What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Happiness is..... a good book

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I don't see where you mean that I edited in this thread but I do it all the time.
I am OCD with spelling, grammar, punctuation ...maybe that was the reason.
Maybe I just felt like it.
Who knows.
We are all oddballs around here, so no need to 'break 'em'.
yes, I am a member in good standing.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
If on cannabis, only a clear cerebral sativa will allow me to comprehend what I've just read. Otherwise on indicas and blends I've got to start over again and again :|

i never made that connection before
but yes,
there are times where you are reading along and realize
that you have no idea what the last 3 pages were about.
you go back and read it again.
it sounds familiar but it never sunk in.
always thought it was my short attention span.

i usually lay the glasses down on the bedside table and have a nap at that point. ;)

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Hey Jahnice, I was in Amsterdam back in the '90s also... and bumped into W Burroughs at the Abraxas back when it was a small place...

He was at the corner table, and the budtender told me no one would go near him, he was weird. I took a look and said to myself that's William Burroughs! What a character with that hat!!! He was weird. He smelled. I rolled a big joint of Orange Bud and lit it. Passes it to him, and I never got it back. had to roll another... We sat there reading our International Herald Tribunes... until he started complaining about the coffee... and I had an appointment with Jorge so I reluctantly took off... he didn't seem like he wanted to talk.

I later read he was there for a conference with Leary, Hoffman et.al. and I could have gone to hear him speak that day...

Anyway... have you got Jorge's new book yet?

It's awesome!

The Cannabis Encyclopedia... I will write a review.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
Wow Payaso, that sounds like quite a treat.
Can't believe he didn't give the joint back.
Can believe he smelled.
most people would have thought he was a homeless guy.

I just found Jorge's website last night but I didn't see any info about the new book.
I look forward to 'the Cannabis Encyclopedia' and your review.
Keep us in the library informed:)

edit-found it on www.amazon.com
released on april 20, 2015

Last edited:

DickAnubis

Burroughs was an American treasure, the beat generation's guru and literary Enfant terrible'. I once shook his hand backstage at a Laurie Anderson concert at the Beacon theater in New York. He didn;t say anything but stared at me until my skeleton wanted to escape my skin.

Speaking of Hunter S. Thompson I keep him near my writing desk.
30dJkN4.jpg

The glass lens is picking up some reflection but Hunter is made up entirly of words from one of his works. It was made by a Texan artist. He no longer does word portraits. His name is Kenneth Rongear.
Tiny Salvador Dali always keep watch over me. The landscape above Hunter's head was a reject from L.'s studio so I swiped it.

I love books and read an average of 100- 120 a year. Even at that rate if I live another thirty years without loosing my marbles I'll only finish another 3000 - 3600 tomes. I want more!!
Oh well.
Here's a couple of pics of our partial library.
97u10lJ.jpg

The painting and Dali and the ceramic box are by L.

MMOa7fS.jpg

My writing desk.

This represents a small portion of our total ibrary which is overtaking the house. Time to move soon.

For the Beat generation I reccomend William Gaddis. He was a contemporary with BUrroughs, Kerouac, Corso et. al. But he worked quietly alone producing a book every fifteen years of so.
I suggest JR or Recognitions. These are not easy books to read. JR is entirely dialog without telling you who is speaking. You just have to flow with it. But the reward is an amzing story of a young boy who corners the stock market in the '70s.

If you like historical fiction read The Confabulist by Steven Galloway. Harry Houdini is the protagonist in a world of spies and assasins. A delightful read.

Meanwhile I'm going to find this "Cannabis Encyclopedia"

Peace and light
DA

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
'coo coo coo roo coo coo
its cold outside
awrooo'
Laurie Anderson,

i saw her in detroit at the masonic temple in the early 90's.
freaking amazing evening.

i cant imagine any book being more of a 'tough read' than Naked Lunch (Burroughs)
cocaine, heroin and morphine were his drugs of choice and it shows on the page.

Last edited:

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
:biggrin:you just turned me on............ to the wonderful world of free ebooks!

