What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY pollination bag...

juuri

the windows probably is for the abiility to check on progress of pollination.

juuri: What ODH strain is it that you are selfing? splendid genetics those strains ODH has bred, Im using them too this year and following years for my breeding efforts.

It's unknown ODH mix, idk whos the mother or father... I grew 4-5 different ODH strains and i couldn't pull the males last year so i ended up with many many seeds and i'm growing them atm.. ;)
You can check my photo album to see all the pics..:p And BTW i'm growing on 59N

And BTW when making DIY pollination bags use stronger glue, my silicone gave up on me after a storm and the clear plastic didnt hold to the fleece anymore.. ;)
But it seemed like i failed using STS as well.. :D
But i have some early strains that i'm gonna try it again...
Soo stay tuned.. ;)

juuri

I'm sorry to say that i can't try those DIY bags this season anymore... Fu**ed up here and there, and didn't have enough time to go and spray STS.. But there's always next year. ;)
So i'm gonna give it a shot next season!

Stay safe!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So sorry to hear juuri.

I made some pollenation bags using parchment baking paper & clear packing tape.

No pics so I'll attempt to explain construction.

From a roll of parchment paper, tear off a length long enough to cover the branch(s) being pollenated plus a some extra to bunch up around the branch & fold one end over a couple times.

Fold sides of parchment paper in so that they have about a 1inch(2.5cm) gap between the edges. Should look kind of like ][.

Take a length of tape, as long or longer than the paper, & place it under the edges that you folded in, making a window the length of the paper.
One piece of tape does not stick well to the parchment paper but two will hold it together through some moderate winds & rain.
That said, get another piece of tape and tape the outside of the paper. This should form a tube, of sorts.

Now, take one end of the tube a fold it over a couple times to seal it, then tape it well. Use enough tape so that it overlaps on itself to ensure a solid seal.

There you have it... A home made pollenation bag...

I have successfully used these bags for pollenation of 6 plants this year.

To use I took some collected pollen and dumped it in one of the sealed corners then folded it over & taped it so it wouldn't just drop out.
I placed the bag over the branch being pollenated then tie the bag shut, tight, around the branch using a wire tie or some jute bailing twine.
I then lift the corner of the bag exposing the buds inside to the pollen & shake vigorously for a couple seconds. Leave the bag on for a day or two & shake daily.

When it comes time to remove the bag... Spray the entire plant down w water then remove the bag while spraying both the bud & the bag to prevent cross pollenation of other nearby plants.

Note:
From what I can tell the tape works due to a compression type of seal.
One piece of tape doesn't hold shit but two will keep the paper held fast.
Be aware of this year& all should work well.

romanoweed

Please keep us poted net Year. I am also a Outdoorgrower, very interested if this works.
I heard some People managed to do liquid Polination: miing Pollen with Water, so it doesent fly.
That way you could atleast :
1:cut branches before they relase pollen
2:put them into glass Water at home
3: collect Pollen and mi with Water
4:savely pollineate the individual Plants with the water-pollen-solution

Some People said it didnt work, some said it did and posted pics!
I think it would be crutial to only mix with water very short after Pollination, and imediatly pollinate.. since after some Time Water kills pollen..

romanoweed

nope, some say it doesent kill pollen . They showed me the fertile Plant as proove.. some others had no suxxess,

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Have heard that too. Maybe fresh non dried pollen would work? I can imagine that there is some kind of protection in fresh pollen to be potent when it rains short after release.
when it works it would be a very good method to make a small anount of seeds. I think single pistill pollination should be no prob.

juuri

Please keep us poted net Year. I am also a Outdoorgrower, very interested if this works.
I heard some People managed to do liquid Polination: miing Pollen with Water, so it doesent fly.
That way you could atleast :
1:cut branches before they relase pollen
2:put them into glass Water at home
3: collect Pollen and mi with Water
4:savely pollineate the individual Plants with the water-pollen-solution

Some People said it didnt work, some said it did and posted pics!
I think it would be crutial to only mix with water very short after Pollination, and imediatly pollinate.. since after some Time Water kills pollen..

I might give it a try this year...

Constructing one of these bags is like $1-$2 tops. It would be cool if you guys join me on this journey and try it for yourself... :)

Latest posts

Latest posts