What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guess my (pot-ential) yield! :D

Jonnysact

Hey all,

I am pleased to announce that my very first grow is turning out so much better than I had anticipated. All of the readings and information on these boards has been vital to my success so far.

I am growing in a custom design box that is based off of my first box, which was an actual PC. But during the grow it became clear that I would be so much better off with something that was taller than 18" so that I could have more than 8" worth of grow space. So I designed a box that was 24" tall allowing for slightly more than a foot worth of grow space.

Here is my wonderful looking lady. She is BC Big bud. I started her flowering on February 10th, so today is day 11. All of the CFL's are 26watts, mix of 2700k and 6500k. Feeding her now with Flora Nova bloom 4-8-7. Temperatures avg at 78-80* and humidity is between 20-30%.

So let's have a little fun here. Firstly, wondering who can guess the closest yield, and secondly, it's fun to project what I might be getting! :D All in the name of fun.

*** I will still be lollipopping the plant to some degree. There are a couple of very thin stems down below that are trying to reach that will soon be removed.

K1yu99Y.jpg

D5f9ZRK.jpg

Dmq2zjH.jpg

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Maybe an ounce is my guess (I'm no fun, I know). Set up looks good, but I would put that plant in a bigger container if it was mine.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
It's still real early to tell. Lots of things could effect your final pull. With what I can see, if progress continues with all variables staying constant. I would guess between a 1/2-1 oz. of decent buds.

Maybe set a gallon jug with the top cut off full of water on the floor next to the plant. Help raise the humidity some. With temps in that range the extra humidity will really help the plant grow better. That's what I would do anyway. You ever consider getting the larger cfl's for better penetration and higher watts per sq. ft.?

atk7

38 grams of dried trimmed and cured bud is my guess. I agree with jelly fish on a bigger pot for more root room . Doesn't need to be a taller pot but one wider to utilize the floor space in your cabinet . Lots of advantages to maximized root room

Jonnysact

When you say bigger container, do you mean bigger pot or bigger box? Ideally I'd love to have a tent but this was the largest box I could fit in my small apartment with stealth still being a factor.

If you mean bigger pot, then yes, I have some coffee containers I will be using for my next grow. Although I am considering doing a SOG next time so that that turnaround is quicker.

I mostly vape now, and the goal of all of this was to be able to produce enough weed to stop me from having to purchase. When i used to smoke, an ounce would last me a month or two max, and now that I vape 99% of the time, my ounce normally last me 5-6 months, and sometimes longer depending on business.

My plan is to use my PC grow box to start vegging and then transfer them to my flowering box ( larger one with more light ). So this will just double my turnaround time from seed to harvest. :)

Will definitely put some water in there to help with humidity. I have read keeping it under 40% is ideal for flowering so maybe somewhere around the 30-35 mark might be good?

I would have loved one of those larger CFL lights, but cost was an issue as they were around 80 - 100 dollars which I could not afford. These low cost micro grows were the inspiration and the catalyst that gave me the option to finally grow. So all things being considered, this box was what I was and am financially able to do with my current circumstances. I know in the future things will change, especially when laws do too :)

atk7

Yes just a little bigger pot .your cabinet is fine. find a container the same height and depth as what u have it in now but wider like the shape and dimension of your tray or slightly smaller so it doesn't need replaced and as tall as the pot you now have. it will make a huge difference in yield . If they are available in your area look at the glad food storage containers they are inexpensive like two or three bucks for three containers and lids at wally world. Just drill holes in the bottom for drainage and u will be set. I enjoy a good micro grow yours is lookin great!

atk7

I'm converted to vape and my consumption volume has dropped considerably also ,and am high just as often! (And I don't hack up tar in the mornings anymore LOL) Some due to the vape. some I counted to better quality smoke that I now grow myself in my cab. Sized it to fit my smoking needs and now that I vape it keeps me and a couple friends fully supplied.

chefbudz

i am thinking around 36-37 grams i think that box is begging for a screen to spread the canopy out and ensure maximum light.

a solo cup filled with perlite or vermiculite and water will help your rh

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
i am thinking around 36-37 grams i think that box is begging for a screen to spread the canopy out and ensure maximum light.

chefbuds makes a good point here. While you got your girl out of the box for re-potting, put up a screen an inch or two shorter than your girl. When you put her back in the box, spread those bud sites out into different holes in your screen. Spreading them out allows maximum light penetration (as chef buds said). [OR, make your screen shorter than the plant, and let the branches grow into it. But I think you're a little past the time to do it this time.]

Either way, tie the branches down loosely to the screen, because they WILL stretch. I have used paper clips and rubber bands. Use care not to break the branches.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
When you say bigger container, do you mean bigger pot or bigger box? Ideally I'd love to have a tent but this was the largest box I could fit in my small apartment with stealth still being a factor.

If you mean bigger pot, then yes, I have some coffee containers I will be using for my next grow. Although I am considering doing a SOG next time so that that turnaround is quicker.

I mostly vape now, and the goal of all of this was to be able to produce enough weed to stop me from having to purchase. When i used to smoke, an ounce would last me a month or two max, and now that I vape 99% of the time, my ounce normally last me 5-6 months, and sometimes longer depending on business.

My plan is to use my PC grow box to start vegging and then transfer them to my flowering box ( larger one with more light ). So this will just double my turnaround time from seed to harvest. :)

Will definitely put some water in there to help with humidity. I have read keeping it under 40% is ideal for flowering so maybe somewhere around the 30-35 mark might be good?

I would have loved one of those larger CFL lights, but cost was an issue as they were around 80 - 100 dollars which I could not afford. These low cost micro grows were the inspiration and the catalyst that gave me the option to finally grow. So all things being considered, this box was what I was and am financially able to do with my current circumstances. I know in the future things will change, especially when laws do too :)

I used to buy the bulbs one at a time. The big 60 watters can be purchased at home depot/lowes for less than $20 per bulb. With that comes more heat and the need for increased air movement(more $ spent) . I understand your dilemma if funds are not available.

The humidity rise I speak of comes from a vapor pressure deficit chart. As long as there is plenty of airflow an environment with 60-65% humidity with the temps you have will increase growth. In late flower lowering the humidity will reduce the risk of budrot,if airflow isn't optimal. If you have proper airflow the higher humidity won't be a problem.

Jonnysact

Maybe an ounce is my guess (I'm no fun, I know). Set up looks good, but I would put that plant in a bigger container if it was mine.

It's still real early to tell. Lots of things could effect your final pull. With what I can see, if progress continues with all variables staying constant. I would guess between a 1/2-1 oz. of decent buds.

Maybe set a gallon jug with the top cut off full of water on the floor next to the plant. Help raise the humidity some. With temps in that range the extra humidity will really help the plant grow better. That's what I would do anyway. You ever consider getting the larger cfl's for better penetration and higher watts per sq. ft.?

38 grams of dried trimmed and cured bud is my guess. I agree with jelly fish on a bigger pot for more root room . Doesn't need to be a taller pot but one wider to utilize the floor space in your cabinet . Lots of advantages to maximized root room

I used to buy the bulbs one at a time. The big 60 watters can be purchased at home depot/lowes for less than $20 per bulb. With that comes more heat and the need for increased air movement(more $ spent) . I understand your dilemma if funds are not available.

The humidity rise I speak of comes from a vapor pressure deficit chart. As long as there is plenty of airflow an environment with 60-65% humidity with the temps you have will increase growth. In late flower lowering the humidity will reduce the risk of budrot,if airflow isn't optimal. If you have proper airflow the higher humidity won't be a problem.

You guys are awesome. Currently my temps are a little on the high end. The top of the canopy (with door cracked open) is around 83-84 and the bottom is around 78-79. Would love those numbers to be a bit lower but that might happen more once summer comes around and we have our room AC hooked up :). I'll definitely try getting that humidity higher.

As for the Scrog idea, I built the case with magnets that run up and down the sides, however I need to remove the plant from the box to water/drain and measure runoff so I'm trying to figure out a way to use my screen (3 x 10 holes - 2" square holes) and have it sit on my pot so that it's removable with the plant. I'm thinking next watering i'll just sit it on top of the plant and start weaving things through while lowering the screen into the plant by an inch or two. Hopefully it can hold itself up and just allow me to open things up slightly to let more light pass through.

Jonnysact

So I've got ahead and thrown the screen on the plant. It's quite literally resting on it via all the branches, but weighs next to nothing. After i popped it on, I noticed how much shade some of the fan leaves were casting on the lower bud sites so i removed about 10-12 leaves. Hopefully that doesn't hurt it too much at this stage. But it will definitely allow for light to reach lower down.

The hardest part was doing thi without yanking off the bud sites! ( i ruined one unfortunateyl, but it was a popcorn one)

qIkdTDX.jpg

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Real nice grow, I like that you keep the old box to veg, I built
a bigger ngb style box instead.

As the plant crowns you'll pinch more of the lower growth,
but just a few leaves every couple days.

With your habits on low side the road you're on is proper.

My best guess is 18-20 grams properly dried, cured product.

Great thread!

Last edited:

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Looking real good. Let this plant be an example and guide for your next plant you flower. Since now you have your "screen" (trellis, scrog net, whatever you wanna call it, lol) you can see how it works in relation to the plant.

With cfl's like your using, the tops of the plants and anything within 6 inches of the bulbs will turn into nice buds worth smoking. Anything under the screen can be taken off the plant, and the tops will get larger and produce better quality. Since your cataloging this grow, you will be able to know what to take off on the next plant. Then there is multiple ways to go about removing that growth. It can be done before flowering, or after the plant has finished the "stretching" phase. Lots of good info on this site reguarding that.

I used to grow in a homemade cab. I'm gonna go try and dig up some pics, just so you can see what's possible.