What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Companion Planting

D0nC0smic

hmmm... i've never heard polkweed called poke salad before, but from the description it is definately the same plant, and those things get huge around here

G

It is an interesting thought, companion planting to ward off people.

A List Of Plants That Look Like Marijuana

Some of these plants do look like weed but shades of green can always be a problem as mentioned in the thread. I've thought that a multicoloured garden would hide the colour of weed better than trying to hide it in one particular species.

'people see what they are made to see.you can put stuff under people's noses, and they haven't got a f'n clue if you set it up right.

Trees above so they break the pattern, light and dark greens in with them, flowers to draw the eye away, scented herbs on borders to draw one down to them, plantings like japanese maple etc about to fool the person who thought they saw something into going, no, it's a ....

Water features
Fish.
Statues/sculpture.
Seats facing away .
Gnomes and terracotta art.

Last edited:
G

By the way, thank you hans for that link, There is a thread on plant communication here in organic soil worth looking at as these type threads obviously catch your eye. (and mine)

Fascinating stuff, plants that communicate. And learning now of problems with hybrid cultivars losing these skills, with decreased bio-diversity.

A well planted companion plot could very well help breeders establish plants with better pest and disease resistance. I'm quite sold on that.

As I've suspected, it's not only the presense of the plants (including algae & fungi), but the insects and bacterial life that all contribute towards harmony in the garden. Plants talk! Well, talk, communicate...

We talk here, without a word spoken, unless you s-p-e-l-l each word out loud hehe :laughing:

Sonar, radio, pheremones, talking, all communication systems.

I strongly suspect herbs that increase other plants aromatics will also increase their ability to communicate. If hybrids can get worse at this, surely nurtured plants can get better at it. :headbange

V

vhGhost

This is a great thread... i'm with you on the whole ying/yag theory on plants work better around other plants(species).

jolene

African marigolds and tansy are fantastic repellants of nematodes, whitefly and aphids and grow tall too - borage and comfrey are the best mulching materials you can get and have unpleasantly hairy stems to repel slugs (apparently), they also grow tall and have beautiful flowers. Basil will deflect whitefly towards it and phacelia is a fine green manure and attracts hoverflies to eat aphids when it is in flower (lovely blue flowers).
How about sweetcorn? They are nice and tall but not too bushy to crowd your weed out and break up the outline of your crop.

odds

In the list of companion plants on Wikipedia, Hemp (Cannabis sativa L. subsp. sativa Brassica) is supposed to improve the health of cabbage, brussel sprouts, and other kales.

BongSong, are you experimenting with cannabis and companion plants in outdoor, organic soil, or what? What environment are your plants prone to?

Very informative thread, thanks guys!

G

I am also interested in stinging nettles (but how without them being a :cuss: nuisance) borage and lovage and will read up more on them as I know nothing about these plants habits except they're meant to be very good companions.

I'm having a cup of tea with one this afternoon. :laughing:

Last edited:
G

I put some nasturtium in a neighbours planter that had cucumber, a gourd, and whitefly. They aren't gone overnight, but there's definately a lot less of them.

Last edited:
G

Only one way to see how this companion planting works, dive in.

I went shopping today, got what I could find

English Chamomile

"Known as The 'Plant Doctor' because of it's ability to encourage other plants to increase their essential oil & so taste & smell stronger & more vital... Chamomile is easy to grow, & looks beautiful anywhere, though keep it well trimmed to avoid a straggly look. Many other plants enjoy it's company, especially Mint, which will become tastier when grown next to Chamomile. Plant Chamomile next to ailing plants to help revive them. Cabbages & Onions love Chamomile, though keep it approx a meter away from Onions. Collect & dry the Chamomile Flowers, then make a tea by soaking a handful in cold water for a day or two. This can then be used for any plant which is looking sickly, or a young plant is in need of assistance. And finally, Chamomile will help activate the Composting process if added to your Compost pile!"

Cilantro Coriander

"Fungicide, Insecticide. The growing plant repels aphids. A spray made by boiling of one part coriander leaves and one part anise seeds in two parts of water is very effective against red spider mites and woolly aphids.

