What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Connoisseur Genetics - SSSDH - Drip/DWC

Dakine

Veteran
haha Im not so sure about sativa leaning, Maybe Sativa Dominant!Any future plans on adding some new strains to your mix?

Are you planning on changing your feed? Or are you gonna keep the same mix all the way through out flower? Im tryna decide if I should start adding Raw Potassium when I feed the flowering plants...

GastroGrower

Lol, yeah I'd like to pop a couple of the other seeds I have from this pack to see if I can find a more indica dominant one. I've smoked this strain a few different times from other growers and definitely prefer it on the indica side, plus it would be nicer to have a more squat structure.

I'll probably keep this feeding schedule through this run to feel out how the SSSDH likes to finish out. I think the Hydroplex is decent, but I'd definitely like to see if there are other bloom boosters out there that would work well - I'm not really familiar with the Raw product. For the drip/DWC systems I run I do like Botanicare as it's easy and seems to work well. I'm starting to try out coco and would like to try Canna nutes sometime down the road though.

I plan on dialing in the SSSDH as much as possible and running it as one of my main mommies - I've been dreaming of this strain for a while now and I'm hoping it'll live up to my expectations. Unless the TD really blows me away I'll probably tuck away the remaining seeds I have for later.

I've got a bunch of Pink Bazooka hybrids I'm going to be working through I got from DTOG and a few random ones I'd like to try just for fun - Sensi Skunk #1, Barneys Farm Critical Kush, hand full of freebies I'd like to try out.

We have some shitty plant limits they recently applied in WA so unfortunately I can only grow out a couple different strains at a time, mother plants included.

Dakine

Veteran
The Bud you got from other growers was from the same dispensary/breeder as well? I agree with you though on squat like structure. Even If I have the room Id still prefer Less but Bigger Budsites,Shorter length of Branches between internodes, and thicker&shorter branches..
The only Sativa that I EVER liked the structure of Was from A Freebie Pack of SamTheSkunkman Skunk/haze cross that I got from the Bou about 10 years ago. She grew just like A Single Cola Indica but with all the characteristics of A SAtiva. Super thin spear shaped leaves, but barely any stretch only until it was flowering.

Im not that familiar with Raw either but I wanted to try them out. How has the salt build up been with your coco? How many cuts did you take of the SSSDH? I also havent tried Canna Nutes but Ive heard alot of good reviews on their products .

Are you going to leave all the lower/smaller budsites on both plants? Or are you gonna take some off so they can concentrate on growing the bigger/higher bud sites?

Damn man that sucks, what was the reason for them bringing the count down? You have any rebel friends you could keep some of your moms with so you can try out some other strains?

GastroGrower

Very likely a different breeder, if it was even tangerine dream at all. It's hard to know for sure when you're going through a dispensary. Either way, I do like the 'tangerine flavored/scented' strains I've had.

I've grown out a few sativas but hands down my favorite is a cut of Jack Herer I picked up. It was pretty stretchy but produced really well and the quality of the bud was amazing. Even someone just learning the ropes like me is able to produce some good medicine from it. Sadly, the mother plant had systemic PM and I had to let her go. I only took two cuts of the SSSDH. I may try to take a few more from lower branches this week and see if I can get them to root - I've seen some success with cuts early in flower.

I've been trimming it up every couple days to clean up anything under the main light canopy. I'll probably keep anything small that pops up from here on out trimmed off as well, the haze is getting a lot more attention in that sense. I need to adjust my lights when I get a chance as the tops aren't getting nearly enough light.

The restrictions were put in place in July when WA merged the medical and recreational systems. They closed down all the medical resources, got rid of collective gardens outside of a small group of people, and took individual limits from around 15 plants to 6. It's been a challenge, but I try to think of it as an opportunity to pick my favorite strains, as well as a reason to grow trees. Once I land on a cut of the SSSDH I really like, I'll probably run it alone in this tent in a scrog with a much larger reservoir. I think I can get a lb per run with this setup assuming enough veg time and light.

My mom is a really good gardener. I want to convince her to get her medical authorization so she can hold onto my mother plants haha. She's old so they'll probably give it to her. My mother plants would be mingling with my mom's mums.

