What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best expatriate countries for smokers?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I think this succinctly as possible sums up my needs also.
Made me chuckle.
No Input than I’ve had a few friends move to Columbia recently and are really liking it so far.

I will be retiring with very little money. Kampot in Cambodia has many English speaking people and is really cheap for rent. Phuket in Thailand is party town, but not sure about bud laws there. Koh Samui is beautiful in Thailand. Saw that a long time ago they setup people buying bud for bribes.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Where all have you lived "Inside" the USA? The diversity of our country is simply amazing. Denver is about as weed friendly as any place you could imagine!

NYC area. Have heard legal bud in Denver is $30 a gram with taxes. An ounce would pay rent for a year in nice area of Cambodia for one room. Chicken Sate is $1.70 from street vendor. Weed is crap compared to US, but $1 a gram.

This country is on the brink. It will either get better, or much worse. My parents lived through the great depression, and know how bad things can be if the corporations crash the economy for their own greed.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Go visit, stay for 6 weeks, see the pros/cons of proposed "Best expatriate countries for smokers?" Then you'll get an idea if area is ok to set roots down. Don't move without knowing the country/locale/vibe.

I would only rent there. Kampot is very laid back and quiet. Phuket Thailand is party town, but drug laws may be stricter.

Loc Dog

Veteran
What about Canada? That's my USA fallback (cuz idk if I'll ever make it to Russia due to me being poor). Canada is gonna be legal soon.

I emailed a homeless shelter in Canada a couple weeks ago. They didn't say yes buuut they didn't say no either...lol... ;)

Sorry to hear that. Cambodia you need visa and money to live and get home. Very cheap to live. Rooms for a hundred a month and cheap food, but need money. Plus 23 hour flight.

I imagine that if weed goes legal anywhere/everywhere in the USA that prices will be high... guess you gotta grow your own if you stay :) But eventually i think that the free market will bring prices down some. Probably wont ever be cheap, but someone will want to cash in on the "budget concious" market and will mass produce regs.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I imagine that if weed goes legal anywhere/everywhere in the USA that prices will be high... guess you gotta grow your own if you stay :) But eventually i think that the free market will bring prices down some. Probably wont ever be cheap, but someone will want to cash in on the "budget concious" market and will mass produce regs.

Prices got insanely low on California market last year, not the selling market, but people trying to dump large quantities of outdoor.

That is why Oligarchy wants to take over all cannabis, like Tobacco, and only a few legal growers.

Loc Dog

Veteran
G `day LD

Thailand ; ganja is illegal .
They have piss tests . Cops are corrupt . Brick weed ...

I see the Nth Marianas are looking to legalize ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

What are Nth Marianas? Do they have stores and apartments? I hear that word and think underwater trench. Do they speak English or what language?

green404

NYC area. Have heard legal bud in Denver is $30 a gram with taxes. An ounce would pay rent for a year in nice area of Cambodia for one room.

That's absurd and false. You can buy grams of topshelf all day long for $10. if you want cheap you can buy OZs for $70. LBs for $600-$800.

As far as "cheap" countries, You can live cheap in many countries but most expats do not want to live like that.. usually expats will save around 30% in living costs.
3rd world cheap is living with the smell of sewage, getting robbed frequently, having your home pillaged when you leave, etc.

Personally I think you have the wrong priorities in mind. Cheap is cheap for a reason.

Shack next to raw sewage vs an apartment with posh dispensaries down the block. Buying brown weed from a crack head in an alley who might rob you vs going to a dispensary and asking a friendly pretty 20yr old girl what she prefers.

There is a nice place in the middle it is less expensive but it is not "cheap".

Just my 2cents

W

Water-

I would only rent there. Kampot is very laid back and quiet. Phuket Thailand is party town, but drug laws may be stricter.

The area around Krabi Thailand is the most relaxed in Southern Thailand when it comes to smoking, i think. it is very east to find. and not very hidden.

lots of pretty solo tourist chicks of all ages.

and it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Hoypare.

The area around Krabi Thailand is the most relaxed in Southern Thailand when it comes to smoking, i think. it is very east to find. and not very hidden.

lots of pretty solo tourist chicks of all ages.

and it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Krabi is stunning,been there many many times,fantastic place :tiphat:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
our property tax in USA is $12K a year, for nothing but putting snobs kids through public school that is like private school.

Where are you that the taxes are that much? I thought I lived with the highest property taxes in the world.

Either that, or your house is a million dollar mansion.

Where I live, property taxes on a 300k home are about 5 to 6k per year.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Hence the reason to go, rent a place, feel the vibe.

From Wiki:
Possession, cultivation, and transport (import/export) of up to 10 kg cannabis may result in a maximum sentence of 5 years in prison and/or a fine. Possession, cultivation, and transport of more than 10 kg is punishable by 2–15 years in prison and/or a fine. For the majority of people arrested for simple possession of small quantities of cannabis ("ganja") a fine, rather than prison time, is imposed.

That's not a place I'd want to live, but carpe diem!

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
What are Nth Marianas? Do they have stores and apartments? I hear that word and think underwater trench. Do they speak English or what language?

G `day LD

Nth Marianas - east of the Philippines , west / sth / west of Hawaii . A US territory .
So they speak English .

If you can`t use google .
I would not recommend leaving the borders of the United States of America ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Montuno

...como el Son...