French Tarragon

The french tarragon is the culinary one with the smell and taste so this is the one I chose.

Tarragon is said to enhance flavour and vigour of vegetables when planted amongst them.

Rose Geranium

"A trap crop, attracting pests away from roses and grape vines, distracts beet leafhoppers, carrier of the curly top virus, away from nicotinoid plants like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and tobacco"

I also have these handy fellas about the place

Sage

Attracts bees and parasitic wasps, deters cabbage flies and bean parasites.

Mint

"Deters white cabbage moths, ants, rodents, flea beetles, fleas, aphids and improves the health of cabbage and tomatoes. Use cuttings as a mulch around members of the brassica family. It attracts hoverflies and predatory wasps. Earthworms are quite attracted to mint plantings. Be careful where you plant it as mint is an incredibly invasive perennial. We have found that placing mint (fresh or dried) where mice are a problem is very effective in driving them off!"

Oregano

Repels Aphids, good ground cover for mulch and worms.

Nasturtium

"Deters wooly aphids, whiteflies, squash bug, cucumber beetles and other pests of the cucurbit family. Great trap crop for aphids (in particular the black aphids) which it does attract, especially the yellow flowering varieties. Likes poor soil with low moisture and no fertilizer. It has been the practice of some fruit growers that planting nasturtiums every year in the root zone of fruit trees allow the trees to take up the pungent odor of the plants and repel bugs. Studies say it is among the best at attracting predatory insects. It has no taste effect on the fruit."

Nasturtium also removes heavy metals if present.

Last edited:
G

I KNOW, I KNOW

I KNOW, I KNOW

dfffdfddf security...

Last edited:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very nice bong song. you might want to try some lst on that mint plant they react to it very well and bush up nicely. also ive recently soaked mint,kelp,castings in water and used as a foliar on my pepper plants covered with aphids. all gone in 24 hours and the plants look great.

G

Hey thanks jay

I'm loving this learning curve. Mint and kelp huh, got them, got a lot of bloody aphids in my nasturtium bed too. But here's the wierd thing. No aphids in the nasturtium with the tom, none in the bed with the peas, none in the raft with the peas and gravel pot anchors - shitloads in the poly raft.

I'm thinking they don't like either -

Scoria or
Bugs that live in the scoria.

But that's my next mission/thread - rocks that add to the ecosystem.

OMG! - No I will not be hanging crystals on my plants! (unless you prove it makes them grow faster) hehe.

G

Thanks odds

I tested the kelp and mint out on a bed of nasturtium last night. This morning some aphids are present but a LOT less, will check later when it warms up in there and see how things look.

Last edited:
G

Everything I planted in that bed has picked up the chamomile and tarragon have both started growing already. Considering I washed all the dirt out of the root systems before I put most of the herbs in there (cuttings is easier, but slower) they've done very well for a few days time. The bean, as is seen only a few days ago in the photo, has circled the bed, other leaders are now climbing everything they can, it can get 5-6 coils on the pump lead overnight. I can tame it hehe.

Last edited:
G

Chamomile

Chamomile

Other Names: Camomile, Chamomile, Wild Chamomile, Sweet Chamomile, German Chamomile, Hungarian Chamomile, Mayweed, Scented Mayweed, Pineapple Weed

One of the most popular herbal teas.

Many applications in herbal medicine.

Known as The 'Plant Doctor' because of it's ability to encourage other plants to increase their essential oil & so taste & smell stronger & more vital.

Chamomile tea is used as a liquid feed and plant tonic, effective against a number of plant diseases.The dried flowers are used as an insect repellent.

The entire plant has a pineapple scent (apple to some) and planted in the garden is said to help sickly plants to grow.

The flowers are edible and can be used in salads or cold or warm drinks.

Relaxing tea: To 1 cup boiling water add 2 tsp. dried flowers. Steep covered for 10 min.

For Bath: Use ½ to 1 cup fresh or dried herb tied in linen bag. Place in tub with hot water let soak for 10 min. then add cold water to the temp. you like. Do not add soap to bath, as it will coat your skin and not allow the Chamomile to penetrate. Will soothe tired muscles and feet.

