What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tap water with organic fertilizer?

h.h.

Veteran
Thanks. I have thought about adding molasses or ewc. Can you top dress ewc or would you habe to do a tra? I would rather not have to do teas. I do not have pumps. Think it would be worth it to top dress in ewc every 2 weeks? The molasses would help with different things too right? I have read that ascorbic acid like vitamin c powder would neutralize chloramine on there.

Vitamin C is good for the plant as well. I used lemons when I had a tree.

Top dressing every two weeks. If you have the space and castings. Put it in a bucket of water and stir it for a day. You don’t need a set up for tea. Not as efficient in multiplying microbes using a pump. Just do it more often.

I used a dirt tea with coco. Dirt and water. Stir it up and use it while all the fines are still in suspension. The clay particles will stick to the coco and serves to hold onto the nutrients better. It will hold moisture better.

40degsouth

Ascorbic acid is a chelator and is the reason it was included in Tom Hill’s much debated Brix Mix!!
Enjoy the rabbit hole!!
Cheers,

h.h.

Veteran
Did you say compost?

I use regular biochar plus marine biochar. The marine provides a few nutrients. A lot of surface area will provide a home for the microbes but they’ll still be hungry.

troutman

Seed Whore
I actually have a water conditioner for my fish tanks that does it. Check your local fish pet store if you can or get it online. :tiphat:

It's called Nutrafin AquaPlus and my 16.9 oz bottle can treat up to 1,000 US gallons of tap water. :)

BTW: I'm raising some trout fingerlings now and if it's safe for them I can guarantee you it's safe for your plants.

Dosage:

To remove chlorine:

5 mL treats 38 L (10 U.S. gal)

To remove chloramine:

10 mL treats 38 L (10 U.S. gal)

81%2B8zUxxfzL._AC_SY879_.jpg

herbgreen

Veteran
That's interesting most of those use a chemcial to remove chlorine and chloramide

...but read closer its a stress reduction patented blend for stressed out fish

valerian root extract and chamomile ? Its to mellow out your fish!!! LoL

That's not going remove chloramide/chlorine

Its probably still got Sodium thiosulfate which youll have to determine if thats ok for you to use

If it removes heavy metals which include things the plant uses can be a problem

I think unless you have chloramides in your water bubbling oxygenates water & removes chlorine

And you can make teas that way

If people are finding blackstrap mollasses helps to deactivate chlorine ect then thats all you need anyway

It will crank your humidity... might want to keep it in veg room

There are a few threads on this aquarium stuff out there...

just google

aquarium chlorine remover good for plants?

x

mexweed

Veteran
tap water ph to ~6 with a little under an 1/8 tsp of vitamin c powder, some fish/crab/fungi/bacteria mixed in happy frog, a 1-1-1 bison compost or a 2-2-2 insect frass aerated for 24 hours and microbes for flowering

picture.php

xerb

My solution is real easy

My solution is real easy

My quick and easy solution to get rid of chlorine and chloramine in tap water.

Fill a few buckets with water, add a small handful of organic alfalfa pellets to each. Chlorine and chloramine should be gone within a few hours.
Stir before use.

A fifty pound sack of pellets costs me about $6 at the feed store, and will last me about a year.

In our area the water company really increases the level of this crap when ever it rains. The levels are high enough to really put most people off. I don't want to drink it. Neither do my plants.

Happy Vegan Organic Seedlings - 12 days old.

Best of Luck, XERB