What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Details of recreational pot laws and what it means for all?

Space Toker

Veteran
I wonder what most of the country was thinking in so many ways. Almost makes me want to move to somewhere "more intelligent"
or "less bone-headed". :D I specifically wonder what the outcome of the presidential race will mean for federal prohibition and enforcement efforts: that among so many other things are so troubling!
One thing people got right in most states was marijuana reform, one ray of hope at least!
I can look up what the laws that passed mean; I do know the details pertaining to personal use and cultivation. But there are no details at all for those who want to grow recreational cannabis commercially? Which state has the best and worst options for that plant number wise? Which would be the most profitable (have the best prices for the producer) and would prices decrease and availabiilty increase substantially nationwide or in the rec states? I assume those details are lacking in most states, will check, but it would be nice if we could all post the details in one place for all to see. thanks

Space Toker

Veteran
Yeah I think 6 personal plants is the most common number in the rec legal states.
Here in Mass the bill mentions commercial production and hemp production, but as best as I can see, doesn't mention any specifics. I think all this should be spelled out before hand so people know what they are voting for and potential producers know what they are in for as well. I voted for it of course, because ambiguous legalization is still some form of legalization even if it's less than what I want (total legalization like tomatoes). But really, why can't they say this many farms of this size will be allowed and here are the procedures to qualify?

Space Toker

Veteran
OK other threads on similar subjects are 3-5 pages long and yet only one has answered me, 291views and only 1 response is practically a war crime as a crime against humanity, just saying... if there is a bias against me just say so and why, otherwise just start talking me to death like my bro often does! Either way say something already, wtf?! thanks I guess! :D ;)
As to a Gypsy thread: seemed to suggest this is the end of small to mid time cannabis "underground" producer... why? I know many have tried to grow and gave up, out of sheer ignorance.. Some get it really well, more are utter failures for stupid reasons, I am somewhere in between: never seeming to get the results I expect conservatively but not doing that bad. Regardless, I think the bad growers including the majority of big commercial growers growing for the govt will fail and those that know nothing of growing anything but seeking greed will fail, and that leaves many of us in between. I think those trying to grow quantity over all may succeed in the short run, and those that have top quality may be the long term future for small to mid level producers, selling to fussy snobby connuisseirs (how do you spell that?! :D ) may be the future of non Mc Pot cannabis. But what is the state of commercial production in rec legal states? It is a legitimate question and goddammit, it deserves an answer! Thanks you... $%@!*, I mean my best friends! ;)

iBogart

Veteran
I wonder what most of the country was thinking in so many ways. Almost makes me want to move to somewhere "more intelligent"
or "less bone-headed". :D I specifically wonder what the outcome of the presidential race will mean for federal prohibition and enforcement efforts: that among so many other things are so troubling!
One thing people got right in most states was marijuana reform, one ray of hope at least!
I can look up what the laws that passed mean; I do know the details pertaining to personal use and cultivation. But there are no details at all for those who want to grow recreational cannabis commercially? Which state has the best and worst options for that plant number wise? Which would be the most profitable (have the best prices for the producer) and would prices decrease and availabiilty increase substantially nationwide or in the rec states? I assume those details are lacking in most states, will check, but it would be nice if we could all post the details in one place for all to see. thanks

Nobody knows all those question for sure. Folks have their opinions of course. Prices are sure to fluctuate and are subject to the economic laws of supply and demand like everything else. Time will tell. So you know, relax man. Everything is gonna work out alright.

rolandomota

Veteran
Look up the text of the laws that passed...California you need no felonies of you have one you might be able to get it to a misdemeanor so you can do commercial I guess it's more interesting if you have a chance of getting a business. Its easy to find all this information though I have some homework to do just to see what's going on myself...wtfn ...why the fuck not

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if i could grow 6 plants legally, it would get me through a calendar year no sweat. 20 years ago, nope. i would have to grow 6, harvest, grow 6 more etc, LOL! these days, i really could give a rats ass about Tennessee legalizing; until they quit random drug tests no one will be safe unless you are self employed (or unemployed) . i would trade legalization for the end of testing for jobs. you gotta be really unlucky or stupid to get busted carrying weed.

bum

Mid-level clandestine producers are unable to keep up with a legal commercial industry. A cooperative of medical or blackmarket growers is unlikely to have the political, legal, and financial prowess to make it in a truly competitive market. Not to mention access to real estate and insurance, security considerations, technology, and labor.

Read through an application for a license in Washington or Colorado first. These two markets made licenses relatively accessible to the general public and with significant restrictions on outside investments.

As you have noticed, information does not flow so freely at ICmag anymore. The answers to your licensing questions are highly sought-after despite the countless uncertainties that still remain.

Alaska and Maine may be of interest to an entrepreneur getting a late start in the industry. . .

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Mid-level clandestine producers are unable to keep up with a legal commercial industry. A cooperative of medical or blackmarket growers is unlikely to have the political, legal, and financial prowess to make it in a truly competitive market. Not to mention access to real estate and insurance, security considerations, technology, and labor.

