What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coot's mix - Blood, Bone, Fish meal question

bigbadbiddy

Howdy folks,

in the process of mixing up a new batch of coot's mix, struggling to get blood and bone meal for agriculture around here.

What I keep running into is a Fish, Bone, Blood meal mix...

Anyone have experience with that?
Coot's mix calls for equal parts of blood and bone meal as amendments. Could I replace those with a double dose of the Fish, Bone, Blood meal mix?

I have not informed myself about nor had any experience with fish meal. Since I had a bad ride last time around, where I replaced perlite for buckwheat hulls, I wanted to clarify first and ask for people with experience.

Problem I have is if I order the blood meal pure, I have to order it from one country and the bone meal from another. I am already pissed off that I have to order this stuff from around Europe, wouldn't mind if I can at least make it one order from one country ...

Another question while I'm at it:
I have the choice between dolomite lime with 5% magnesium oxide and dolo lime with 20% mgo. What would you guys take?
I figured I take the 20% mgo version and omit the epsom salts from the recipe. Last time I had the 5% mgo version and added epsom salts and I had a feeling sometimes that the plants might be a little magnesium deficient.
Hard to say though as it seems more and more like the buckwheat hulls were what threw everything out of whack and it is hard for me to determine if the soil mixes I had before were deficient in any area or if it was all from the buckwheat hulls causing all kinds of issues (PH, N deficiency for sure, compaction through composting and thus massive drainage issues leading to root rot etc.).

Alright, thanks for the feedback y'all.

All the best

BBB

Granger2

Veteran
Go to Build a soil .com and follow their Coot's mix recipe. Your recipe sounds like a very early Coot's mix. Good luck. -granger

bigbadbiddy

Alright I'll have a look on their lists.

Problem is, I still can't order from them. But maybe they list different ingredients now with their updated recipes. And maybe I can get those better around here.

Thanks folks!

Limeygreen

Veteran
If you can't see how much of each ingredient is on the mixture, email the company and ask them, they should be able to tell you the rough blend percentages.

You should send in a soil test once you soil has cooked so see where you're at. For me I use modern methods mix, omit the fish compost and use leaf compost instead. The recipe would be easier in the end and has better mineral contents. Otherwise I would double check your lime and see which one has available mg and if they match up with each other. Personally I would tend to err of the side of the lower amount and use 5 percent then I can always drench in epsom salt if needed, too much will block your calcium and harder to take away epsom salt than it is to add.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
My research on dolomote lime suggests that you want a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium.

I second Limeygreen that less is more, much easier to diagnose and treat a deficiency.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does Coot really recommend those ingredients? I'd forget the dolomite. I can't believe he recommends that. Use gypsum and oyster shell. Bloodmeal commercially is dangerous. Find someone killing a goat; there's your bloodmeal. Spray it on fishmeal and dry it.

Don't buy a bunch of shit from all over the place. Use locally available stuff. Coot would agree, I think.

bigbadbiddy

Does Coot really recommend those ingredients? I'd forget the dolomite. I can't believe he recommends that. Use gypsum and oyster shell. Bloodmeal commercially is dangerous. Find someone killing a goat; there's your bloodmeal. Spray it on fishmeal and dry it.

Don't buy a bunch of shit from all over the place. Use locally available stuff. Coot would agree, I think.

That's how I ended up with buckwheat hulls though ... by buying what is locally available.
And that didn't do much good..

I checked the updated recipes on kis organics and build a soil and to me it seems the main update was to use a mix of crab and shrimp meal instead of blood and bone, along with mixing in malted barley that has been put through a blender.

While reading those recipes, I remember that this is how I ended up with the krill meal.
I couldn't find crab meal, shrimp meal was available.
So I figured "ok, krill is really tiny crabs/shrimps, so probably more shell, less meat and therefore probably closest to a mix of crab and shrimp."

And that's how I ended up with krill meal and planning to replace blood and bone meal with it.
But it is from a fishing bait shop. Seeing how I fell flat on my belly with the buckwheat hulls I got from a yoga shop last time around, I am hesitant to use the krill meal just because it wasn't sold for gardening purposes...
Shrimp meal I could get from the same sources (fishing bait shops) but crab meal I could not find outside of getting it from China.

So now I have to make a decision:
A) Try the krill meal as a replacement for the crab/shrimp meal mix and replace the blood and bone meal with it
B) Get blood and bone meal from separate sources but both are sold for gardening
C) Get a Fish, Blood, Bone meal mix instead

Any advice, feedback/what you would do is very welcome!

And before anyone mentions it: I have tried to contact farms/farmers directly. It is different over here, very industrial the whole thing ... The best I could manage in my area was a bio farmer being willing to potentially part with some of his dung from cows and horses. Even the bio/organic farmers use pre-mixed fertilizers they buy from farming supplies. They have all organic ingredients but its not like you can get single ingredients. Everybody keeps asking "what do you plan to grow?" and if you say "tomatoes and peppers", they always go "well there you have it, use company xyz's tomato and pepper nutrient mix! what do you mean you want the single ingredients and mix it yourself? That makes no sense..."

/Edit
and thanks on the feedback on the dolomite lime.
I had the same line of thinking last time "less is more" approach and all, which is how I ended up with the dolo lime 5% mgo last time as well. Just forgot I had already thought that through and just remembered I had potential Mag deficiency at some stages and was adding epsom salt and worrying it wasn't enough, so I considered increasing the base saturation by going with the 15% mgo dolo lime.

But I have heard several times that gypsum is preferable so I will look to get that instead and stick to the epsom salts for the Mag source.

/Edit 2
I just checked for gypsum right quick and it is available for me but just regular modelling/hobby/construction gypsum from the DIY store ala home depot etc.

Probably fine to use, just like Perlite. So probably going to get and use that.

I am just really shaky/insecure about using anything that is not sold for gardening/agriculture because of my experience with the buckwheat hulls...

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
85 percent calcium saturation and 8 percent magnesium saturation is enough in your soil, then apply epsom salt week 3 and possibly 5 on a 10-12 week flower cycle. If you're vegging them, every 3-4 weeks one tsp per gallon of water for epsom salt should suffice, if you need more add more frequently, if you let them root bind in the pot of that soil you will need it more often.

bigbadbiddy

85 percent calcium saturation and 8 percent magnesium saturation is enough in your soil, then apply epsom salt week 3 and possibly 5 on a 10-12 week flower cycle. If you're vegging them, every 3-4 weeks one tsp per gallon of water for epsom salt should suffice, if you need more add more frequently, if you let them root bind in the pot of that soil you will need it more often.

Thanks man, very helpful stuff!

I never got a clear cut answer on when to add which amendment in which form once I start running from the prepared soil batch ..

Only ever heard "just topdress everything in between rounds and water with ACTS (EWC+molasses) every couple of weeks during runs"