GastroGrower

Update - Day 35 of Flower

Update - Day 35 of Flower

Today I swapped out one of the LED lights for an equivalent wattage CFL so I could get some more coverage up on nodes at the top of the tent. Girls are looking good for the most part but bud development seems kind of slow.

picture.php

Last edited:

GastroGrower

Thought I'd share an update and a comparison of the trunks of these two strains. Yesterday I finally got the exhaust for this tent routed outside of the room it's in, so temperatures are much more consistent.

SSSDH
picture.php

TD
picture.php

Nuglets
picture.php

Still streeeetttccchhhiiinnngggg
picture.php

Dakine

Veteran
Damn Bro those stems are pretty thick haha, The TD stem looks like A Bamboo stick or somethin you buy from a store lol..

Is there A Big Difference with the CFL bulb then the LED? How is the light penetration on the lower parts of both plants? Also what socket size is that CFL ur now using?

Do the plants need alot of tying up now? It kinda looks like the stretch has slowed down, and now they can concentrate on producin those Dank Buds!

GastroGrower

The light penetration on the CFL isn't as good as the LEDs, but it's not as directional so works for the canopy well. Stretch is pretty much done so it won't need to be tied up more until the bud weight starts to pull things down.

Dakine

Veteran
Fuck I forgot if I asked you but how tall where these girls on the day you started to flower? Anything happenin yet with those bazooka hybrids/da stuff you got from dtog?

I think the CFL would do a lot better if you where able to put in on the side of the plant near the middle of her/them. That's how I run the CFLs/Led bulbs on top of my hps/mh..

I was gonna post a pic of my SSSDH girls for you to see/compare but ou already stopped by.. Ya kno an update with pics would be nice homie. I'm sure they look a lot different from 10 days ago haha

GastroGrower

Hey Dakine, I just got back from a week long trip out of the state! Sadly I don't have a very good update to share. I'm not sure what happened at this point but both the Tangerine Dream and the Haze were really low on water at some point. I guess the person watching over them had an issue with feeding on time. Not sure, but the past is the past and gotta get moving forward. Getting RO water made for a reservoir refill as soon as possible.

Looks like most of the fan leaves on the TD are dead and need to be pulled. Buds seem OK aside from some deficiency issues. The SSSDH isn't as dry but is STILL stretching at the end of week 7. Several top buds pushed up against the light while I was gone and burned. I will see if I can pull the TD through in the next week or two. If not, then I'll rearrange the tent for just the SSSDH and toss the TD. I feel like I'm not getting much out of these considering this far into the flowering cycle and am a little embarrassed. Maybe they're just moving slowly.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

GastroGrower

Here's a few shots of the SSSDH. Stretched like crazy.

I'll probably need to trim some if I can't train them away from the lights.

picture.php
picture.php

GastroGrower

As far as the Pink Bazooka hybrids, I've popped a number of seeds, and selected my favorite of each strain (plant limits and shit).

* Gluebreath - has a nice onion/sweet smell to a stem rub - the garlic in it makes me think of BBQ. Good structure. Female.
* Karmdown #2 - Straight up body order smell. Dark green leaves and tight internodes. Reminds me of a lot of 'OG' plants I've seen. My favorite pheno happened to produce three primary branches instead of two. Appears to be female.
* Stardawg (Corey Cut) - just popped this a while ago. One is in soil and looks like it's doing well. The others are moving really slow and if they do come out, I'll probably put them in coco.

PIC 1 - Gluebreath x Pink Bazooka and two Karmdown # 2 x Pink Bazooka clones which were just transplanted.
picture.php

PIC 2 - The Karmdown # 2 x Pink Bazooka mother.
picture.php

Dakine

Veteran
Glad to see you back Gastro! MAn I dont understand why its so hard for people to take care of anyplant, yet alone water them even once a day if needed.. Makes me lose a little faith in some people haha..

Wow that TD looks a little crispy, atleast you dont have to defoliate since its kinda already done!... Yeah you kinda need to do alot of training, theyre both reaching for the stars.. Glad to know the buds are doing ok.. I hope you can keep both strains though, since youve already put so much work into getting them where they are.

