What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dumbest thing you have ever done as a kid?

'Boogieman'

As the title suggests, name the dumbest thing you have ever done as a kid. I will go first...

One day when I was a kid my mom forced me to watch Merry Poppins, I hated the movie but watching her "parachute" with an umbrella gave me some interesting ideas. Not too long after that I found myself up in a tree with a big black trash bag instead of an umbrella. I jumped hitting many branches on the way down. I broke my ankle, a few ribs, and had to get stitches on my legs from deep cuts.

I still laugh thinking about it and look forward to other hilarious stories.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Back when families used clothes lines, we lived in a house that had a brick wall and the clothesline was close by. As a kid watching tarzan and superman, how hard could it be to jump off the wall and fly to the lines, grab them and go to the ground?

It didn't work.
There are so many and I can't remember them all. Good thing the ER wasn't expensive back then as my dad was a full time job and full schedule school guy back then. Poor. I got hurt so many times knew me at the ER.

Boys will be boys

Bobby Boucher

Tippytoe'd up on a barstool to stick my finger into a light socket.

Pretty sure I could still qualify for some kind financial assistance.

X

xavier7995

Tippytoe'd up on a barstool to stick my finger into a light socket.

Pretty sure I could still qualify for some kind financial assistance.

Wanted to figure out how to use a Bobby pin to pick locks. Was at this gym with my dad and they had a bunch of lockers with locks, and I saw a Bobby pin in the floor...but alas, it had plastic on the ends and I couldn't get it into the key hole to pick locks. So my stupid ass jammed it into an electrical socket to melt the plastic. Sparks started shooting out so I panicked and grabbed the thing to pull it out. Luckily I didnt get fried, but it did manage to burn through my finger horizontally under the nail till it hit bone. Didnt bleed as it cauterized as it went. I was five or six so I wandered off to find my pops and head to the hospital.

H

hard rain

I used a knife to remove toast from a toaster and got zapped. I knew I shouldn't do it and was thinking that the whole time, but still did it anyway.
Kiddies don't put a knife into a toaster, especially if it is plugged in and turned on.

BlueBlazer

What were we talking about?
Veteran
When I was in grade school in, me and a few of my friends would concoct chemical weapons to use on the fire ants. We'd just grab household cleaning items and mix away (of course locked in a small bathroom). It was just pure luck that we never mixed ammonia with bleach . . .

Also, there were more times than I can count that with the invincibility of youth we pulled other stupid maneuvers that would have given our parents strokes if they'd have known.

St. Phatty

Went to East Palo Alto to try and learn how to hot-wire a car

because I wanted to elope with this woman

in a stolen Ferrari.

And that was without drugs. :woohoo:

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Purple Micro Dot

Purple Micro Dot

My best friend and I scored two double hits of Purple Micro Dot during lunch hour in Junior "High". We were in grade 8, at the ripe old age of 14.

Rather than saving it for more appropriate occasion, we both decided to take it, and attended school that afternoon.

BAD IDEA....... :dunno:

RMS

:smoweed:

Bobby Boucher

Tried to strap rollerblades on and jump off my roof when I was 11. Clipped the gutter and wound up in a long arm pink cast for 3 months.

Dumber yet, I kept trying. Took me 10 years to regain the courage, but yeah, I'd like to think of myself as the king of stupid.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I blew up a firecracker in my hand. I didn't have a grip on it because I was about to flip it. That probably saved a finger or two.

It left my hand numb but stinging (as if that makes sense).

It took for the shock to wear off before I was sure I could still count to ten.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The events leading up to my first hospitalization are still missing for me, except I know I was riding my bike.

Next thing I remember was waking up in the back seat of my mom's Pinto, screaming bloody murder with road rash on what seemed like every exposed piece of skin on my body, including my face.

No clue what happened. No broken bones. Just a lot of contusions and bruises and a mild concussion.

I remember all the other dumb shit I did though.:D

Like shooting arrows at each other trying to grab them out of the air. Or Roman Candle wars in our canoes. Or BB gun wars. How we all escaped serious injury is beyond me. Divine intervention? Doubtful. More like dumb luck.

I did have one broken bone when I was nine. I used to skateboard to school every day, and there was a looong steep hill on the way to school. On the way home I would just bomb down it, and I wouldn't have to pump the entire rest of the way home, a good half mile. I'd done it a hundred times, had to avoid a car here and there, no big deal. One day coming home, bombed down the hill at full clip, made it all the way to my driveway, nailed a small rock with my left front wheel and cart wheeled about 15 - 20 feet, breaking my left arm.

The reason I mention the hill is that was the justification my mom used to take away my skateboard, even though I broke my arm in our driveway, 1/2 mile away. I was so pissed.

