What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California approves Medical Micro Farms

As the rush to legalize recreational marijuana picks up steam across the Golden State,*California's micro marijuana farmersreceived some much-needed support from Gov. Brown yesterday.

Governor Signs Cottage Cannabis 'Micro Farmer' Bill:
Sacramento – Today, Assemblymember Jim Wood’s “Cottage Cannabis Farmers Bill,” AB 2516, achieved a significant milestone when the Governor signed it. This bill creates a new medical cannabis cultivator license category for “micro farmers.”

Wood said, “We are so proud to have fought for this legislation and thankful to Governor Brown for his signature. This law will help ensure that small medical cannabis growers on the North Coast can comply with regulations as this industry moves forward, providing certainty and predictability. It’s just not fair to require the small farmers to adhere to the same standards as larger operations. Now the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) will be required to develop regulations for 2018 that address the unique characteristics of small farm practices.”

The technical requirements for the new license type 1C, or specialty cottage cultivator license, are for farms with 2,500 square feet or less of total canopy size for mixed-light cultivation, up to 25 mature plants for outdoor cultivation, or 500 square feet or less of total canopy size for indoor cultivation, on one premises. CDFA will issue the licenses to qualified candidates as well as develop the requirements for each license type.

“Last year the Legislature developed the Medical Marijuana Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act in an attempt to address the environmental, public safety and public health issues in the industry,” said Wood. “As this industry moves forward, we need to make sure that all farmers, regardless of size, can come into compliance – that’s what success looks like.”

http://www.marijuana.com/community/...farmers-bill-supporting-micro-farmers.310694/

AB2516:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB2516

stinky

Sign up..... write your name.... what you got.... what you growing.... where's it going.... you have clean underwear on?

fuck that. :moon:

This is interesting. Will you be allowed to sell directly to the public like a micro brewery or is this just a fancy license that allows you to continue to sell to dispensaries come 2018?

Are there any medicinal micro breweries that are allowed sell alcohol to the public?

Medical booze that's a new one!

God bless Cali

How much do you figure it would cost to open up a microbrewery with the proper licensing? I bet if you ask on the microbrew forums they tell you about 500k - 1 million absolute minimum.

Same to open up a bar.

Last edited:
Are there any medicinal micro breweries that are allowed sell alcohol to the public?

Medical booze that's a new one!

God bless Cali

How much do you figure it would cost to open up a microbrewery with the proper licensing? I bet if you ask on the microbrew forums they tell you about 500k - 1 million absolute minimum.

Same to open up a bar.

During prohibition doctors did prescribe medical alcohol FTR. It's pretty similar to cannabis nowadays.

During prohibition doctors did prescribe medical alcohol FTR. It's pretty similar to cannabis nowadays.

Pretty interesting I don't know that. Was the liquor sold out of a pharmacy or a separate venue that only sold alcohol the way cannabis is treated in med states today? Was it a national thing or a state to state basis?

But a lot of people want to make low quality moonshine, sell shots out the kitchen window and call their house a bar/pharmacy.

As far as investing in the future seems like rec is the way to go much like alcohol today.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Pretty interesting I don't know that. Was the liquor sold out of a pharmacy or a separate venue that only sold alcohol the way cannabis is treated in med states today? Was it a national thing or a state to state basis?

But a lot of people want to make low quality moonshine, sell shots out the kitchen window and call their house a bar/pharmacy.

As far as investing in the future seems like rec is the way to go much like alcohol today.

sold in pharmacies. if you are making low quality moonshine, you aint gonna sell many shots since high quality legal liquor is available. GOOD shine is about as, if not more, expensive than lots of bourbons. the fact that it is illegal & untaxed is a huge part of its popularity...sounds like weed, huh? :biggrin:

This is true. A friend of mine gave me some great moonshine a few months ago. His wife makes a few gallons every year. I wish I had some now.