Also for colds or when you feel really bad, combine drinking the tea while soaking in the bath.

Folklore

The Egyptians dedicated Chamomile to their sun god and valued it over all other herbs for its healing qualities. Due to its sedative and relaxing properties Chamomile was an ingredient in love potions in the middle ages.

:nono: "Chamomile tea Dear?" :laughing:

And for those who understand it = "The chief constituent of Chamaemelum have been identified as esters of angelic and tiglic, together with amyl and isobutyl alcohol's. It also contains anthemol and a hydrocarbon anthemene. The flowers contain various volatile oils including proazulenes. Upon steam distillation these proazulenes produce chamazulene, this is remarkably anti-allergenic and is useful in the treatment of asthma and hay fever."

G

Coriander

Coriander

Other Names: Chinese Parsley, Cilantro, Dizzycorn, Japanese Parsley.

I was interested in this plant for several reasons.

For Myself

Coriander is classed as a 'superfood'. Extremelely high nutritional value.

Coriander seeds have a health-supporting reputation that is high on the list of the healing spices. In parts of Europe, coriander has traditionally been referred to as an "anti-diabetic" plant. In parts of India, it has traditionally been used for its anti-inflammatory properties. In the United States, coriander has recently been studied for its cholesterol-lowering effects.

And one of it's medical attributes is it stops flatulence. Did I mention there's a bean growing with this thing?

Let's all take a moment to reflect on the previous fart gag and it's immaturity that has demeaned the whole thread :puppydoge :badday:

A Phytonutrient-Dense Herb

Many of the healing properties of coriander can be attributed to its exceptional phytonutrient content. Coriander's volatile oil is rich in beneficial phytonutrients, including carvone, geraniol, limonene, borneol, camphor, elemol, and linalool. Coriander's flavonoids include quercitin, kaempferol, rhamnetin, and epigenin. Plus, coridander contains active phenolic acid compounds, including caffeic and chlorogenic acid.

Nutrient As Well As Phytonutrient-Dense

Not only is coriander replete with a variety of phytonutrients, this exceptional herb emerged as an important source of many traditional nutrients. Based on nutrient density ranking process, coriander qualifies as a very good source of dietary fiber, iron, magnesium and manganese.

For My Fish

Coriander contains an antioxidant that helps prevent animal fats from turning rancid. It also contains substances that kill meat-spoiling bacteria and fungi. These same substances also prevent infection in wounds.

For My Plants

Coriander is a fungicide and insecticide. The growing plant repels aphids. A spray made by boiling of one part coriander leaves and one part anise* seeds in two parts of water is very effective against red spider mites and woolly aphids.

Plant Description and Cultivation

A herbaceous hardy annual, of the parsley family, occasionally surviving into a second year. Its height averages 60 cm (2 ft). Its erect slender stems are branching and bright green. Small pink, pale blue or white flowers. Upper leaves are wispy and finely divided, the lower broad, undivided. Fruits are crowned with minute calyx.

Coriander is grown from seed. It prefers warm dry conditions. For seed, it is sown in the spring, needing little maintenance. Harvest in about ninety days as soon as seeds are ripe and before they drop. An indication of ripeness is that the seeds’ aroma turns pleasant. For the leaf, the seeds are sown during the summer.

*Must look into anise it is mentioned with Tarragon too.

G

French Tarragon

French Tarragon

Artemisia dracunculus var. sativa.

There is also Russian and Spanish Tarragon. French Tarragon is superior in flavour and aroma.

Some History & Lore

Long ago, it was used to treat snakebite, and pilgrims of the Middle Ages wore some on their boots when they started out on journeys. The juices of French tarragon and fennel were combined to make a favorite drink for the kings of India. It made its way into English gardens during the reign of Henry the VIII, and one legend has it that he divorced Catherine of Aragon because of her reckless use of the herb. Thomas Jefferson was an early distributor of French tarragon in the US.

