What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moved back to Colorado - Interested in Growing Job

Jim Rockford

Veteran
Hello, my wife recently got a great job in Colorado and we are moving back to where we used to live. I'd love to put my experience to work for a great team orientated business!

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Why not start your own grow? Is there money to be made growing for other people?

Sounds like you are excited to get back to CO! Hope it all works out like you want it to. Good luck!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:yeahthats

That's what I would do if I were willing to throw my name on the legal watch list...

Or not...

Look into the rules n regs for getting a cultivators license.

M

meowmeowmeow

1.2 million was what I was told a coupe had in already for a dispensary sponsor commercial grow.
The licensing is the biggest chunk for most I stink.

After Jan 1.... I stink the 2 year wait on commercial license is dropped, so there's should be a shitload of outside monies flowing in....but don't quote me on this.
I looked into this last week myself.

As for jobs in the industry.....I'm finding out VERY QUICKLY the more you know the worse that is.
3 years as a hobby and it's nothing but a dick show. Bogus. They want sheep.

Good Luck. :biggrin:

Jim Rockford

Veteran
I'm almost back, my wife finishes up her job in a week or so and we're going to move. I'll find something from looking at things and yes I want to do my own thing. A cultivator license is right up my alley. It's a odd job to hand in a resume for too! Like x years cultivation and caregiving experience in another state.... Thanks for the replies everyone!

monarch

Im finding out that they want sheep as well. I obtained a med support badge and applied to basic cultivator positions. Im college educated and have been growing as a hobby for ten years. I have a lot of applicable skills from my education as well as my prior work background. I should be crushing it right now but Im not getting any replies.

I would love to just go into business myself but I'm a bit cautious of the market saturation here. I feel it would be better moving to a fresh new state/market before making large investments.

Anyone else have any opportunities available? I have a graduate degree and I kick ass at anything I do and Im looking for commercial experience.

rockymtnmelt

Im finding out that they want sheep as well. I obtained a med support badge and applied to basic cultivator positions. Im college educated and have been growing as a hobby for ten years. I have a lot of applicable skills from my education as well as my prior work background. I should be crushing it right now but Im not getting any replies.

I would love to just go into business myself but I'm a bit cautious of the market saturation here. I feel it would be better moving to a fresh new state/market before making large investments.

Anyone else have any opportunities available? I have a graduate degree and I kick ass at anything I do and Im looking for commercial experience.

I find most grow owners look to hire greenhorns rather than experienced growers. They most likely already have established grow techniques, and get tired of "experienced" growers telling them what to change in their garden.

monarch

I find most grow owners look to hire greenhorns rather than experienced growers. They most likely already have established grow techniques, and get tired of "experienced" growers telling them what to change in their garden.

I understand what your're saying. Im not experienced in commercial grows by any means. Not to sound conceded, but I'm surprised that they would opt for someone with less marketable competence when faced with two blank slates.

Perhaps I need to present myself as less educated to remove any preconceptions or biases?

I've considered making a redacted resume and trojan-horseing my way in. I'm sure they would be happy with the results. I'm a lot of value for an entry position.

Qqqqqqqqqqqqq

I understand what your're saying. Im not experienced in commercial grows by any means. Not to sound conceded, but I'm surprised that they would opt for someone with less marketable competence when faced with two blank slates.

Perhaps I need to present myself as less educated to remove any preconceptions or biases?

I've considered making a redacted resume and trojan-horseing my way in. I'm sure they would be happy with the results. I'm a lot of value for an entry position.

You're not looking at in the right way. I've gotten plenty of responses from interested parties in Colorado. My first job out of college was as a grower. The company was pathetic and incompetent so I went back to science for a few years to acquire more skills so I could acquire a position with high career growth. First of all, no one cares about what you grew in your bedroom so throw that out of the window and look at your real resume.

May I ask what your college program was, what you did in college to acquire applicable skills, and what you have done after college?

People jumped on me because I had real lab and greenhouse research experience from a major institution. Now that I'm interested in Cannabis again and the industry has become more mature I have higher expectations. Heck. About a year ago I found some listings for positions down near Pueblo. Sent a cover letter and resume and got calls the next day. Are you entirely sure you're coming off as professional and have you been able to take your resume outside of cannabis to acquire a position? The answer to the latter says a lot.

monarch

You're not looking at in the right way. I've gotten plenty of responses from interested parties in Colorado. My first job out of college was as a grower. The company was pathetic and incompetent so I went back to science for a few years to acquire more skills so I could acquire a position with high career growth. First of all, no one cares about what you grew in your bedroom so throw that out of the window and look at your real resume.

