What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smartphones can get f***ed

M

member 505892

Just wanted to vent.... i recently bought myself the first semi expensive 'smartphone'.... what a PITA....

Too much stuff crammed into the tiny screen, always does things i don't want it to do, clicks on things i don't want it to, doesn't click on things i want it to.... swipes when i don't want to swipe, swipes too far.... i was close to smashing the thing with a hammer and going back to my old basic phone....

This is a phone that has good reviews too.

Maybe i'll get used to it with time but i'm not really fussed to learn.... who really needs or wants that much stuff on a little PITA device anyway?? Not me.

Laptops are so much better.

End rant. :redface:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Oh... it's an iPhone is it?

Most new users want to smash their smartphone. I swapped my keyboard to a 3x4 straight away or mine would of gone to. I'm often getting a word right after 5 attempts. I forgive it though because carrying the internet is a huge plus. Otherwise I would go back to my banana

M

member 505892

No it's not an iPhone it's a Google phone.... it's not a high end one but reviews say it's very good for the price.

Maybe it is but i've never been a phone person.... good to have, but i will hardly use it.
I won't be updating for a loooong time.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
I use a dumb phone, I have no need for a smart phone, I even had internet disabled on my dumb phone as they charge AU$1 per megabyte.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
lol, wait until homeless guy finds out the battery is only projected to last 1 1/2 yrs. and can't be replaced! f***ed indeed! :D

Cvh

Supermod
I love smartphones. But I'm of the younger generation, one of the rookies here on the forum. Maybe that's the difference.

Don't drop it though, it breaks fairly easily.

M

member 505892

lol, wait until homeless guy finds out the battery is only projected to last 1 1/2 yrs. and can't be replaced! f***ed indeed! :D

In the reviews i read it says that this phone will last all day on a single charge if used moderately.... it lasts about 5-6 days for me :biglaugh:

Maybe that means i'll get 5 years out of my battery if it's projected for 1-5 years lifespan?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
In the reviews i read it says that this phone will last all day on a single charge if used moderately.... it lasts about 5-6 days for me :biglaugh:

Maybe that means i'll get 5 years out of my battery if it's projected for 1-5 years lifespan?
It's a Lithium battery = 300-500 recharges

M

member 505892

It's a Lithium battery = 300-500 recharges

So i could possibly milk 5 years out of it? :thinking: :thinking: :bigeye: :bigeye:

When they say with moderate usage should last one day and with low usage 1.5 - 2 days they didn't mean only 5 minutes usage per day?

Max Headroom

Veteran
fuck smartphones. i mean they are a technical marvel but i hate them. leaving aside the huge privacy/surveillance concerns, their usage is just so cumbersome.
as someone who is a power user on desktop pc's, using a phone feels like someone tied a hand behind my back and cut off 3 of my fingers on the other one.

i bought a bunch of flip-phones years ago, they should last me for the forseeable future.

M

member 505892

fuck smartphones. i mean they are a technical marvel but i hate them. leaving aside the huge privacy/surveillance concerns, their usage is just so cumbersome.
as someone who is a power user on desktop pc's, using a phone feels like someone tied a hand behind my back and cut off 3 of my fingers on the other one.

i bought a bunch of flip-phones years ago, they should last me for the forseeable future.

They seem like they are designed for people who just want to take photos and post to instagram or use social media, not really to have multiple tabs open which you can come and go from.

They have the ability to do a lot but are not practical for doing a lot.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
So i could possibly milk 5 years out of it? :thinking: :thinking: :bigeye: :bigeye:

When they say with moderate usage should last one day and with low usage 1.5 - 2 days they didn't mean only 5 minutes usage per day?
I have a Samsung Galaxy and easily get 1-1.25 week on a single charge. I've had the phone for over 3 yrs. That being said, I had a phone... that only lasted me a yr before it started to falter. There are reasons for that:

• we live in a consumer society, anyone think that the economy is doing well, well... check again. The stock market might be doing well (artificial inflation) BUT, there is no disposable income, hasn't been for years but, that is a conversation by itself;
  • a consumer society is "repair by replacement" vice fixing things = less jobs. Less jobs = less spending;
  • Not all lithium batteries are created equal. Short story... it is the impurities in lithium batteries that causes them to fail prematurely. A battery should last 300-500 recharges and has "no memory" (remember the old NiCads) where you had to let the battery drain fully before recharge. If you want the longer version (on Li Ion/polymer batteries), PM me;
  • Once upon a time, default settings were set to zero, this included, keeping your settings as is when there was an update. This is no longer the case. Some setting these days default to 1 (on). I recommend checking your phone settings after each update and when your bored, at least once a month. There are diagnostic tools available on your phone that will show you battery leak/drain, but hey, only children know where all those are at (just kidding). These settings are normally found wrt Internet and it's functions or Apps. <--- That is a deadly one, and especially one that is used in non related tracking...
  • ... and yes you should be very weary of Big Tech. Like I said things where so much simpler when phones had a cord or, yet again when phones were used to make "phone calls". There was nothing wrong with an old Nokia. It did what it was designed for (making phone calls); and
  • YouTube has a lot of videos on how to check and what to do with "those pesky settings". I had some funny shit going on last fall, where my battery lasted 3 maybe 4 days, vice a week. I seldom use my phone. Got in and fixed it and not only did I gain my week back, I added a few days.

Sunshineinabag

Just wanted to vent.... i recently bought myself the first semi expensive 'smartphone'.... what a PITA....

Too much stuff crammed into the tiny screen, always does things i don't want it to do, clicks on things i don't want it to, doesn't click on things i want it to.... swipes when i don't want to swipe, swipes too far.... i was close to smashing the thing with a hammer and going back to my old basic phone....

This is a phone that has good reviews too.

Maybe i'll get used to it with time but i'm not really fussed to learn.... who really needs or wants that much stuff on a little PITA device anyway?? Not me.

Laptops are so much better.

End rant. :redface:

I like handshakes and conversation over fishing areas...I'm convinced brilliant people market devices to devolve those willing to indulge. Wanna know what my phone is used for? Icmag access period

imiubu

No it's not an iPhone it's a Google phone.... it's not a high end one but reviews say it's very good for the price.

Maybe it is but i've never been a phone person.... good to have, but i will hardly use it.
I won't be updating for a loooong time.

Consider setting your updates to do so automatically. If you think your phone sucks now... don't update it and see what occurs.

Upgrading however... I have an iphone6 that is just now to the point where it won't update to the most recent OS. If I wanted all the fancy functions to work smoothly, I would need to upgrade to a new phone. I wouldn't have some 'fancy' phone if it weren't for the 'family plan' thingy. I do not use it for the internet.

Heck, I still run a magic jack as my land line and could care less about this pocket devise. Mostly, I tend to forget I have it.
Guess my age is showing haha.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I've got an Android phone...was like $30. I use Total Wireless...$50/month including data. I don't use a computer, I just use this thing. I think they're pretty awesome. Anything I can help with homeless guy or others? :dance:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
lol, it's all about planned obsolescence. I have a Galaxy S5 from 2014, I've replaced the battery once and it's still going strong.

When it goes, Imma get me a flip phone! :bigeye: