What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

get your tuna back

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
STARKIST you owe me biotches!!!!..cheating me in every can...register and get 25$ or 50$$$ in coupons for stuff from em...trout is getting the coupons ...ya I know but I like canned tuna ...yeehaw.. only in water and trout even drinks the tuna juice..you can do it all online...

thanks for the heads up, trout. Wondered why I was still hungry after eating cans of tuna. They've been pinching my sac! Wtf!

....now we just need a class action suit that lands us all 50 bucks worth of free canna seeds!!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
why not they cheated us...I eat more canned tuna then I should .. I even take some fishing ..I eat some and use some as chum as needed...dual purpose food...yeehaw... I eat tuna right out of can about half the time...tuna salad mix the rest ..I don't really like tuna casserole much ...

t99

Veteran
Thanks ST! This is how I make tuna fish sandwiches, substituting with whatever's in the fridge.

1 5-oz. can albacore tuna packed in olive oil (do not drain)
1/4 medium red onion, sliced very thinly
1 tablespoon capers, drained
about 10 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 small handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1 tsp balsamic vinegar Pantry
salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
sliced olives

Place the tuna and all of its oil in a mixing bowl.
Use a fork to gently flake the tuna.
Combine with all other ingredients, toss gently and serve immediately.

dddaver

Veteran
I don't wanna slander Starkist tuna, because I really don't know. This is more a question. But I thought I read somewhere that canned tuna had unusually high levels of mercury. Is that true?

A couple weeks ago I bought some tilapia fillets at a military commissary on a US government installation. I was totally unfamiliar with that fish so I googled it when I got home. It turns out those fish are farm raised in China where they can be fed GMOs, antibiotics, and are literally fed shit. The Chinese don't even feed those fish to there own people either. I was really shocked that they are allowed to sell that shit on US government installations, no less. I mean, I would expect that from Walmart, but not on a US government ruled store. Not run by the government, but they make the rules there.

Then I noticed they sell grapes from Peru and orange juice from Brazil, and I don't know what else from where. Then they turn around and say they support the American farmer? Absolute, total, horse-shit. And these countries they buy food from are allowed to use pesticides and fertilizers banned by our government? What bullshit.

That really doesn't surprise me about the FDA though. Those assholes still allow the food companies to put in non-food additives, chemicals, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, and whatever in our food. Even after study after study has shown that shit is bad for human consumption. It doesn't matter. Money matters. The bottom line matters

What I really don't understand about that, is these food companies are literally killing off their customer base. That's just basic stupid economics. They are in it for the quick buck, but in the long run lose out.

So who is to blame for these huge rates of obesity and diabetes? The FDA, and the US Government that is suppose to protect the people. That is one reason why we even we have a government at all, to protect us. It is exactly those who are supposed to watch out for that shit who are causing the problems in the first place.

Wow, rant, rant, rant :biggrin:. Whoa, dude, sumpin' set me off. Maybe I should just chill and eat a can of tuna. :biggrin: Anyway, is canned tuna farm raised?

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Yeah, I eat the stuff right out of the can too. Solid white Albacore in water.
Sometimes I mix a tablespoon of mayo with it, sometimes a spoonful of sunflower oil...

Mix it up and chow it down,, who needs bread?!?

Mercury levels? We all gotta die somehow...I'm a mad-hatter anyway..
otherwise, I eat mostly all good food....

Shoot, I had to go open a can halfway thru writing this comment...

Sisu

Veteran
Sardines for the win. Fishier than tuna, but r-selected species so relatively plentiful and easily replaced. Personally like fresh or home canned smelt when available.

Just about everything that swims east of the Mississippi is probably inundated with mercury given the fallout from coal fired power plants. Just check fish consumption advisories in those states.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Albacore has three times the mercury levels of chunk light tuna, but nowhere near the level of mercury in tuna steaks.

Shit is good but seriously have to limit consumption, sadly.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sardines for the win. Fishier than tuna, but r-selected species so relatively plentiful and easily replaced. Personally like fresh or home canned smelt when available.

Just about everything that swims east of the Mississippi is probably inundated with mercury given the fallout from coal fired power plants. Just check fish consumption advisories in those states.

Right on, sardines for the win is correct!!! like a health food store in a can.

I have a friend up here, a real mental midget who thinks that because he reads Scientific American magazine that he's intelligent.

He refuses to ever eat vegetables and has now lost every tooth that god put in his mouth, real smart.

When he saw me eating sardines from a can one day he wrinkled his nose and said "that's disgusting, it reminds me of when I was a kid and used to see old men eating sardine sandwiches." To which I replied, "you frigging dimwit, how do you think they got to be old men!"

be careful of where your choice of sardines might be processed, the 'Wild Planet' brand is canned in Viet Nam probably similar to the high standards of the Chinese farm raised tilapia mentioned by dddaver.

Last edited:

Dog Star

Veteran
Dont eat nothing from Pacific,too much radionuclides are swimming in those waters...

Read ENENEWS for fresh news on Fukushima and her effects on American Pacific shore..

Shit hitted a vent very hard..

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Nobody is saying you have to eat it...but put in a claim.It's not too often you get the opportunity to make a corporation pay.Claim the max and then when the check comes,make sure you cash it.They actually have figures on what percentage of claimants actually cash the check,and it is pretty low,so CASH the check.

Savor the moment that you hit them in the pocketbook.Tastes sweet doesn't it?

shithawk420

Veteran
HAHA!my uncle reads Scientific American,Stoner! Its a good magazine!but yeah if most people knew the real story about fish farms and general agriculture it would make your head spin.

DemonTrich

Veteran
DONE

thanks trout.

I eat a 5oz can every couple weeks. mmmmm yummy. been eating this stuff since I can remember.

Dog Star

Veteran
Good links, thanks. Looks like we're overfishing everything.

This are not overfishing,but actualy affected by Fukushima...

scientist are silent to not raise panick between people but they know what is happening.

You can found more on ENENEWS site if you are interested...