What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What am I doing wrong??? Re:viton/ptfe 150 mesh screen gaskets

moffatmafia

Every 10th run or so on my mk4c after about a 5 minute soak of the material when I open the dump valve the screen rips and the collection pot fills with the material. Terppextrators said it could be void space in the column but also that they have never seen this happen to a gasket like that.

prune

Veteran
over-packing or over pressure, probably the second. do you have a gauge on your column?

killa12345

Personally i like to leave a piece of paper crumbled up in the tubes before i place my filter paper...This gives me like a 1" gap after im done packing. i remove the paper before my runs, so there is a gap between the filter paper and the viton screened gaskets. Its allow for the material expansion or just give a little space for the material to move on the intial pressure from adding gas.

Ive seen this before

moffatmafia

This has been crazy furstrating and is still happening, no I don't have a a gauge on the column. It's like there is an airbubble trapped somewhere and it pops while it's equalizing. Maybe just don't open the dump vavle all the way?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It sounds like your opening the ball valve too quickly after the soak.
A 1 to 2 minute soak causes pressure in my system to reach about 30-40psi while the collection pot is sitting at a near perfect vac for my elevation (7K ft).

I’ve not run my system enough yet to experience anything even close. I have noticed, however, that the viton screen gasket get damaged more & more each time I tighten the clamps down. Not the seal ridge but where the gasket is actually surrounding the screen (inside the ridge).

I’m wondering what the life expectancy of these seals are? Using High pressure clamps versus standard pressure clamps?

moffatmafia

I usually do about 4 and half minute soak. So that could definitely be the issue. Was considering not soaking and just leaving the dump valve open while spraying gas more like passive recovery. How would that affect yield tho?? I'd rather lose a little then keep blowing out screens tho

justintime420

Dumb question but sometimes over looked are you opening the number 2 or liquid line to release pressure from the top before opening the dump valve to prevent such an aggressive dump?

gumby420

only time I've had that happen were with really really shitty screen gasket from OSS. luckily I have like 3 more screens under my filter stack so it doesn't really matter. were they Terpp gaskets? Or from a 3rd party? If they are Terpp id say opening the ball valve to quick, if 3rd party it could be the quality.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Open the dump valve slowly or keep your columns colder. You can also vent the pressure using the vent, before opening the dump valve.

moffatmafia

Dumb question but sometimes over looked are you opening the number 2 or liquid line to release pressure from the top before opening the dump valve to prevent such an aggressive dump?

No I am not, It won't draw the BHO through that line , just pressure?? I like fell into a situation and I have a very basic knowledge , I went to the class at Terpp, and they were helpful. But didn't have the answers I needed.

moffatmafia

Open the dump valve slowly or keep your columns colder. You can also vent the pressure using the vent, before opening the dump valve.

!!!!! Thank you. Man you guys are great I was wary of posting such a basic question but you guys are awesome !!! Thanks again!!!

moffatmafia

only time I've had that happen were with really really shitty screen gasket from OSS. luckily I have like 3 more screens under my filter stack so it doesn't really matter. were they Terpp gaskets? Or from a 3rd party? If they are Terpp id say opening the ball valve to quick, if 3rd party it could be the quality.

Word, so I've tried a few different places, Terpp, OSS and best valve you vac. I just don't have 125$ for the ptfe 150 from Terpp ,

gumby420

Word, so I've tried a few different places, Terpp, OSS and best valve you vac. I just don't have 125$ for the ptfe 150 from Terpp ,

as far as equipment quality its for me its been ...terp>xtractordepot>best value> OSS. OSS has by far had the shittiest products. Literally every screen gasket I got was either unusable or leaked.