What's new

Cleaning Closed Loop System

Dabology

what do you guys use to clean your system and does anyone have any tips/tricks to speed the process up i've been taking my system apart and using isopropanol with solvent proof shop rags to clean it but sometimes leaves a little residue

troutman

Seed Whore
The best solvent for cleaning would probably be an overnight methanol soak of the metal parts with a good scrubbing afterwards.

Just make sure you rinse the metal parts with water after to get rid of any methanol traces.

Old Gold

Scrap the isopropanol and methanol. Clean your system with food grade solvents (Class III) because carcinogenic/toxic residuals may still be there when you think it is "dry". Usually for a full cleaning, hit it with the nonpolar solvent you originally used (propane, butane) and that should rinse most of it off. Follow it with alcohol/acetone and then you can use dry N2 and vacuum to speed up the drying process.

prune

Veteran
Sloppy seconds on Old Gold's recommendations!

Anything you use to clean your equipment will show up on your residual tests, and it is amazing how long they persist in your system. Don't use anything you don't want in your body. Rinse that acetone with ethanol and you can still test positive for acetone.

jswick93

Sloppy seconds on Old Gold's recommendations!

Anything you use to clean your equipment will show up on your residual tests, and it is amazing how long they persist in your system. Don't use anything you don't want in your body. Rinse that acetone with ethanol and you can still test positive for acetone.

How can you say anything you use WILL show up? We have cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and have never had any detected. I would say it can show up, but you're probably doing something wrong if so.

All this hype about only using ethanol lately. Can anyone explain why? Between wiping well, drying, pulling a vacuum on it, and then diluting to the extreme, how could using isopropyl be a real issue as a contaminant?

Old Gold

You'd be amazed at the number of labs that give back test results with things like isopropanol, when the processor swears upon never having used it. Proper cleaning can be everything.

prune

Veteran
All this hype about only using ethanol lately. Can anyone explain why? Between wiping well, drying, pulling a vacuum on it, and then diluting to the extreme, how could using isopropyl be a real issue as a contaminant?

well, let's play a game. on this page I've seen isopropyl, methanol, acetone, limonene, and ethanol listed as cleaning agents. why don't you down a shot of each and dispel all the "hype" with some down-home raw experience.

jswick93

well, let's play a game. on this page I've seen isopropyl, methanol, acetone, limonene, and ethanol listed as cleaning agents. why don't you down a shot of each and dispel all the "hype" with some down-home raw experience.

Im just saying that isn't a fair way to figure out whether its safe to use as a cleaning agent, and also doesn't answer the question of whether or not it would be gone. From a scientific standpoint, 0 ppm means none detectable. So I am simply arguing that there is such a thing as proper use with chemicals such as isopropyl alcohol and that comtamination is avoidable. There may be safer alternatives for ingestion, but as far as our end product is concerned there may be no difference in safety.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what do you guys use to clean your system and does anyone have any tips/tricks to speed the process up i've been taking my system apart and using isopropanol with solvent proof shop rags to clean it but sometimes leaves a little residue

Most of our plumbing is fixed in place, so we flush it with clean LPG.

The columns and pots, as well as the remove and clean components are cleaned in ethanol.

Any Class III solvent should work, if you subsequently remove it to within FDA guidelines.

I too have seen lab analysis showing Iso when none had been used in the process, and believe in some of those cases it was contamination from the lab.

If you are leaving a film, you might see if it wipes off with fresh solvent and clean rag.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting beginning to a much needed conversation. Especially after reading of a couple folks that rarely to never clean their equipment.

Aside from solvents, there can be other types of physical contamination that can be seen with equipment cleaning. I’m specifically speaking about residuals left behind by the cloth used, in this case.

I’ve only made a couple runs w my new Apollo system from BVV & have noticed that when drying there are lint particles left over. I’ve been diligent about blowing out what I can & wiping w a dry paper towel to remove as much lint as possible but it seems like it’s nearly impossible to remove all the lint. So my question has become,...

What are y’all using for lint free wipes?
OR
What is your method for 100% lint removal?

I’ve been looking at cleanroom wipes but they seem kind of pricey.
I’ve tried the blue paper shop towels & the white ones. Neither are satisfactory to me. Regular paper towels seem to work better & they provide a bit of scrubbing power.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting beginning to a much needed conversation. Especially after reading of a couple folks that rarely to never clean their equipment.

Aside from solvents, there can be other types of physical contamination that can be seen with equipment cleaning. I’m specifically speaking about residuals left behind by the cloth used, in this case.

I’ve only made a couple runs w my new Apollo system from BVV & have noticed that when drying there are lint particles left over. I’ve been diligent about blowing out what I can & wiping w a dry paper towel to remove as much lint as possible but it seems like it’s nearly impossible to remove all the lint. So my question has become,...

OR

I’ve tried the blue paper shop towels & the white ones. Neither are satisfactory to me. Regular paper towels seem to work better & they provide a bit of scrubbing power.

Regular paper towels.

killa12345

OR

After cleaning with limonene and a paper towel. Once everything drys....i blow the shit out of all my pots upside down with my air compressor at like 125psi. I hate seeing lint and this usually does good at removing whats left.

gumby420

acetone works great, cleans everything really easy and evaporates super fast. we've never had any acetone show up in our residuals.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the comments y’all.

After cleaning with limonene and a paper towel. Once everything drys....i blow the shit out of all my pots upside down with my air compressor at like 125psi. I hate seeing lint and this usually does good at removing whats left.

Just curious...
How do you like lemonene as a cleaner?
Any residuals when done?

killa12345

Thanks for the comments y’all.

Just curious...
How do you like lemonene as a cleaner?
Any residuals when done?

D-limonene is a citrus cleaner and not that i know of. I just do this for personal shit so none of it goes to testing. Its really my last step....typically i clean my extractor with ethanol first...recover it for a later processing date. Then either hit it with another solvent to clean it like d-limonene.

I personally just thought this was that orange clean shit people use to sell years ago. Works good.....doesn't leave any residue. Id imagine since its food grade and kosher....it doesnt matter if any residue comes back in my concentrates.

Latest posts

Latest posts