils shows(add a week of uncertainty)
Currently on a multi strain run,11 strains

Some breeders guesstimates are just that, some aren't, especially autos. General rule when you see pistils....now that's "spot on"! Depends on environment.

Mr. J

You start counting at flip. The beginning of 12/12 is the start of the flower cycle. That's the way it's always been. Why anybody would start counting at any other time makes no sense at all. The time between flip and "pistils showing" can vary by days or even a week or more between strains. When a pack of seeds says 65 days to flower what they mean is it takes 65 days from the time you flip the cycle, not 65 days from some arbitrary, subjective determination based on pistils. Even so, you don't go strictly by the numbers, they're just a guideline.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Well, dismissing the "transient week"? Interesting! I found that my girls are pretty much bang on, give or take a couple of days, by not counting it in the "flowering equation, which normally translate to what Aridbud stated his post. 5-6 days for 1st pistils. In MY environment :)

mr.brunch

Veteran
If the plants are sexually mature (showing the odd pistil in veg ) then I would go from flip.
Although from seed it’ll be more down to the eye rather than the breeders estimate when they’re done

D

DNM1

Some breeders guesstimates are just that, some aren't, especially autos. General rule when you see pistils....now that's "spot on"! Depends on environment.

Autos,in the process of getting to know them, but yes A. agree with you Enviromental conditions!, most important
Maybe the term "spot on" applies to my current situation, where had to calculate when second wave of seeds was planted, space limits.Have three coming down soon, "on the spot"

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
If the plants are sexually mature (showing the odd pistil in veg ) then I would go from flip.
Although from seed it’ll be more down to the eye rather than the breeders estimate when they’re done
I veg 6-8 weeks. I discount pistils in the crotch (showing early sexuality) even @ 7/8 weeks, in my climate, it takes 4 to 5 days to see a flower site. e.g more than crotch pistils.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
So sexually mature is any seed plant(s) start date and 'grown', what?, 3-4 months? any clone thereafter is by genetics already sexually mature. And any seed plant put into bloom earlier than that will/probably not give full expression of terps, potency and/or yield. That is why you hear some say the second run of a seed plant (cloned) is most times different/better than the first.

mr.brunch

Veteran
So sexually mature is any seed plant(s) start date and 'grown', what?, 3-4 months? any clone thereafter is by genetics already sexually mature. And any seed plant put into bloom earlier than that will/probably not give full expression of terps, potency and/or yield. That is why you hear some say the second run of a seed plant (cloned) is most times different/better than the first.

Around 6-7 weeks from popping I can usually find the first preflowers .. although some take a little longer.
I will usually get seeds started on a window sill for a couple weeks before going under the light so they don’t get too huge while maturing.
As you say, any clone after this point is sexually mature also.