What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

soil to hydro

ganzas

Hello, I would appreciate some advice:

this time, I have plants in soil with some time in vegetative and I will go start hydroponic system.

I wonder if it brings advantages transplant this plants to hydroponic system or end this cultivation in soil and after go to hydroponic system and start from beginning the hydro...

thanks

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
well let me see what i can do for you, if anything. i recently took a plant from soil and put it into hydro or rather my bubble cloner. its an SSH plant and it took off like a rocket once it was transplanted.

the lights were on 24/7 since there were other cuts in there, but i recently switched to 16/8 to get some growth going.

it all depends on how far along the plants are in veg. mine is/was fairly small at the time so all i did was roll away most of the soil off, and then shake it (in my hand to get rid of even more of the soil); had a cup of water off to the side that i swirled the roots in the wash away more soil then i took a spray bottle and then gently sprayed off the rest of the soil or as much as i could.

the plant was not doing well as far as i could tell and it made sense to transplant it to give it a fighting chance, and it worked. dont ave a before but have an after. . .
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=32231& pictureid=743897 https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=32231&pictureid=743898

without a pic cant really tell where you plant/plants are. best i could advise is to get a hydro system of your choice setup (i would suggest DWC for your situation), take cuts from your plants so you have something to grow just in case, and once everything is in place THEN try to do the transplant.

BUT without pics its hard to suggest what to do. if/when you do transplant and try to wash off the soil from the roots, i think DWC would help you best in the event that there is still some loose soil that you couldnt get(and there will be) it would be in a bucket and when you change out your water there wont be any moving part that the residual soil could damage.

i spend money on genetics and equipment like everyone else, but at the end of the day it is a plant that we are dealing with and its very resilient so you wont end up hurting it that much so i think its worth a shot.

im in the process of going from soil to hydro so i will be getting into all types of situations but check my "a requiem for change" thread (first link in my sig) and you'll get what im going through,maybe get a tip or two :tiphat:

ganzas

thanks for the help brother.

Plants:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

what's your advice?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
If you're intent is to ScrOG, you need to decide now to transplant or stick with soil. Once they hit the screen, it's too late.

ripOG

Yeah the earlier the better. You can definitely do it - be careful with the roots, wet them down a little and then carefully dissect them out of the dirt. The hydro medium will have to be something loose like hydroton that you can place around the roots. The primary concern is shocking the plants, and you will lose a couple roots here and there, so just be careful when you do it.

St3ve

If it was me I would just flip them soon and finish them in dirt where they are. Looks like the work is done and your ready to go. Why go back and redo everything you've done. Just get your hydro setup prepared and do it next run.

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
truly torn. . .

truly torn. . .

these two opinions are honestly dead on to me. . .
Yeah the earlier the better. You can definitely do it - be careful with the roots, wet them down a little and then carefully dissect them out of the dirt. The hydro medium will have to be something loose like hydroton that you can place around the roots. The primary concern is shocking the plants, and you will lose a couple roots here and there, so just be careful when you do it.

but looking at what you have set up, and its a beautiful setup, this one also kinda rings true to, especially where i am with my grow and ideals. . .
If it was me I would just flip them soon and finish them in dirt where they are. Looks like the work is done and your ready to go. Why go back and redo everything you've done. Just get your hydro setup prepared and do it next run.

the one that i was talking about in my response was small and now that im looking at it, it may even be a dwarf plant, its a SSH so it actually should be a lil bigger and lenkier. . .
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=32231&pictureid=743897 https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=32231&pictureid=743898 https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=32231&pictureid=744326

i wanted to see if it would take, in case i needed to do it again, but the actual plant itself is a toss up, eventually im gonna give it its own DWC home and eventually flower it if i find that its not really growing the way it should. . . lol, thats if its a female

I would stick on soil for now and setup DWC in next run. Soil is not that much worse in quantity and definately you gain benefits in taste. As lazy grower I would not even bother to clean up roots and shit. No way, too much hassle and risks damaging roots.

DutchBoy

I wouldn't change it now, it isn't worth the trouble

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT....

Next run change.

I have never seen a soil to hydro girl develop as well as if it would have been left alone.

lil~greensprout

Living life large...
Veteran
:yeahthats
If it were me, I would take the hydro for a test ride, I'd just
fire one in there and get the bugs worked out prior to a full run,
you'd be surprised @ all the Lil shit that needs tweek'n, and
then there's that whole learning curve thing to deal with, and
I always keep a few in dirt for safety, pumps fail, cords get
unplugged, shit just happens...but that's me, best of luck. :)