What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Two separate pollens applied to one female

Treevly

I wouldn't wet it down.

Sorry, I don't follow. I just want to pollinate and rain is threatening in a few hours. I am worried about rain killing the pollen, but if the plant can get pregnant in 1/2 hour or so after application, that's OK.

brickweeder

Sorry, I don't follow. I just want to pollinate and rain is threatening in a few hours. I am worried about rain killing the pollen, but if the plant can get pregnant in 1/2 hour or so after application, that's OK.

An hour is more than enough time...hit them and the pollination will be successful if it rains an hour later.

CannaDaBiz

Just rub one pollen to one branch and mark it, so you know what pollen was used on it and then do same for other branch.

Nothing more complex in it, just use small brush or something so you can be selective on which buds you pollinate and which you dont.

Let the plants be away from others and away from wind breezes for some hours and then spray with tons of water to kill excess pollen on it and move it to its normal environment. Same as you would do with pollinating using single pollen. It doesent matter if you use 1 or 10 different pollens on a female if you know which branch you pollinate with what pollen.

Treevly

Just rub one pollen to one branch and mark it, so you know what pollen was used on it and then do same for other branch.

Nothing more complex in it, just use small brush or something so you can be selective on which buds you pollinate and which you dont.

Let the plants be away from others and away from wind breezes for some hours and then spray with tons of water to kill excess pollen on it and move it to its normal environment. Same as you would do with pollinating using single pollen. It doesent matter if you use 1 or 10 different pollens on a female if you know which branch you pollinate with what pollen.

Thank you. That was my approach, more or less. For me it would be impossible on an even moderately windy day. Also, I have to do it at night for security reasons, and dew can make things difficult, so I choose buds which are somewhat protected by leaves & buds above, usually close to the stalk.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Making multiple crosses on a single mother plant is simple with some paper or parchment bags and you're on the money with wetting the plant down as well.

This is how I go about doing it for one mother plant...

I'll source paper or parchment bags (one for each pollen type) to get my (collected) pollen ready for distribution.
-Place a pinch of pollen in one corner of the bag and fold it up so the pollen cannot escape.
-Put the bag on the branch you would like to pollinate being very careful not to open the corner up with the pollen in it.
-Rubber band or tape the bag shut so that it seals as well as possible around the branch being pollinated.
-Open the corner with the pollen and shake the crap out of the bag for a few seconds then come back and shake it again a few minutes later.
-Do this for each pollen type you plan on using.
- Leave the bags on the branch for a minimum of 30 minutes but not more than 2 days.
-Once you are ready to remove the bags spray the entire plant down as well as any plants that are nearby that you cannot move.
-When you open the bags do so carefully and then spray water up into the bags to kill any remaining pollen. Do this for each bag on the plant.
-Remove the bags and you are finished... let the plants grow as normal. Keep them well fed and you should have some beautiful healthy seeds in the near future.