May I ask what your college program was, what you did in college to acquire applicable skills, and what you have done after college?

People jumped on me because I had real lab and greenhouse research experience from a major institution. Now that I'm interested in Cannabis again and the industry has become more mature I have higher expectations. Heck. About a year ago I found some listings for positions down near Pueblo. Sent a cover letter and resume and got calls the next day. Are you entirely sure you're coming off as professional and have you been able to take your resume outside of cannabis to acquire a position? The answer to the latter says a lot.

Program of study was Consumer Product design.

Skills from that:
Design Research ~ Primary and secondary. Analyzing markets, trends,areas of opportunities, consumer demographics and understanding the end users in depth in order to design solutions.

Prototyping/Fabrication: Everything form 3-D printing, carpentry, foundry, to user interface design. I can create apps/websites, medical devices, or design and build greenhouses (which I have also done).

User Experience: Service design solutions. Think Chic-fil-A. They design everything form the layout of the interior of the store, the exterior for drive through efficiency, to the words and protocols employees use to greet customers and maintain satisfaction with their product. Thats all designed down to the most micro interaction with a pleasant end user experience in mind.

Branding: Creating logos, mission statements, and brand identity.

After school I started my own construction company designing interior spaces and fabricating them to completion. Thats not what I want to do but the opportunity came up while I was applying to other jobs. Have been doing that my whole life as that was the family business. Its nice being my own boss but I want to persue my passion in this industry.
Skills: electrical, bit of HVAC, plumbing/irrigation, framing, etc. etc.

I've been a hobby grower most of my life. I realize no one gives a shit about whats in my closet but my knowledge of disease and pest control, deficiency spotting, etc has got to count for something.

I have been able to acquire positions with my resume and portfolio outside cannabis quite easily (fortune 500), however I wish to work in this growing industry.

Ill start to tailor my cover letter/resume more to what specific positions im applying to. I already have been doing that, I'll try harder.

I did see some Pueblo positions I liked but that is would be a last option for me personally. I have a lot tied to the Denver area.

Thanks for the input.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pueblo has become saturated with a lot of "wanna be's". Big bucks, high up connections help. Lived there 5 years before/after rec. Waiting time for licensure/application problematic, too.

Most Pueblo jobs are trimming, etc....slightly higher than minimum wage. $9-10 hr.
Good luck!

HarvestMoon303

Pueblo has become saturated with a lot of "wanna be's". Big bucks, high up connections help. Lived there 5 years before/after rec. Waiting time for licensure/application problematic, too.

Most Pueblo jobs are trimming, etc....slightly higher than minimum wage. $9-10 hr.
Good luck!
If you're in CO, ask your friends who grow about trimming opportunities that are not for a commercial op. They usually pay $20/hr, cash. Sometimes $25/hr.

monarch

I would trim for 20/25 an HR easily. I don't know any grow friends. Any networking groups or meet ups around?

M

meowmeowmeow

Monarch hit me up on IG if you want to network.

I work in a commercial grow, but can share my experience with you on the job hunting thing too.

Cannabologist

Veteran
WOW Qqqqqqqqqqqqq and Monarch, I see so much of myself in the both of your posts, it is very interesting!

I would love to see your resume Qqqqqqqq, the layout, format, and what not. lol probably not something for here though.. I do not often like to presume what puts me ahead of others when my resume is reviewed, I am sure actual laboratory and greenhouse experience in college and out is a big boost. Professionalism I have found is also prized, and employers don't seem to care too much about growers who haven't worked for someone who has a real storefront.

Monarch, greenhouse and construction will be prized skills. Also if you can get licensed in various forms, such as a licensed contractor, or also, many (all? at least in my state) head growers are licensed pesticide applicators, it is generally 2 certifications and growers for cannabis usually fall under a "Greenhouse" category for applicators... Its a pretty easy test no matter where you are esp if you took some bio courses, the only other part is knowing the laws, there are courses but you can pass just reading applicable manuals and laws that are all free to obtain online..

