What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pot Farmers Steal Water Amid Epic Drought

RetroGrow

Veteran
It seems some growers are diverting the water supply from streams & creeks:

"The water that flows through California’s public lands and state parks is the life blood of the forests’ ecosystems. But in the midst of a water shortage, the Investigative Unit has found some criminals are disrupting nature’s course and stealing massive amounts of water meant for public lands.

The Investigative Unit spoke with a rancher who noticed the water levels in his lake drop a dramatic six feet in just three weeks.

“It was just so odd,” he told the Investigative Unit.

The rancher soon discovered hundreds of feet of piping siphoning his water to a marijuana grow site illegally setup in a nearby state park. He asked for his identity to be concealed to protect his safety.

“It’s something you wouldn’t even imagine how they go through rocks, trees. They would divert using all these plumbing systems through all these canyons,” he said. “I am losing my water. We love the water here.”

According to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife’s Marijuana Enforcement Team (MET), in the last two years, illegal marijuana grows have stolen 1.2 billion gallons of water. That’s the equivalent of 2,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools.
“We are absolutely seeing more aggressive water-stealing by marijuana cultivators,” said Lieutenant John Nores, head of the Fish and Wildlife’s MET. “Water is getting much more limited with the drought.”

Just this year, wardens from Fish and Wildlife’s MET have uncovered 136 dams, reservoirs and elaborate piping systems set up by pot growers to steal water. One of those was the system near the rancher’s property, uncovered deep in Henry Coe State Park near Morgan Hill, about 35 miles southeast of San Jose. Raid video provided to the Investigative Unit by Fish and Wildlife shows wardens armed and with a K-9 unit approaching the illegal grow of 8,000 plants.

“You can see the chemicals,” a warden says in the video, pointing to a pipe gushing with water.
The team of park rangers and Fish and Wildlife wardens is trained in military tactics for these missions. In the last two years, they have made 436 arrests at trespass marijuana grows and seized 500,000 plants, all nourished with stolen water.

“We call it the black gold for our growers,” Lt. Nores said about the water. “As long as they have water source in our woods, they are kind of hidden and they can get water to their plants long enough to successfully harvest their plants.”

Nores hiked with the Investigative Unit to another busted marijuana grow in Shasta Trinity National Forest in Redding where law enforcement found 3,000 plants this past August.

Left behind was eight miles of irrigation piping that siphoned water from a nearby river.

“This water diversion was responsible–if this grow had not been found by the end of the year–for about 3.6 million gallons of water,” Nores said.

Fish and Wildlife provided video from another raid in Tulare County, near Bakersfield, where they found seven reservoirs diverting water from the river that provides water to the nearby Tule River American Indian Tribe.

“They’ve taken every single drop of out of this creek,” one of the wardens says in the video.
“The risk is, that everything that we’ve worked so hard to save, will unravel,” said Sam Hodder, director of Save the Redwoods.

The organization has fought for years to preserve public land. Hodder said a mature marijuana plant requires eight gallons of water a day and stealing this amount of water can be deadly to the environment.

“The whole system is getting hurt,” Hodder said. “When the streams and rivers are losing water, the habitat and the wildlife that depend on that water suffer.”

Lawmakers have begun to recognize the problem. Earlier this year, Congressman Jared Huffman, who represents California’s most northern district, proposed a bill called the PLANT Act – Protecting Lands Against Narcotics Trafficking Act – that would enhance penalties for trespass marijuana grows.

“Especially this year, the worst drought year California has ever seen, it’s more important than ever to crack down on water theft,” Congressman Huffman told the Investigative Unit. “I think setting stronger penalties is part of the solution.” he said.
The problem is especially relevant for Huffman’s district, where 60 percent of the marijuana in the country is produced.

The PLANT Act goes into effect this month. Huffman hopes it will deter these crimes and will in turn, protect the environment.

As for those affected by water loss, the rancher we spoke with near Henry Coe State Park had this advice: “Cross your fingers for a wet year.”

Videos @ the site:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/Pot-Farmers-Steal-Water-Amid-Epic-Drought-281822141.html

Apache Kush

Interesting read
I think, If we made it rain over the Ho-chi-Men trail in 1969!
to effect the norths suppy lines
We should be able to make it pour over now in 2014.. with weather manipulation
like HARP or cloud seeding with heavy metals TO MAKE RAIN!
Noooo that would only lower corn, cattle, and dairy prices and effect there bottom line smh
has to be cartels on mega grows

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I find irrigation lines in sequoia all the time....I would say 60 percent illegals/cartel/ 40 percent locals around here...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If cannabis were legal (no laws on the books) these issues would not exist as there would be zero profit potential.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
I hate news like this, we are the ones who look bad! I make sure I pay for all my hydro and water, we have to stay respectable in the last days of pot prohibition. Stories like this give prohibitionist weasels like Kevin Sabet more ammo, and further delay progress.

We are winning, lets keep it that way! Don't steal water , don't steal hydro! Keep it honest people!

And fuck the cartels for making us look bad, I can't wait until those criminals are out of the pot business for good!

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
" Hodder said a mature marijuana plant requires eight gallons of water a day" when officials don't know what the fuck their talking about and news writers print these exaggerated claims the hole story looses credibility

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
" Hodder said a mature marijuana plant requires eight gallons of water a day" when officials don't know what the fuck their talking about and news writers print these exaggerated claims the hole story looses credibility

wtf?
goofballs.

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
We have this problem in Butte Co., large cartel or out of state growers setting up huge illegal grows and siphoning off creek water on public land. We don't have enough for the legitimate growers let alone carpetbaggers so I say put the screws to them!

RetroGrow

Veteran
Imagine what will happen if Obama's plan to import 30 million more illegals succeeds. The cartels and gangs will overwhelm every bit of public land, not to mention an increase in gangs of rippers.

Apache Kush

If people could go buy good meds like beer at the corner store/ The suppy would meet the demand. Than would we all need grow rooms?? water bills up the ass wasting resources, well probably ...

but a lot less growers using all that water for Cali, AZ, Co
where the drought is in the Southwest . . . my two cents idk we need to make it rain for reals

By the coast the clouds crash in every night, if you got a dehumidifier then you got water. Yeah its a shitty situation. We need to stress the sustainability aspect its a moral one especially since the term medicine is being applied so much these days. Is it medicine if its draining lakes and ponds with out giving back?

By the coast the clouds crash in every night, if you got a dehumidifier then you got water. Yeah its a shitty situation. We need to stress the sustainability aspect its a moral one especially since the term medicine is being applied so much these days. Is it medicine if its draining lakes and ponds with out giving back?

Is a dehum an efficient source of collecting water? Never heard of that before

Is a dehum an efficient source of collecting water? Never heard of that before

Efficiency is a relative concept. Sustainability, now that's what we are trying to achieve. I'm guessing mendoloco that you are a) in a desert and don't need a dehuey b) don't live near the coast c) has a vicious powdery mildew and pithium problem due to not running a dehuey in the garden. Since this thread is about water sustainability and cannabis cultivations impact on California and not mine or your wallet/budget. But hey if you ARE worried about addition charges for eletric, I'm sure the dehuey would be nothing for a panel or two of solar cells right?

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
You can get huge dehumifiers made specially to collect water, and yes solar is the way to go to power them up...big investment though and you need enough rh in your location to make viable.