Read through an application for a license in Washington or Colorado first. These two markets made licenses relatively accessible to the general public and with significant restrictions on outside investments.

As you have noticed, information does not flow so freely at ICmag anymore. The answers to your licensing questions are highly sought-after despite the countless uncertainties that still remain.

Alaska and Maine may be of interest to an entrepreneur getting a late start in the industry. . .

CO and WA made it easy for anyone with enough money to get in the recreational game.

that will never be repeated. never. every law passed since has crazy hoops.
Cali law you need residency and tax returns from 2015.
NY only licensed 5 companies for the entire states mmj

these new states will all require big money plus political connections because everybody is ready to invest.

the commercial growers of today are dinosaurs about to disappear.

many of the rec states have given first dibs to pre existing mmj dispensaries.
pick a state with an mmj program, voter initiative ballot access and go open a dispensary and wait for your state to flip in 4 years.
if you got what it takes you'll be all set.
AZ, MI, FL, RI, CT, NJ, IL, MN, MT, HI plenty of states that will flip in 4 years go open a store.

blowingupjake

the commercial growers of today are dinosaurs about to disappear.

many of the rec states have given first dibs to pre existing mmj dispensaries.
pick a state with an mmj program, voter initiative ballot access and go open a dispensary and wait for your state to flip in 4 years.
if you got what it takes you'll be all set.
AZ, MI, FL, RI, CT, NJ, IL, MN, MT, HI plenty of states that will flip in 4 years go open a store.

Preach brother, preach.

As a long time consumer and proficient grower this is what is most frustrating. All of this may backfire for the average consumer. Rec weed in CO is a terrible excuse for quality cannabis.

These folks who are getting in on it are not stoners and old hippies, for the most part. Instead, they are greedy business men only seeing the HUGE profit potential.

I, for one, would like to see some kind of certification process for the folks who will be running commercial operations in the future. Electricians need licenses, mechanics need certifications, why don't growers? This certification process would also set the bar for owners/investors to curb their business expectations. So, quality would improve, pricing would be fair and stable and their profits would still be big and useful in the tax pool.

Hazed ramblings... HOMEGROWN FOREVER:)
Jake

Space Toker

Veteran
oh holy shit finally some responses and really great ones at that, only I am not in any shape to do what I should and go into great detail commenting on every detail.... :D
All I can say I don't know what I think about all this, it does seem to favor entrenced companies medical or otherwise, in other words the rich screwing everyone else yet again instead of letting everyone especially the common folk getting a chance. I heard of a dispensary in Newton operated by a doctor who was a former skeptic... ok great she saw the light but is already rich and will get richer, what about the rest of us that deserve to enjoy a little after a long dark tunnel of prohibition we should see some light already right? Us long time supporters should be the the ones benefiting, not the long-time skeptics who got rich and oppressed and suddenly "see the light"... I do think and hope we have a chance here if we are willing to not give up and keep fighting for it... the commercial implications are still vague if mentioned at all from what I can tell, and we should seize the moment... hey med in Cali in 96 started it all, now this. and before long all out legal like potatoes and tomatoes should be reality by 2020 or shortly thereafter, or we can let it get co opted and soiled and taken over by the greedy when it was meant to be freely shared by all forever. I may be contradicting myself, but we all deserve a chance and a living but not a killing! I still hope to gain more insight into the commercial implications of various state laws. I am too busy transplanting day after day to spend days and days to try and figure out nothing.... I hope you can all share what you know, yeah 6 plants seems standard but if you know what is not commonly known and not easy to figure out, you should share it, just saying. ;)

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
You got me to finally open the pdf for Maine's rec. Frankly, I hadn't looked much further than what it means for me as a personal grower.

The 1st few pages are definitions for words/phrases in the document.
EX. Cannabis means Marijuana.
And... Marijuana means Cannabis.
They say it twice... just to be sure.

I haven't yet got to the part about growing for retail. But, we will be allowed to set up "social clubs". Basically, pot bars, coffee shops where weed can be bought.

I do know of 1 big op being set up by a local rich guy in a big building that was used in home manufacturing. Ive heard that a couple of big greenhouses have been put up elsewhere.

Ill post what I find, when I find it.

As far as the home grower goes...
6 flowering plants
12 immature plants - immature is defined as a plant taller than 24" and wider than 18".
Unlimited seedlings - seedlings is defined as a plant shorter than 24" and narrower than 18".

Im fuzzy on amounts allowed. I think its 2.5 oz, but Ive also heard that you can keep what you harvest. Maybe its 2.5 oz on your person? :dunno:

Space Toker

Veteran
wildgrow, thanks man you are keeping me hopeful please don't dissappoint me ! :D I don't think I would want anything other than what I am doing, but not going great of late so wondering out loud or "theoretically" exploring my options... although at the rec legal states make vague provisions for commercial sale they never mention more details... more details dammit!

Space Toker

Veteran
I was just watching some show about the river styx, it is getting narrower, somehow in a foreboading way that seemed somehow relevant! forgive me if I got my own threads or someone elses confused! :D