Last edited:

ChinggisKhaan

Way back in the summer of 1975 me and my neighborhood friend were entertaining his cousins from out of state.

We camped out the night before and then went to my backyard neighbors tree fort. I brought a tennis ball can full of gasoline for the "camp fire"

Being accident prone I was handling the gas carefully. I got lazy and left the lid off and placed it onto a shelf behind me. I lit the fire and backed up, knocking the can full of gas onto me.

3rd degree burns on 50% of my body, almost bit it when I felt myself blacking out. I got a surge of Adrenalin and jumped.

Tough story to tell even 44 years later on the internet. Happy to say that I love life and always look on the bright side.

OkThen

1974, 67 Opel Kadette
Slow turn over, would not start
Decided to check the battery fluid level by holding a lighter over the open battery.
I might have gotten a few singed eyebrow hairs, but no major damage.
Who knew battery acid was explosive?, never do that again ;^)

Im'One

Dad was repairing the electric fence, my cousins dared me to plug the fence charger back in.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I used to skateboard... ... One day coming home, bombed down the hill at full clip, made it all the way to my driveway, nailed a small rock with my left front wheel and cart wheeled about 15 - 20 feet, breaking my left arm.

Ah, the old hard wheels. I did the same on a big long downhill but my parents were in the car riding looking at house lots in a new hilly subdivision, and I was out on the board. A couple weeks later at scout camp I earned a mile swim merit badge with that cast wrapped in plastic.

Tried to set a roll of paper towels on fire - while on the rack.
Took the family car out of gear while it was parked on a sloped driveway. Dad barely got it in time. Cut the tip of a finger off while about 2 miles away at a mall running through trailer displays (sharp edge on the heater duct). Ran into nearest store gushing blood - a mens suit store. That was just some stuff up to 2nd grade.

We were free range kids back then.

Last edited:
X

xavier7995

I was building a fort and one side was part of a chain link fence. I found some long metal poles and wedged them between the fence and a tree to make the roof about 5-7 feet off the ground. Threw a tarp over it. It wasn't quite right so I walked out across the fence holding onto tree branches...stepped on one of the poles and it sort of buckled under me and I went down. The pole sprang up as I was falling and it went right through my upper thigh next to my balls. I was hanging upside down dangling there wondering if anyone would find me. I didnt think they would, so had to push against the pole and get it to tear through the rest of my thigh and then fell on my head. Shit was deep and could see the bone, walked home. My parents had people over so I just very casually asked them to come inside for another trip to the hospital.

I have had a boatload of terrible injuries but didnt break a bone until I was like 30 and caught my hand in a car door. I think its cause I like pizza and cheese has calcium.

Edit: saw a drug mention. First time trying acid my buddy got a bunch of "quads" so 4 hits in 1. We split one and then ten minutes later didnt feel it. Smoked a bowl and each took more. Headed out to dinner with the parents. Oh....takes a bit...so these stuffed shells...yep.

Green Squall

I did so much stupid shit as a kid, its a miracle that I didn't seriously harm myself or compile a criminal record. A lot of it I still don't feel comfortable talking about.
Here's a few minor things that come to mind...
One summer I jumped off a pier, not knowing there was a dock below. How I didn't break my leg or back is beyond me. My parents saw the bruise and thought a car hit me lol.
I also once drove my moms Subaru Outback through the yard trying to impress my friends, promptly getting it stuck in a stream. Had to call a tow truck for that one.
Freshman year of high school, I flew alone for the first time and stole a life jacket from the plane and used it in the hotel pool. That one still makes me shudder.
I was definitely a handful back then, but you know what happened? I discovered weed and completely mellowed out and left my destructive behavior behind.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Downhill steep dirt trail on my bike as a 10 year old.

Grabbed a passing bike by the sissy bar as a 10 year old.

Walking a post and rail fence as a 10 year old.

Telling a joke to a buddy and getting the punchline to my nose as a 10 year old.

Being a ten year old is tough, I'll tell ya'.

WelderDan

Veteran
Most of my "incidents" involved a bicycle. Like the time I nearly severed a toe on my little brothers 16" bike. Or the time I jumped this huge dirt mound and the handlebars spun and I went over the bars and broke a couple ribs and roadrashed the whole left side of my face.

But Imma go with pouring gas out of coke bottle into the carb of my buddy's 429 T-Bird. It backfired and a fireball came out of the carb and rolled around the hood. I came out from under the hood with my right arm on fire. That STOP-DROP-AND-ROLL drill we all did when we were kids kicked in and I dropped and rolled. Set the grass on fire in 5 or so spots. Got two nasty burns on my arm, and had to go to the ER and have them debrided. That was worse than the burn.

I have lots more, LOL, but those are some highlights.

Latest posts

Latest posts