What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scotts-Miracle grow buys Gavita and Botanicare

iBogart

Veteran
Shit just got real. Real scary.

By Alicia Wallace, The Cannabist Staff

Scotts Miracle-Gro is hiking its holdings in hydroponics.
The lawn-and-garden giant — helmed by a CEO who sees legal marijuana as a billion-dollar opportunity — shelled out $136 million for Gavita, a Dutch grow lighting and hardware company, and on Monday inked a deal to buy Arizona-based Botanicare, a plant nutrient and hydroponics products provider that notched about $40 million in sales, Scotts Miracle-Gro officials said Wednesday...

Full story:http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/08/04/scotts-miracle-gro-marijuana-hydroponic/60229/

Fuck homies. It's happening.

iBogart

Veteran

Yeah, the guy is a real maverick.:jerkit:

From the story you posted:

Hagedorn has not given up on growing his own marijuana, either. He is already looking into foreign markets like Israel, Canada and Jamaica, where Scotts might be able to legally set up labs to test its products and conduct cannabis research. Hagedorn’s most eye-opening idea: someday expanding the company’s research on genetics into cannabis to create GMO marijuana. Showing an ounce of restraint, he says he is not ready to run that idea by the company’s directors–yet

kakaman

This man is a true RENEGADE!!!! Hes like a living walking version of the song "Highway to the DANGER ZONE" and this is only the awesomeness hes telling us about!!:cool:

"someday expanding the company’s research on genetics into cannabis to create GMO marijuana. Showing an ounce of restraint, he says he is not ready to run that idea by the company’s directors–yet"

Not ready to tell the directors but hes ready to tell the general public full of people who lose there mind over this GMO crap??? Almost like hes trying to make noise.

No reason to vote against legalization because the public despises this vile GMO crap so much it will be easy to pass ballot questions to put a lid on that crap!

CoCoSativas

Go dope might not be that big a deal though I would want to know why do that when breeding is probably more effective unless you want weed to grow on the moon or some shit I dunno the point of fucking with cannabis genetics.

That's funny soon one company will own all the hydrostatic. Oh well it's like in the tool world stably black and decker owns so much shit so many brands all made by the same ownership.

Life goes on its the reality of the world people are fast, smart and know how to get ahead of the next guy.

Though I was considering switching from gavita to Solis tek or nanotek that's only after my gavita ballasts no longer work really I'll use them until they die somewhere around my place.

Like the gh food some will quit buying since they sold out but I'm sure the loss of customers will not be as significant as the gains they will make. It seems like a smart buisness choice on their part how can you go wrong if no matter what hydro food people buy they make a profit it's like the game of monopoly lol.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DAMN IT!!!

I was hoping to score a gavita light.
Guess I'll be looking at the chinese stuff as I'd rather keep a poor chinaman eating than anybody that supports Scotts.

I need a source for Unsteamed Bonemeal too. Miracle Grow has it but who else does?

iBogart

Veteran
This letter from the CEO of Botanicare was issued after the Scott-Miracle Gro deal with General Hydroponics. Amazing stuff.

Dear Valued Industry Partner,

As most people within our industry are aware, a significant change was announced recently. Long time industry leader and innovator, General Hydroponics (GH), has been acquired by Scotts Miracle-Gro (who also distributes Roundup under license from Monsanto). This news is significant to our industry for multiple reasons. In addition to a major corporation buying their way into the hydroponic industry, Scotts has a history of business practices that do not align with the values and beliefs of many who are dedicated and passionately involved in our industry.

My primary concern relates to you, our customers. The normal distribution channel within our industry is through retail hydroponic stores. We know Scotts normal distribution channel is through big box outlets, such as Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. You and I know that distributing through big box outlets would be extremely harmful to you and to our existing industry.

Much of Botanicare's growth and success throughout our nearly 20 years in business is due to the high value that we place on developing and maintaining relationships with our retailer and distribution partners. These partnerships have created mutual successes and in several cases have led to valued friendships.