Harvest and Use

French tarragon is grown for its distinctively flavored leaves. Its mint-anise taste is particularly suited to vinegar and fish. It was also used to stimulate the appetite, relieve flatulence :nono: and colic, cure rheumatism, and relieve toothache. Chew on a leaf and you will feel a numbness in your tongue.

French tarragon has a few uses beyond the culinary. It has antioxidant and antifungal properties making it a good food preservative. It has been found in perfumes, soaps, cosmetics, and liqueurs. It is one of the fines herbes in French cooking. This classic combination is made up of four fresh herbs: tarragon, thyme, parsley, and chervil. It is also found in Herbes de Provence, which, my friend from Provence informs me, is not a combination of set herbs, but simply a blend of herbs found in the Mediterranean region.

A few fresh leaves are harvested by snipping with a scissors. Two large harvests can generally be taken in the second year. The first cutting is possible when the plant reaches 8 to 10 inches tall. Cut the entire plant about 2" above the ground. Preserve tarragon either by freezing or putting it in vinegar rather than drying it because it loses flavor and the leaves can turn brown when dried.

Cultivation and Propagation

French tarragon likes rich, sandy, well-drained loam with a pH of 6.9, in full or partial shade. Mulching with shredded bark protects it from harsh winters. Cut it back to the ground in spring, remove dead stems, and trim to shape. It does not like acid, wet soil, which can cause root rot and mildew.

When companion planting, French tarragon will enhance the growth of any vegetable it is near.

G

Nasturtium (Watercress)

Nasturtium (Watercress)

In studying herbs I find conflict of opinion quite common. One site states watercress likes tomatoes, another that tomatoes don't like watercress...

My personal experience is that watercress and Toms are fine together, and the watercress with the toms looks healthier, fresher, greener, no insects. The watercress in it's own bed has issues.

Lore & History

Nasturtiums are from South America. The conquistadors brought these brightly colored plants back to Spain in the 1500's. The Indians of Peru used the leaves as a tea to treat coughs, colds and the flu, as well as menstrual and respiratory difficulties. Being high in vitamin C, nasturtiums act as a natural antibiotic, and as such were used topically as a poultice for minor cuts and scratches. Nasturtiums are also used in Ayurvedic medicine. The leaves are rubbed on the gums to stimulate and cleanse them. Because of it origins, early English herbalists referred to nasturtiums as "Indian cress."

Once introduced to European gardens, nasturtium's popularity caught on. Monet was rather fond of them and planted them in the border of the pathway that led to the front door of his home in Giverny. Later, during World War Two, dried ground nasturtium seeds were used as a substitute for black pepper, which was unattainable.

Companion

Nasturtium are well-known to attract caterpillars, so planting them alongside or around vegetables such as lettuce or cabbage will protect them, as the egg-laying insects will tend to prefer the nasturtium. This is called a trap crop.

Orange colored Nasturtiums will deter Aphids, Squash Bug & Striped Pumpkin Beetles, yellow ones tend to attract the beetles! So plant orange Nasturtium close to your garden to deter insects, & plant yellow Nasturtium far away from the garden to attract the insects. Nasturtium is excellent in the Orchard & will control the Woolly Aphid if left to wander.

What's Up with the conflict?

One site recommends this plant for fruit trees, another states it's bad. And the previous tomatoes issue...

My Review

As for companion planting... Nasturtium grows fast and easily providing excellent ground cover. This will assist in water saturation, ground temperature maintenance, mulch cover, and soil containment.

Nasturtium has been studied recently and proven to remove various heavy metals. A handy addition to a system that's major input is fish food. The plant will clean waterbodies (but only copes with a certain level of pollution itself)

Tastes great, raw and cooked, on sandwiches, in salads stews and casseroles. A worthy addition to the garden providing beautiful wee flowers when uncropped and a steady supply of highly nutritious greens when cropped. Definately an aphid trapping crop, but no aphids in the nasturtium in the scoria beds...

This plant is very easy to maintain, and should pull insects out of your plants. The 1st aphids have found my grow, so we'll see. Will investigate and report some more...

Latest posts

Latest posts