What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Suggestions for ph/tds meter

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i was just going to suggest the same thing - the pic in that link is an mw101, but i've been using a mw801 for awhile now.

only complaint i have is the calibration knobs being right on the front of the unit and exposed, i expected i'd knock it out of whack just by using it...but i calibrate every week and it's always dead on, anyway.

grow101

If you want a pen then I'm very happy with my Hanna HI98129 (electrode ~2 years, still running and calibrating well). As stationary solution I'd recommend a Bluelab Guardian, costly, but works like a charm. I will have a look into the Milwaukee mentioned in this thread, too.

louie

Appreciate the info guys! It looks like the Milwaukee 802 is at the top of my list right now. I think I am going to get a separate pen TDS and PH as back up as well. Anyone else have anymore suggestions before I place my order in the next few days?

GrowForIt

Another vote for the Milwaukee 802, the sm802 or the mw802 I've owned both, both are excellent meters and the price is very reasonable.

Ursus

I had the older version of the Gro Check. Sold it and got individuals.
IMO, combo meters suck.

I kinda agree with this. I only bought 1 combo when I was getting into things. The Hanna Combo meter is good at everything BUT PH. I have to recalibrate the mother fucker every other day. Maybe once a week if I'm lucky. The PPM, EC and temperature readings are spot on though. I think I might need a new electrode? or whatevers replaceable!

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
The pH electrode in the older Gro-Check was a double junction.
I dont know if they went cheap with a single junction electrode on the newer models.
I didn't like the calibration potentiometers. They were flakey and tended to allow drift.
EC was better, but still drifted.

grow101

I kinda agree with this. I only bought 1 combo when I was getting into things. The Hanna Combo meter is good at everything BUT PH. I have to recalibrate the mother fucker every other day. Maybe once a week if I'm lucky. The PPM, EC and temperature readings are spot on though. I think I might need a new electrode? or whatevers replaceable!

That's not my experience with the Hanna Combo, first electrode and it never has been off more than 0,2pH when calibrating every now and then (~3 month). Have the electrode replaced at the shop and see what happens, my favorite store does the calibrating as a service for free and you know if it this or your Combo.

louie

Louie i gotta ask what issues are you having with the hanna? may be able to help you out with some of the quirks with that bad boy

The main problem is I wasn't able to do a 2 point calibration with it right out of the box. It calibrates with 7.01, but not 4.01. And when I just do a 1 point calibration (7.01) it will read almost everything at 7.01 no matter what the ph is, even if I dip it in the 4.01 after. I'm not sure if I have a faulty ph electrode or what (it came in the package dry), but it doesn't work. The TDS/EC probe seems to be working, but I also need ph. I was going to try to take this one back and just order another. I wanted it to work, but no dice, unless you know something I don't.

H

Hazyfontazy

bluelab anything !!

worlds best !!!

my bluelab combo has never let me down

i agree

had my bluelab truncheon 10 years and my bluelab ph metre 5 years ,,never let me down ,,put them both in storage for 12 months and went to calibrate them and both were spot on :)..

GrowForIt

So should I go with the Milwaukee sm802 or the Milwaukee mw802? Is one better than the other?

I'd go with the mw802 it's a newer version of the sm802, readings stabilize a little quicker, the led display is easier to read, and it's a bit more water resistant. The mw802 is white, some sites have the sm802 (green) listed as the mw802. Either way they are both great meters..

ripOG

I love my HM ones. Regardless of brand, I prefer handheld units in general and I like having separate ph and ec meters in case one goes down.

Continuous meters are really convenient though. I might experiment with a milwuakee meter on a DIY ph auto top-off.

You can check out my current grow to see the HM's. They're greeeat.

Latest posts

Latest posts