Botanicare remains committed to these partnerships and will look for ways to strengthen them. Furthermore, as an organization, we will remain committed to our core values that have served us well and have guided our actions over the years. In accordance with these values we produce only high quality products without compromise. We will remain devoted to the independent retailers and our distribution partners who have given us so much support over the years. This is a pivotal time for our industry and as we navigate through these changes we are here to support you and the hydroponic community along the way.

If you have questions or concerns regarding this development or Botanicare's position please contact me via the email address below. You will receive a response from me or a Botanicare representative as quickly as possible.

Treg@botanicare.com

Sincerely,
Treg Bradley

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That just reminded me...

I saw the Earth Juice line of products at Home Depot the other day.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
This letter from the CEO of Botanicare was issued after the Scott-Miracle Gro deal with General Hydroponics. Amazing stuff.

Dear Valued Industry Partner,

As most people within our industry are aware, a significant change was announced recently. Long time industry leader and innovator, General Hydroponics (GH), has been acquired by Scotts Miracle-Gro (who also distributes Roundup under license from Monsanto). This news is significant to our industry for multiple reasons. In addition to a major corporation buying their way into the hydroponic industry, Scotts has a history of business practices that do not align with the values and beliefs of many who are dedicated and passionately involved in our industry.

My primary concern relates to you, our customers. The normal distribution channel within our industry is through retail hydroponic stores. We know Scotts normal distribution channel is through big box outlets, such as Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. You and I know that distributing through big box outlets would be extremely harmful to you and to our existing industry.

Much of Botanicare's growth and success throughout our nearly 20 years in business is due to the high value that we place on developing and maintaining relationships with our retailer and distribution partners. These partnerships have created mutual successes and in several cases have led to valued friendships.

Botanicare remains committed to these partnerships and will look for ways to strengthen them. Furthermore, as an organization, we will remain committed to our core values that have served us well and have guided our actions over the years. In accordance with these values we produce only high quality products without compromise. We will remain devoted to the independent retailers and our distribution partners who have given us so much support over the years. This is a pivotal time for our industry and as we navigate through these changes we are here to support you and the hydroponic community along the way.

If you have questions or concerns regarding this development or Botanicare's position please contact me via the email address below. You will receive a response from me or a Botanicare representative as quickly as possible.

Treg@botanicare.com

Sincerely,
Treg Bradley

I wonder if Treg is looking for a job? Or is this a case of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"?

CoCoSativas

DAMN IT!!!

I was hoping to score a gavita light.
Guess I'll be looking at the chinese stuff as I'd rather keep a poor chinaman eating than anybody that supports Scotts.

I need a source for Unsteamed Bonemeal too. Miracle Grow has it but who else does?

Grab em while they are old stock! Quick.

I have 600 gavita digistar classics (pre e series) they kick ass. If you can find them you are only supporting the retailer who sells them. Any classic series would work.

Many new designs going that are quality too.

CoCoSativas

I think gavita sold too low. They are a 250M

Obviously their assets and sales don't back up your assessment lol.

It's biz not guess what it's worth and it is gavita would have sold for close to its value give or take a bit either way.

I would know I just sold a buisness it takes a while and is pretty in depth

DJM

i cant wait to see all the people bashing gh start backpedaling when they find out all their grow lights are also owned by scott...

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Or the organic snobs buying Vermifire (Monsanto again).

How many bandwagons can one person stand in at once?

RGZ

Botanicares owner is a women who could careless about growing this is and always was just business since got the company. Not surprising.

kakaman

As pointed out before in the Forbes article posted in this thread the guy running this company is such a clueless narcissistic douche completely tone deaf to his target market hes most likely going to do something to severely damage his sales.

BUT FIRST HES GOING TO THE !!!DANGER ZONE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzQ3eBerHfM

010108ep.jpg

Last edited:
Well I guess if you're much for the stock market, this is probably good news for investors. Not so sure how to take it as a Cannabis grower though, really. Does look like they're trying to make some progress in the Cannabis industry, but who knows what direction!

Latest posts

Latest posts