What's new

Outdoor grow strains and tips

BudsOut

Hey folks,

I'm new to the forum.. I'm doing an outdoor grow here in mass and I'm wondering when my strains might start flowering and when they might be just about ready. I'm really just concerned about mold...

I'm also looking ahead to next year to plan things out better and have some more "proven" outdoor strains from this area going. It's been very difficult for me to find any decent information but it looks like I may find it on this forum (hopefully).

This season, I have an ak47 , chronic and strawberry akeil, from femmed seeds from serious seeds, a peyote cookies from barneys ( that the top just snapped off unfortunately) , a couple plants I got as clones on strainly, and three plants from a breeder named "temple of terpenes' who is from maine or vermont I believe. These seeds actually have produced what are, ostensibly, some of my most vigorous growers.

Any tips on mold, how to prevent it or deal with it, what my finishing time frame might be or strains for next season would be greatly appreciated!

AbuKeif

Hey there--

I'm surprised I only just saw this post--would be really curious to know how things turned out for you, especially the 'Temple of Terpenes' gear--I wouldn't have known that there was someone in our neck of the woods breeding strains specifically for our outdoor conditions, so thanks (although my wallet will probably be grumpy with you shortly...)

One strain that did well for me outdoors was Seedsman's Cheese, which I received as a freebie with another order--nice bud generally, and much more resistant to mold than some other stuff I was doing outside.

If you're interested in something really different, it sounds like those Himalayan landraces from Real Seed Company are pretty bulletproof when it comes to mold--take a look at Green Squall's thread to see what we can do outside if we have the space! (I believe the thread is called something like "A Taste of the Himalayas in New England.") Gotta be honest, he made me jealous, especially since my RSC Lebanese eventually experienced significant mold problems. Ours is not exactly a Mediterranean climate, so I guess I was asking for it. I'm sure GS got a much wilder-woolier blend of phenos and maybe less raw potency than one could from these very-inbred hybrid strains, but a lot of them seem to be best for indoor anyway. I know I'm excited to try some landrace stuff outside next summer.

AbuKeif

Tell me more, Jammal! You've had success with this yourself? Did you use particular commercially-available Durban and White Widow for the project?

Jammal

I got experience with both these strains, and 20 years growing experience, why this cross has not been done for outdoors yet by seed companies I don't know, 2 of the most epic and bulletproof outdoor strains...these 2 strains have been around long enough the quality is there no matter who you really go with as long it's from the old standards..both would do great in the northeast.

But I've made seeds before, especially nice if your an outdoor grower...you want solid results stick to some of the great outdoor proven strains.

BudsOut

Hey folks , I have been very busy and somewhat indisposed and thus have not had the chance to post an update. I ended up with quite a decent harvest in my opinion. It is by far the best I have done so far. I ended up with approximately 3 to 4 pounds. That would probably have been more like 6 to 9 pounds if I had had more experience harvesting , more help harvesting and more experience preventing mold . Out of all the plants , the temple of terpenes plants outperformed all others in all aspects : vigor of growth , hardiness , resilience to mold , and quality of yield. Surprisingly to me , not only did these plants out grow all the others , the weed was much more potent and better tasting . I gearing up for this years grow . I plan to have 2 harvests, one in spring, and one again at the usual time in autumn. I am planning on trying out a few plants leaning more towards the sativa side ( these are actually somewhat bastards of seeds , c99 is in there but the rest of the genetics are unknown and each seed is probably different) in the spring, as I expect they will do fine that time of year . I plan on growing only plants I think will do well outdoors for the second half of the season . I will likely be growing more from TOT and then possibly some oil spill/ royal kush crosses. I plan on keeping some type of a journal to keep track of this grow for my own sake . I might start a thread on here and share these notes if anyone is interested. Does anyone in this type of environment have any favorite genetics that they have tried and proven already here ? I'd love to hear your experiences... Hope everyone's doing good

kritios

Hey BudsOut, thanks for reporting back. Sounds like a good haul!

I have been growing outdoors for 2 years now. I was worried about mold too. I think picking the right strains is 1/2 the battle.

The other half is controlling caterpillars. A lot of bud mold gets it start from caterpillar crap. There are little brown moths that lay eggs in the developing flowers. The caterpillars eat their way out and crap all over the buds, starting mold.

I have had good results-and almost zero mold- by treating my plants with Bacillus Thurigensis kurstaki. It is sold as 'caterpillar killer". You have to spray once a week or so but its food-safe (non-toxic) and you can use it in flower. It kills the caterpillars before they can get to crapping.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes this year.