What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Live insects specifically ladybugs near Boston?

Title says it all really, I'm looking to get some live bugs but I really don't want to pay an arm and a leg for overnight shipping. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Title says it all really, I'm looking to get some live bugs but I really don't want to pay an arm and a leg for overnight shipping. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ask friends & neighbors. if they are having the same problems there that we are here, then the ladybugs are free for the taking where they are gathering on the outer walls of homes, outbuildings etc. fellow i visited today was trimming/bagging his CBD hemp flowers, and had problems with the ladybugs being in the flowers...damned barn was CRAWLING with them.

ask friends & neighbors. if they are having the same problems there that we are here, then the ladybugs are free for the taking where they are gathering on the outer walls of homes, outbuildings etc. fellow i visited today was trimming/bagging his CBD hemp flowers, and had problems with the ladybugs being in the flowers...damned barn was CRAWLING with them.

Thanks for the advice, I haven't noticed too many ladybugs around the city and none have come into my home. Unfortunately I don't really know anyone here as I'm new to the area so that's why I was asking about a retailer.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I never understood the predatory bugs honestly. The issue is bugs on buds, why would adding more bugs help that? Like aren't they gonna eat all the "bad" bugs, then crap them out all over your plants? Either way your plants covered in bug crap. :D

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I looked at the expensive predatory mites with a microscope. The shipment was a dud. Got more and they kinda worked for a while. Spider mites indoors is a big problem. Almost certain they came from a grow shop. It sounds like a good idea but........

I'm pretty sure I brought them in from my garden during the summer and they haven't ever gone away since...fucking bastards. I bought some predator mites fr[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]om Arbico and they arrived perfectly intact you could see them crawling all over. Hopefully they do the trick and keep them down until the end of harvest.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@AgentPothead I get what you're saying but at least the predator mites aren't actively eating the plant which stresses it and also reduces production. I'll just wash my buds after harvest, I did that last time and I was really happy with the results.
[/FONT]

buzzmobile

Veteran
Ladybugs usually end up frying themselves in the lights. The strange looking larvae are the better bug eaters than adults. Larvae don't have wings and they are hungrier than adults.

What are you wanting ladybugs to eat?

I have had very good results with Encarsia formosa wasps to control white flies. I have tried several other predator insects against white flies with limited to no success.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Are there good ones and bad ones?

Are there good ones and bad ones?

Are a biting species invading north America?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I never understood the predatory bugs honestly. The issue is bugs on buds, why would adding more bugs help that? Like aren't they gonna eat all the "bad" bugs, then crap them out all over your plants? Either way your plants covered in bug crap. :D

Funny....bug manure! I like them outside...have several praying mantises that "eye" me in late summer. Indoors, they (predatory insects) are difficult to keep contained, right?