Yippeeee,

Last edited:

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
:biggrin:i ordered Jorge's Cannabis Encyclopedia a few weeks ago and it should arrive in the middle of June.

edit- 'the new phone book is here...the new phone book is here!' Steve Martin, The Jerk

it just arrived:woohoo:

Last edited:

highsteppa

Veteran
i cant imagine any book being more of a 'tough read' than Naked Lunch (Burroughs)
cocaine, heroin and morphine were his drugs of choice and it shows on the page.

Agreed, granted its been 20+ years since i read it but remember it the same way...all over the place lacking any of the inspiration that I found in on the road/desolation angels as a lad.

I was reading the Plague but it was killing me..I started crime and punishment recently and its good but but found an old copy of Huckleberry Finn and that bumped it off for the time being. got me laughng out loud :biggrin:

geneva_sativa

If you can find a copy and have not read it yet, Milagro Beanfield War,

really fun book, also found myself laughing out loud many times.

He takes time building it up, but once it kicks in, is really a whirlwind, you feel you are right there with them

I can't ever stop reading I'm right up there with you DickAnubis in frequency.
My favorite so far this year: The Magus by John Fowles

Light in August by William Faulkner
Shadow country - Peter Mathiesson
^good southern US fiction

The snow leopard - Peter Mathiesson - loved this one so much I read it twice. Can't recommend it enough. The quote by Carl Jung sent shivers up my spine...head exploded and all that. The descriptions of the sherpas and porters I try to remember daily.

I love Burroughs as a writer the cut up method is fun to read and write with. Sometimes there's just no other way to describe it. I read Nova Express recently and think this one is my favorite of his. Remember I was carbon dioxide, meester william...

Last edited:

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
I am a reader also, in the moment I´ve got holidays and startet yesterday "World War Z" from Max Brooks, it´s better than the movie, completly different. A quick read.
Just finished "Cartel" from Don Winslow, I like Don Winslow!
Sometimes I read philosphers, last one was Schopenhauer, don´t know the english title it was about the human ages and "stages".

Godthanks that I was born in a time where reading was noting special. (Don´t know how to say better.)

My most favored writer is Ernst Juenger, he was the highest decorated soldier in the 1st world war in Germany, wounded more than a dozend times. Friend of Albert Hoffman who invented LSD. He was 104 years as he died 1998.

My Little Juenger collection

picture.php

picture.php

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
If my house is on fire, after saving the Juenger books, second i would save my Walter Kempowski "Echolot" books.

From wiki,:

In 2005 he finished his enormous oeuvre Das Echolot, a collection and collage of documents by people of any kind living in the circumstances of war. Das Echolot consists of thousands of personal documents, letters, newspaper reports, and unpublished autobiographies that had been collected by the author over a period of more than twenty years. The documents are now deposited in the archive of the Academy of Arts in Berlin. Das Echolot was partially translated into English under the title Swansong.

picture.php

sprinkl

Veteran
The only book I managed to finish in the last 10 years is Crapule De Luxe, from an ex-military officer that throws a different light on several stories. Reads like a factual thriller. Some would call it conspiracy theories, but I'm sure there's more truth in it than the official versions. I've been looking but it seems like it hasn't been translated in English yet. If you ever learn Dutch do read this one :)

Currently trying to get through "Ham on rye" by C. Bukowski.
Next in line is 1984 by G. Orwell.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
Currently trying to get through "Ham on rye" by C. Bukowski.
Next in line is 1984 by G. Orwell.

1984 was required reading for me and i am really glad about that.
still one of my favourite books with concepts that will haunt you when you realize that they are real.

nice book shelves Herman-dont forget to save your wife in the fire too:laughing:

kaochiu

Veteran
This one is a gem, what you call an unique book. It was written a couple hundred years ago, but it could be written in a couple hundred years ahead. The author, Jan Potocki, would be a character himself, google him up if interested.
The Manuscript Found in Saragossa.
More than just a reading, a true experience.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 46

Zapadra

John Fante is one of my favourite authors, along with Bukowski and Burroughs. Burroughs' Cities of the Red Night was great, as well as Wild Boys. Some of his best IMO.

lekkerlikker

I got all the 3 big books of buds, the 6 cannabis sativa/indica books from S.T. oner, the cannabible, Dank and the cannabis encyclopedia from Cervantes. Dank 2.0 is in the pipeline.

Latest posts

Latest posts