I have the same thoughts and passions.. I like being my own boss, but, I desire to hunt with the big dogs in the tall grass! And there is only one way to do that and you have the foresight to see where things are heading!

We all have the right idea, and don't let anyone tell us otherwise, keep that passion going! Shit I'm ready to head out if it doesn't happen here, it's slow and highly competitive where I live.. In CO you have 50 stores in a city, we have less than 10 open across the state. They are also hiring talent from afar where it's been happening already.. It's pretty.. Heh. lotsa interesting and fucky things here where I am, as there are anywhere.

That hobby knowledge counts for nothing I would say. Some times it can almost hurt you in my experience. If it's been for a legit company then it is to your benefit, or if you have actual schooling and experience there, and or certifications that can back up that you know what you are talking about, like pesticide application, horticulture certs, degree, etc., then, again, they don't care about what you've done no matter how many batcaves or lighthouses or spaceships you've built out and what kinds of lbs you've pushed.

Perhaps unless you are from an already legal state, but then in that case they can get a guy who was setting up warehouses or growing them out for legal companies wherever they were, unless they are simply so good anyway...

But, I've never had a job ask for examples, samples, pictures, etc., not any of that..

I've been told places get 500++ resumes a month and every one says they are the best grower, etc. and they could give a shit.

They are looking to train, they don't want anyone upsetting the boat oftentimes - they have their structure and grow plan in place, they just need people who will keep the machine running and well oiled, not build or design a new machine, or muddle with the parts already in place.

Professionalism is definitely a point places like. Shirt, tie, pants, etc.
The adage of knowing someone is likely true, but conventional wisdom is also often wrong.. I suppose it could be either "I know someone who is my friend who is awesome and killing it" ie word of mouth, or they hire someone who was established at a real company, not people pretending to be a company doing house and backyard grows either, even big grows - they seem like they would rather take someone from a legit company that was small than doing something illegal, small or big scale. Even and especially growers, who are not cannabis growers, but greenhouse growers growing other crops.

I will agree I have never found it difficult to land positions given my skills and qualifications and work history, but for the cannabis industry even for low level, and entry level it is not easy all things considered. It's almost in some ways a crap shoot more than any industry as to what a potential employer wants and is looking for, likely because potential bosses are not your typical people you run up against from any typical industry, like business, medical, IT, etc., they are from all over, every one of those industries and more, and so, there is no way one can know what to expect, and what a potential employer is REALLY looking for - we have an expectation of what someone wants given a particular field, but again, this is a burgeoning industry with people from all over chasing Puff the Magic Dragon.

M

meowmeowmeow

To add people.....be ready to be told you are "overqualified" .

I have no degree and had only grown for 3 yrs as a hobby.

Good Luck :tiphat:

truck

if you want in the grow industry be prepared to be basically a janitor and laborer. Any established grow doesn't want your opinion when they first hire you. Give a long time before you have an opinion. Otherwise people just need help and support doing things how they already do it. In the industry you are no longer a grower, just a cog in the wheel, no way to maintain 1000's of plants on your own. If anything managerial skills are needed as well. Expereince only helps if it helps you not have to be baby sat and can follow the system and understand everyone knows there are a million different ways to do it. As some one entering, you have no clue why or how the company is growing the way they are, get to know the companies story and join the team first, start as a trimmer and stick it out tell they need help other places in the shop. Team players are important, having a bunch of individuals only creates choas and thats not good for getting consistent results that a company can bank on day in and day out year after year, with little to no failure or set backs. IF things do get messed up you need a team to figure it out and solve the problem not point fingers. So if you can let people know you are willing to work hard and do what they say, and that you are good at problem solving and are a self motivated worker, you may have a chance. Just remember to keep your opinions to yourself unless you are asked about growing. You may actually learn a thing or two from people who have learned to succeed in the industry versus thinking you are the golden child of growing. The wages are low and the work is hard so good luck to everyone trying to get in at the bottom these days. I just got lucky and was at the right place at the right time. Now i'm living the dream. Started at the bottom.... Now i'm here. I was willing to start as a trimmer and wash buckets. Then the head grower baled and i knew the owner and the owner was willing to invest in my learning to grow at a commercial level. Still learning today. Its been fun. Good luck to everyone trying to make it.

Latest posts

Latest posts