What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollen Chucker or Breeder of home grow (not commercial)

galt punk

I've been breeding for years but it's only the last couple that I've consciously started to pay attention.
Keeping notes over the years has helped with keeping things straight, and just today have discovered 'xmind' , an app that allows me to produce family trees for my lines. I've been inputting data all day and I gotta say what a relief it is to put everything into visible family trees. No more flipping through loose notes and fishing through multiple notebooks..
I have to once again thank the forum member WHIPEDMEAT for introducing me to it. I highly recommend this app for breeders. It's pretty straight forward to use and it helped me today to finally figure out where two stray lines belong.
I've even coloured coded lines to correspond with the spread sheets i've developed on google docs.
I dont generally endorse much of anything, but if you're breeding in numbers, xmind is a good tool in your tool box. Relief. So glad I joined this forum.

kingchango

I'm a huge fan of legit Chemdog Genetics. I mess around with stuff from Dominion Seed Co. and Lucky Dog Seed Co. because those dudes share a lot of the same cuts. Love that old school skunk smell, recently got some SkunkBand V2 (Dominion SkunkxHeadband) pollen. And If I find a suitable female from my Munson crop (NL5 x Dominion Skunk) I'll make some seeds to see if I can get a really nice skunky pheno.

picture.php

MintyMick

I don’t know what I am. I try to take time with what lines I am working to find keepers, but I also back stuff up via feminized pollen (if I don’t have a male) or by finding a good male - and pollenating and saving seeds for later grows.

I keep what is good, and what isn’t good usually has its cloned progeny thrown on my compost pile. Ex. I had some DP Blueberry x Pakistani F1s I popped and out of the twelve females there was only one keeper. So the clones from the remaining girls I flowered were trashed. It was a headache high so fuck that. I gave the keeper to a friend that grows that expressed interest. For me that was a shit pheno ratio for good smoke. And for me the high is the most important thing when selecting parental units for my projects. Second is if they herm when stress tested. Only after that I’ll move on to charting with Punnett squares on a whiteboard for taste/ smell, node spacing, bud size, etc.

So yeah. I guess it might depend on my ego what I call myself. I’m just a dude with a hobby that likes good weed. And if by pheno hunting/ taking time to select makes me a breeder, then I’m a breeder. But if I just run an open pollination with a shitload of girls outside with one male keeper makes me a pollen chucker then I’m a pollen chucker. I’ve done both.

I don’t know or care really about labels. I try to research what I do, I used to track lineages using notebooks, and now I use a spreadsheet, but I still carry a note book and pen in case I get a random idea. I live in Colorado where a notebook with a weed diary complete with drawings isn’t incriminating.

I have a few people helping me with projects, backing up the good and making seed archives in our freezers, but it’s mainly a hobby. One I started when I was a kid and quit after I got paranoid then picked up again later.

The last project I ran was for a friend and it took about two years and it was crossing feminized phenos of super lemon haze with each other to abate genetic drift. Not sure if it worked or not but the mother plants are still great in my opinion. And so are the selfed seeds I’ve popped.

I’m into landrace, hazes, OGs, fruity shit - pretty much anything except weed that gives me a headache.

I’ll try flavor of the month stuff, but having the newest and most talked about strains isn’t that high on my list.

J-Icky

I’m a pollen checker for sure. My grow is too small to do real selections. So for me I’ll order a pack of seeds, sprout them all and as long as they all sprouted(10-15) I’ll take the best looking 9 and toss them in flower and let their freak flags fly lol. I’ll take cuttings of all the girls so once the seed run is done I can flower those out to see what they looked like without being pregos. Once I can see their true potential I use that to see what seeds I’d want to go with first in the future. I also will toss the seeds from any female that is beyond lackluster.

For me this has worked well and it provides me with a lifetime of seeds as well as a couple keeper clones.
As for selections, I do toss any weak or unwanted mutations as they pop up before they could be added further into the gene pool.
Oh and if I have either more than 1 pack of seeds or think what I’m about to grow could mix well with something else I will save pollen. Mostly I do it for multiple packs that way I can add more variety to the gene pool with each grow of that strain.

fredstinkle

Long time lurker here to this forum, bless you all, I'm getting a bit older so I am always more than a bit sketchy about ordering seeds, but have lots of friends who smoke and I always ask them to save any seeds for me. That being said I've been collecting seeds for years, always double jarred and into the back corner of the fridge, as I sprout them I only hold back the best males and pollen chuck them to the ladies indescrimenantly and note about the ladies, usually taking female clones ahead of time or last minute, seeds get labelled and stored with new nicknames. Tested a few batches these past few years and am pleased with the results, my seeds always seem to come from some sort of high grade so I'm always counting on hybrid vigor, mother nature hasn't let me down yet. ?:plant grow::good:

WelderDan

Veteran
My name is WelderDan and I am a Pollen Chucker.

I make no illusion that I am a breeder.

I chuck pollen. I take two strains that I like and cross them, or two plants of the same breed and make F2's. I do not claim to be a breeder.

I've had some duds, and some fantastic luck. I've never gone beyond pollen chucking, mostly because I don't have the space. But it is a fun, and I enjoy it.

Everyone should give it a shot. You never know what you might get.

Mr. Stinky

I'm not a real breeder. Just have a bit of background in the science. Commercial farming has been disastrous for livestock and I've spent a couple decades working through older lines.

Mj is a passion I've had for 23 years. Theres not much like it.

Short term amnesia is my favorite day neutral. Its totally different now from the crappy auto it started as. The church/menthol/lemon is widespread now, as well as having the sexlinked trifoliate traits nearly locked in. And the vigor and yield is higher than ever.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php