What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 gallon or 5 gallon smart pots?

Anyone have results they can share from using 3 gallon versus 5 gallon smart pots? I am using 100% canna coco, no perlite.
I have 4 plants that are in 1 gallons and roots just started to poke through so its about time for me to transplant, would you go to 3's or would you go to 5's? I will be watering once a day, maybe twice a day if they need it but in my last grow..I used 5 gallons and watered every day...seemed kinda overkill but maybe I'm wrong...

I've tried to do a little research on the issue and people are saying that yield difference wont really be very noticeable between the two sizes and I read some stuff about not needing as large of a pot for coco so im curious as to what you guys think....

thanks for the help!

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
2 gal is ideal. You want the roots to air prune themselves when they pierce the fabric. You want to feed multiple times per day. You want the hydro effects. My plants in 2s aren't bushy but they are over 7' tall in 2 gal fabric. Most people on here say 2 gal is ideal size.

Exactly as Stoned40 said, you want to feed multiple times daily. Don't go with 5g in coco. Waste of coco and at that point you are treating it like soil.

What type of system do you have for watering?

touringfunkband

I started with 3 gallon smart pots using canna coco and slimmed down to the 2 gallon. I like the routine of hand watering once a day to keep my eye on the plants. I use a lot less nutrients obviously and have a better root structure feeding once daily in smaller pots.

I use 2 gallon fabric pots. Fed once a day for 1 minute.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 9
It depends on how big ur looking to grow ur plants... How many u are trying to do per light

Thanks for all the responses everyone,
I have a 4x4 tent with a 1000w light, Looking to flower 4 total under that light, growing them out big in veg and will scrog them out once I put them in the tent. I have a drip system (drip to waste) setup with three drippers per pot (plants are in 1 gal smart pots currently) and roots have poked through on all 4 so its time for a transplant, I bought (4) 3 gal smart pots that i think i'm gonna go with and feed once a day, If i were to use 2 gal's, i would definitely go with multiple feedings a day. Just good to know that 5 gallons is not necessary and I can save a little on coco.

May downsize to two gallon like you all are saying, my plants in veg are pretty large already, ill get some pictures uploaded, this may be a silly question but could you cover a 4x4 canopy with 4 plants in 2 gal pots or would you usually have more than 4 plants since the size of the pots are so tiny...does it matter? thanks for the info folks.

Grid Xeon

May downsize to two gallon like you all are saying, my plants in veg are pretty large already, ill get some pictures uploaded, this may be a silly question but could you cover a 4x4 canopy with 4 plants in 2 gal pots or would you usually have more than 4 plants since the size of the pots are so tiny...does it matter? thanks for the info folks.

you can easily cover that space with 4 plants in those size pots. it is possible to do it with less.