Is the SSSDH girl filling in at all? Or did she get damaged from the drying out? Its weird that their both still stretching this bad! IT seems like they gotta be 3 month flowering strains atleast or somethin ya?

What are the genetic lines of the Karmdown and Stardawgs? How old are everything? I dont remember you saying anything about these girls!? So the 2nd pic is of the mother of the 2 clones in the 1st pic? Are the other main branches below/underneath? Or is this a different girl, which is why it looks like you didnt top her?

GastroGrower

Is the SSSDH girl filling in at all? Or did she get damaged from the drying out? Its weird that their both still stretching this bad! IT seems like they gotta be 3 month flowering strains atleast or somethin ya?

The SSSDH still looks ok, and buds are still developing. I think the stretch is in big part due to their environment. Temp has been really hard to maintain this grow, especially at the beginning when it was so hot in late summer. I do think both of these phenos will go considerably longer than the advertised flower time though. I may do a heavy topping on the TD - most of the buds on the mid level branches are actually looking better.

What are the genetic lines of the Karmdown and Stardawgs? How old are everything? I dont remember you saying anything about these girls!? So the 2nd pic is of the mother of the 2 clones in the 1st pic? Are the other main branches below/underneath? Or is this a different girl, which is why it looks like you didnt top her?

Here are the family trees for the Karmdown and Stardawg hybrids. The pic of the mother was before I topped it for the first time and shows it's natural growth pattern. I've topped it right above the last trifoliate node so I have 3 primary branches to clone from.

picture.php
picture.php

On a related note, here is the Gluebreath hybrid today. Looking much better now that it's moved to a drip system and is getting a normal feeding regimen. leaves are praying and finally getting their color back.
picture.php

Dakine

Veteran
So I Was looking at the Stardawg genetic makeup and let me see if im looking at this right lol..
So Started off with ChemDawg 01' x Afgani #1 = Double Dawg, then DoubleDawg Back Crossed with the ChemDawg 01' = Tres Dawg, then there was the Unknown Indica x ChemDawg#4 and what ever that produced was then crossed with Tresdawg to make Stardawg?

Then we have the Indiana Bubblegum which was incrossed to make PinkBazooka and then backcrossed to itself to make PinkBazooka IX1? But Stardawg was crossed with the PinkBazooka and then what was produced was crossed with the PinkBazooka IX1 to make (Stardawg x Pink Bazooka) x Pink Bazooka IX1 = StellarGum ?

Sorry IF I didnt read it right lol.. Please correct me cause I think im totally wrong.. Oh and DONT Top the TD LOL Try to just let the tops go, and bend the stems or something so you dont lose anythin

GastroGrower

Whoops, the block that says Stardawg x Pink Bazooka should say only Stardawg. That's just a clerical error on my part. Stellar Gum was just a nickname I gave the strain for my own reference, haha.

Fuck, sometimes Microsoft Word is just too much when I'm really high.

I'll be checking again tonight, but it does look like the TD will pull through. I have tomorrow off so I'll try to stay up late and try to train both it and the haze away from the light.

Dakine

Veteran
Im kinda suprised that once the StarDawg was created, they didnt backcross to the ChemDawg 01 or atleast the other ChemDawg #4. IT seems like they where trying to keep the Chemdawg traits locked into the line.. I wonder if the Stardawg/ Stellar would start to throw nanners if you ran her to long?

That gluebreath looks much happier then the first photo of her haha.. How many times do you usually top A Girl before flower?

GastroGrower

As far as topping goes, I usually just top when I want to take clones or even out the canopy on a plant. That Gluebreath has only been topped once if I recall correctly.

I put those family trees together primarily by what is listed on ********** so it's certainly possible I'm off on a few parts. Mostly just a tool for my own reference anyway.

Dakine

Veteran
Alright, I was just asking because I wanted to start getting my clones ready to do A SOG Run.

The Seeds you planted where S1s? Or where they standard?

Have the TD and SSSDH Girls recovered and packing on some bud yet?