Islas Marianas aka Islas de los Ladrones: a Micronesian group of Islands halfway between Okinawa, Phillippines n Papua/New Guinea , close to the Palau Islands n the Carolines Islands, that were Spanish since 1500 till 1900 (aprox), till Spain musted to "paid" with the Islands' soberanity to USA & Germany (as well as with Cuba, Puerto Rico, Phillipines, Carolines Islands, Palau Islands, etc) after the USA invasión of Cuba & Phillippines n the USA vs Spain War. Between the 1°WW & the 2° WW Japan invaded all the islands, n since the end of 2° WW are an Unincorporated Territory of USA (Guam) n a Free Nation Asociated with USA (Marianas del Norte).

Marianas del Norte are the Northern Islands, n Guam the Southern Island. English ,Chamorro n Carolino (last two are the "natives" tongues: both are a two diferent mixtures of Malayan, Micronesian n a lot of Spanish, both speaked with the Spanish phonetique) are the oficial n mayority languages, n Spanish n Tagalo are minority languages.

I only have knowed people from Guam (not from Marianas Norte) living here: they said me they (in Guam) have a good level of live.Guam people are more related n friendly with USA than people from Marianas Norte (who are more inna the Puerto Rico "way"), they told me...
But Im afraid I dont know anything about their laws...

If samebody from Marianas (or that have been living there) are here in Icmag, sure they can correct me if Im wrong, and/or give you more n better information, cos I only repeat what I have heard.

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
The CNMI Cannabis Act of 2018 is a bill introduced in the Northern Mariana Islands Commonwealth Legislature in 2017 as SB 20-62. It was introduced by Senator Sixto Igisomar and would legalize cannabis possession and consumption by adults and create a Cannabis Commission to regulate sales in the Commonwealth.[1] Hearings on the act were held in October, 2017;[2] a senator said it had the highest public attendance of any hearings he knew of.[3] On May 16, 2018 (May 15 in the States), SB 20-62 had a final vote in the Commonwealth's Senate, and was passed without opposition.[4][2][5] On May 30 (29 in the States), it passed the House Committee on Judiciary and Governmental Operations unanimously.[6]

The act was initially fashioned like a referendum to appear as a ballot question for voters in November, 2018; that language was deleted when it was adopted by the Senate.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNMI_Cannabis_Act_of_2018

Loc Dog

Veteran
Hence the reason to go, rent a place, feel the vibe.

From Wiki:
Possession, cultivation, and transport (import/export) of up to 10 kg cannabis may result in a maximum sentence of 5 years in prison and/or a fine. Possession, cultivation, and transport of more than 10 kg is punishable by 2–15 years in prison and/or a fine. For the majority of people arrested for simple possession of small quantities of cannabis ("ganja") a fine, rather than prison time, is imposed.

That's not a place I'd want to live, but carpe diem!

I saw that exact quote. That was Thailand. They are considering Medical and other. $1000.00 gets you out of trouble if caught, offered immediately, so just one pay off.

I am thinking mostly Cambodia, and maybe some trips to Thailand. Can get beachfront shack for $250 a month in Koh Samui, which is beautiful and has billionaires there.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Where are you that the taxes are that much? I thought I lived with the highest property taxes in the world.

Either that, or your house is a million dollar mansion.

Where I live, property taxes on a 300k home are about 5 to 6k per year.

Anywhere in California should probably that bad, or outskirts of NYC. House was worth a million for property alone in 1990. Now under $500K, due to economy.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Islas Marianas aka Islas de los Ladrones: a Micronesian group of Islands halfway between Okinawa, Phillippines n Papua/New Guinea , close to the Palau Islands n the Carolines Islands, that were Spanish since 1500 till 1900 (aprox), till Spain musted to "paid" with the Islands' soberanity to USA & Germany (as well as with Cuba, Puerto Rico, Phillipines, Carolines Islands, Palau Islands, etc) after the USA invasión of Cuba & Phillippines n the USA vs Spain War. Between the 1°WW & the 2° WW Japan invaded all the islands, n since the end of 2° WW are an Unincorporated Territory of USA (Guam) n a Free Nation Asociated with USA (Marianas del Norte).

Marianas del Norte are the Northern Islands, n Guam the Southern Island. English ,Chamorro n Carolino (last two are the "natives" tongues: both are a two diferent mixtures of Malayan, Micronesian n a lot of Spanish, both speaked with the Spanish phonetique) are the oficial n mayority languages, n Spanish n Tagalo are minority languages.

I only have knowed people from Guam (not from Marianas Norte) living here: they said me they (in Guam) have a good level of live.Guam people are more related n friendly with USA than people from Marianas Norte (who are more inna the Puerto Rico "way"), they told me...
But Im afraid I dont know anything about their laws...

If somebody from Marianas (or that have been living there) are here in Icmag, sure they can correct me if Im wrong, and/or give you more n better information, cos I only repeat what I have heard.

How is the cost, and bud situation? Friend in Cambodia tells me bud sucks. In 60's and 70's Thailand was best in world.

Montuno

...como el Son...
How is the cost, and bud situation? Friend in Cambodia tells me bud sucks. In 60's and 70's Thailand was best in world.

About Marianas ask better to @Elmer bud , cos as you can see in his/her nice post, he/she is so more closer to Marianas n have better n fresher info than I. I only can repeat what the only family from Guam (South Marianas, not North Marianas) that I knowed in Valencia city have tell me.
Anyway, here are a large Phillipines population that are close related to Marianas, but they uses to live inna our big cities n now Im in the deep inland Country, so I cant ask about Marianas to them right now.

Anyway, be sure that Urugay have the most open mind cannabis laws inna the World right now. Uruguay is so much peacefull n sure n have a better life quality level than the rest of SouthAmerica. They have a great cultural level, too.

Last edited: