What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collecting, Storing, and Mailing Pollen

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Here's how I'm keeping mine - divided into smaller quantities for convenience. I'm adding silica gel to each vial and then will bag them and add more gel to the bag before freezing...

I also have some frozen in small paper sachets, and that seemed to work fine too...my freezer is at -25C.

G

hey all, just a bit of info on how long pollen will stay viable once frozen. i used some jacksCleaner BX1 pollen that is now 2 yrs and a month old. had to look back at the thread. but it was collected back in june 05.

its the oldest pollen in the freezer, still have one pack left even. the paper i wrapped it in, i also taped. dont do that, as plastic of any kind attracts moisture when defrostin.

the lines in the paper were blurred and the paper damp, pollen still worked.

CBF

SBP

...jus stupid people who ask those kinda questions

...jus stupid people who ask those kinda questions

can pollen be smelled/ detected when being shipped???

D

doc bob

silica gel

silica gel

ive been looking for some silica gel to ... to put in my pollen viles... but i have not had any look...

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
You can get the gel from office supply stores - staples, office max, etc.

Dr Watt

Who What
Storing just in paper - interesting. Must be still dry in freezer.
Elevator Man said:
I also have some frozen in small paper sachets, and that seemed to work fine too...my freezer is at -25C
Cedarberry said:
... pollen that is now 2 yrs.. old. ......the paper i wrapped it in..... the lines in the paper were blurred and the paper damp, pollen still worked.CBF

VirginHarvester

Veteran
I have a question, lets say you have a few plants growing indoors and when they are sexed one is male. You want to harvest this pollen and selectively distribute it over the girls but not the entire plants- just want to produce a handful of seeds. If you didn't care about pollinating both girls completely it would be no problem, just let the sacs open and pollinate. But that's not what I would want to do, I would want to pollinate a branch or so of each girl so I can come out with however many that would produce- 20, 30, 50?

At any rate, what is a technique for doing this.... would you have to create a separate leak proof chamber in doors and watch it closely and when the pollen sacs start to open do you collect the pollen itself or perhaps at that point the pollen sacks? And how much of the pollen would you need to put on the branches you want to pollinate?

If there's a "how to" article and you can link me I would appreciate.

Thanks.

whitebox

i recently receive pollen of Seedsman Ata Tundra from a friend in the US.

he sent me the pollen around 10 days after collecting , in a small plastic pouch, in a letter, took 8 dayz to arrive and i stored it in an old camera film-box that is air-tight, in the fridge 20 dayz before to use it on one of my diesel clone wich is pregnant now...

hope it helps...

.WB.

L

loc

So WB,I guess the pollen was still good? Thanks to this thread,The next batch will be cared for better,and frozen.

whitebox

So WB,I guess the pollen was still good? Thanks to this thread,The next batch will be cared for better,and frozen.

yesssssss bro' it worked ,

i can see a dozen of seeds on the diesel clone i polinate...

thanx once more Loc, i'm gonna get the best of these seeds , you can be sure.

.WB.

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice thread ive just used pollen that i stored in a plastic baggie in an airtight container in my fridge done it before this way and worked fine ill let u know how it went in 6 weeks....

i need some pollen for a female i want to preserve in seed but have no males currently. im a socal med user anyone who has pollen from a good strain pm me.:1help:

Latest posts

Latest posts