What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EzCloner 128 rotting stems?

420Stylez

I have a EzCloner 128.. for the last couple of runs ive had slimey rotting stems... I cleaned with bleach and scrubbed the tub along with the pump and the manifold... I filled it and a week later the stems are rotting again... can someone please help me figure this out? much appreciation... PEACE...

Ganja Maker

Type brown slime in the search box, and there are a few threads that will pop up that I think will be a help to you.

Redbuddz

We need more info to help you. what solutions are you running in the cloner? what temps? Are you re-using anything that may be contaminating the cuttings? Areyo usng rooting gel? maybe it's bad?

420Stylez

I used to run plain water with a ph of 7.5-8.0... I would have this issue with heat so I started putting 3 frozen 2 liters in the cloner res twice a day.that solved the problem... then this time I put the last of my clonex in there after a thurough cleaning. I use different blades with each strain when I take cuttings. no rooting gel or powder.

I searched the brown slime and non if it looks like what I have.. those had roots.. this leaves limp stems and brown end on the cuttings..

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
I know what you're talking about I think snype had a thread about it ...I dumped my ez cloner years ago because of the same issues.

420Stylez

thanks for the info. what I am seeing in the threads is NOT what I am seeing in my cloner... ill take some pics and post them shortly... PEACE

I have the brown slime in my EZ-120 as well. After several successful runs I can't clone any more. They all eventually wilt and get brown slime with small black dots in the xylem.

It should work. I've bleached, boiled all the inserts then bought new ones, hooked it to a water chiller @73*, used H2o2 or calcium hypochlorite solution, but nothing helps!

I'm definitely going to another method next time.

420Stylez

I have resorted back to the peat pellets to get things going again... I hate that im 4 weeks behind schedule atm but hopefully between the clonex gels and the green light powder I have things will get rolling again... PEACE...

jefe noche

I run a ph of 5.7 and Botanicare Silica Blast and KLN in my 60 site cloner. Filtered water of course. R/O water. Temps flux. from 75 to 85ish at the res. and never had an issue. I believe the lower ph and Silica get me cleaner h2o and faster roots. 9 days. Hope this can help my friend!!

Scrappy-doo

Clear Rez will fix the problem. Kinda expensive, like $20 a bottle. Theres a thread on here to make your own. That's what I use, cheap and effective.

You also may want to pick up some new pucks. After a while they don't block out light as well so algae grows.

420Stylez

I just purchased the cloner at the beginning of summer.. its still a fairly new unit... is clear rez a hydro store product?

Scrappy-doo

Clear Rez is made by EZ Cloner. It sterilizes the water. The main ingredient is calcium hypochlorite which is essentially pool cleaner. You can go to the pool store and get a lifetime supply for $5, you just have to mix it. I'll see if I can pull the thread up.

The hydro shop sells it for $20 a bottle, which should last you a few months at least.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I have a magic cloner. $40 DIY using a coleman cooler. I have a perpetual so I run it 24/7/365. Timer 15 on/ 15 off. Temps 72. I cut my clones off with a dirty scissors and stick them in a puck. I change water every month or two, I don't care about the algae growing on top of the pucks. When the white fuzzy mold grows on the stem above the puck then I'll clean it with some bleach. 100% success since day one. People say it shouldn't work unless you do this and that and that it will just quit on you. Whatever, I got a magic cloner.:biggrin:

Picarus

Clear rez is highly inflated $ product repackaged for the industry. There are many threads about this. You can make clear rez extremely cheaply by diluting pool shock. I think its 1 tsp/gallon water. Search it and you will find the answer. 1oz solution for every 5 gallons water. So the 128 about 2.5 oz every 4 days or so. Warm water(80), cooler air (76).

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I just fired my cloner back up as the last 2 months are usually 2 warm where i am and that rot is common for me then.

it's still pretty warm out and I had roots very fast. I use 2 drops of bleach per gallon when I fill mine.
in between cycles I scrub the hell out of the inside of the pucks where they are cut with soap.
then they go inside the scrubbed unit and I run it all night with lots of bleach and a little soap and hot water.
plastic on top to cover holes and keep the water in.

don't forget to take the pump apart and clean the filter too.

I have a EzCloner 128.. for the last couple of runs ive had slimey rotting stems... I cleaned with bleach and scrubbed the tub along with the pump and the manifold... I filled it and a week later the stems are rotting again... can someone please help me figure this out? much appreciation... PEACE...

Do you have high temps in the room where you grow or/and live in a hot ass climate ?

Go get a bunch of water bottles and fill them up with tap water and freeze them and put them in a few at a time to keep the water temps down.i do this with my ez clone 30 if you have a 128 i would be freezing 2 liters soda bottles of water and putting in a few at a time every few hours.I lived in desert and had trouble with this then bought water temps down and clockwork bro.Try this.replace the water bottles cause they will melt so use a bunch at a time. use some rhizotonic bro also. but bring the actual water temps DOWN!!