What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hermaphrodite: need objective eye to confirm

Mary57

High,

This is obviously a hermaphrodite, isn't it?

I thought so; I was just in denial because it is my Strawberry Banana clone from a reputable source and I was so excited. It's in my bud tent so I can probably write off the whole grow as far as sinsemilla is concerned, even though it isn't quite two weeks into bud and I might get some cool hybrid seeds out of my mistake.

Mostly I just want you to pat me on the head and say, "Good job, newbie!" but I also want advice on what I might have done wrong with her, whether I should even bother flipping the clone I took from her, or whether I should drop everything to run to the dispensary and get another clone from the same mother RIGHT AWAY before the all sell out, lol.

It's HPRC in Arcata and they also have Romie and Peach Ringz clones if Strawberry Banana wasn't a very good choice for a newbie, lol, I was just really looking forward to smoking this strain.

:beat-dead

Boo hoo.

igrowone

Veteran
it does look like a male flower
extreme resort, pluck the male flowers by hand
it can be done but a lot of work
and you will get some seeds but a reduced number
some herms give up herming so plucking could get you across that bridge
but all herms I've dealt with keep on giving

Mary57

Nah, it's from a very reputable source. I wish I could just blame the dispensary.

;)

Maybe I can just pinch off all the nanners every day instead of watching TV or making friends of my own species?

This is supposed to be my meds, not any sort of a commercial grow; do I HAVE to kill him?

/dork

:laughing:

I was much worse with my first male and yes, he was a very good daddy and I'm still smoking his daughters.

FletchF.Fletch

It all boils down to How Male it turns out to be. An occaisional flower can picked off, if it's goes 50/50 with lots of both parts you'll seed everything with hermie prone pollen. Pro Growers would scrap it instantly as part of the whole process of culling anything that exhibits undesirable traits. I've had plants that indicated Female subsequently produce Male flowers which I picked from the plant and had those plants stop producing any more Male parts. This is not what usually happens. Typically, you pick off the first you see then it makes more and then it gets pulled.

wunderbra

Get this flowered off. If it's a Herm, not a male, this is likely to give some interesting Androgynous cannabis effects that need to be researched and reposted asap. Heh. Cheers matee.

Amynamous

Did you receive the clone in the mail. If so, perhaps it’s stressed due to being in a dark box for an extended period?
I believe many people make too much out out of seeded flowers when it comes to personal grows. I enjoy pollen chucking and half of what i grow contains seeds. I’ve yet to notice a discernible difference in potency or terpene profile between seeded and non-seeded cannabis.
Fwiw, some of the world’s most popular strains came from hermied parented bag seed.
Personally, i would flower her and pick off the occasional nanner.

Mary57

:D

Well why not, lol. Seeds are expensive and he's still a girl, so maybe they'll be not-exactly-feminized but more like my first outdoor grow, one boy and five girls, which were probably hermie seeds anyway.

I might get some new blood in the bagseed and Strawberry Banana X Lemon Dosi and Strawberry Banana X GG-4 both sound interesting.

I only got three seeds from the hermie I didn't notice, or else I haven't found the others yet.

My doctor would be annoyed, but oh well. Plant parenthood is therapeutic too, isn't it?

:plant grow:

FletchF.Fletch

Sometimes it works. Check my picture of Gorilla Zkittlez x Glookies in the Barney's thread. One Male flower on a very Loud Glookies plant pollinated some of the plants around it. So far all the plants I've grown out have been Female and None have shown intersex/hermaphroditic tendencies. The Maui Wowie x Glookies was Insane, just one seed found so far though on that one.

Mary57

If you got it at a dispensary will they replace it?

No need; I already cloned the clone and a knowledgeable budtender called me back and helped me troubleshoot.

The owner of the dispensary isn't a dude, she's a fucking legend, so that's probably why I had trouble believing my eyes. It turns out that they haven't been growing this strain for very long, but the budtender who called me had it hermie before and we think it was a light leak in my tent.

It was ten bucks and I'm sure they would have replaced it if I had needed them to. At this point, it's a lesson learned, a minor setback towards better health, and most likely some novel bagseed to mess around with.

Thank you so much, everyone.

igrowone

Veteran
could be light leak
that's why it's on the go to list of explanations
it's difficult to refute
as mentioned seeded bud can be good bud
actually it can be better, depends on the effect you seek
what it definitely will be is less bud
a fully seeded plant is about 1/4 the effective bud weight of an unseeded plant(or worse)
that is the crime of the hermie

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Kill it, forget it, don't use its pollen, don't grow its seeds. Sometimes genocide is needed.
Don't listen to anyone quoting Rez's excuses.

Mary57

I'm pretty sure s/he's boinked the whole damned tent by now and I double-checked that I flipped him/her/them on the 7th, so not even two weeks into flower and s/he's definitely chucking pollen.

:beat-dead

If I'd done this on purpose with colloidal silver, they'd actually be some interesting feminized seeds and I'd be very proud of myself.

If anyone is interested in growing them out, I'll be able to accept PMs soon and they will be Lemon Dosi x Strawberry Banana and GG-4 x Strawberry Banana.

FYI, the Lemon Dosi was for insomnia, the Strawberry Banana was about half and half recreational and self-de-asshole-ification, and the GG-4 thread is here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65817

Another lesson learned: I sure am glad I decided on a smaller bud tent and took "too many" cuttings.