What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DJ Short articles

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
anyone ever chuck with a male like this before?

I used a mutant f13 male that had female branches. I have only popped 6 seeds and they were all girls w/ no hermies.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like to respect the thread starter, I have organized all known to me DJ articles in "one" page here, I believe some were from CC forum... it's just easier to cut and paste this way if someone wants it in a all in one format..

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Dj Short has so many amazing articles out there. I think I have read all of them a few times each minimum. Great breeder and solid advice throughout.

WelderDan

Veteran
i have a blue satellite/blubonic male that is like this i will post pics soon... i was wondering how rare they actually are... how lucky am i?

In 30 odd years of growing, I have had one, and I tossed it because I had no idea just what I had at the time. I just thought "wow, what a freak plant" and ditched it.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
In 30 odd years of growing, I have had one, and I tossed it because I had no idea just what I had at the time. I just thought "wow, what a freak plant" and ditched it.
oh no WD... i almost did that but luckily i consulted DJ's book before i eliminated it, what strain was yours?

WelderDan

Veteran
oh no WD... i almost did that but luckily i consulted DJ's book before i eliminated it, what strain was yours?

I think it was a Blueberry cross. I've chucked so much pollen since then I forget now. I read that DJ Short article about a month after I ditched it and I was like "D'oh!!!!!!"

Not the first dumb ass move I've made.:dance013:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
my backward hermie has seeded itself and the seeds are germinating... i am excited as DJ states that they dont all produce viable seed... does anybody know what i should expect, will they be males or females will there be different phenos?

Mt Toaker

Ok so after doing a lot of reading about breeding lately I have a few questions, more specifically towards the DJ Short articles.

In the Origins of Blueberry DJ speaks of the Juicyfruit Thai, the Highland Thai and the Afghani. He also speaks about choosing specific land race varieties, in another article, for parent stock and they should only be, at most, one generation removed from their natural habitat. I read also that it is important to have stable genetics as your parent stock when beginning a breeding project. So here is my question.

If these are true land race varieties and you are using seeds straight from Afghanistan or Thailand from specific regional areas aren't the genetics of these land race varieties contain much variation?

If so, then wouldn't it be appropriate to stabilize that indigenous strain for the breeding project's parent stock before the initial breeding to the first generation of they hybrid stock? Are land race seeds popped until the desired traits are discovered and then they hybrid breeding begins?

Or is it that these land race varieties are isolated to where they are stable enough for breeding projects?

I look forward to some good input on this. I could be a little off here but I think I am finally beginning to grasp a lot of breeding concepts.

supermanlives

Veteran
looks interesting... did you grow out any seeds from those males?

the hermie males that pollinated them selves from sb havent been viable yet. just planted the last still hoping. the hermie males that pollinated females have produced viable seeds. growing em now. the c99 male i had produced viable seeds when applied to a female too. i made several crosses and no hermies resulted.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
the hermie males that pollinated them selves from sb havent been viable yet. just planted the last still hoping. the hermie males that pollinated females have produced viable seeds. growing em now. the c99 male i had produced viable seeds when applied to a female too. i made several crosses and no hermies resulted.
ok super did you notice a higher male to female ratio in those seeds?