What's new

Getting the hang of it.

KONY

Veteran
Finally feel like we are getting the hang of it. Open blasted; purged in an across oven for ~ 60 hours, flipped about 12 times total. The camera really doesnt do it justice. But it's a 8 year old canon point n shoot.

P5tK5tC.jpg

pmrBIlW.jpg

Dlf8FVA.jpg

ic

Last edited:

KONY

Veteran
Nice job! Are you purging on parchment or PTFE??

Parchment, although next time I will order a roll of PTFE. Right now we blast onto pyrex, then pour onto parchment to purge in the oven.

We only have enough trim to run every 2-3 months, so the learning process has been a bit slow.

KONY

Veteran
9JJ8W2b.jpg

50Jn9pZ.jpg

vUPMkEt.jpg

nxWD8if.jpg

Really getting the hang of it now. That was purged for about 10 hours at 110ish. Flipped a bunch of times, I didnt count, but every 20mins or so (average)? Less often at the beginning and more towards the end. Would like to get a friend with a better camera to photograph it.

relic1981

Veteran
so its open plasted, what type of tane did you use?
open air purged> at 110 for 60 hours?
how does it taste? i know you said you flip it to retain terps, which i need to look into... the super long purge would seeem to burn off or vape off most of the terps plus oxidization, i vaccume purge in an oven for 24 hours and flip twice and comes out shatter(usually, sometimes pull and snap. ak, master kush, sfv og, blue dream, sd, headband and gg4 snd s few others. i always seperate the trim so i can make oil thats from each seperate strain. (most buyer prefer this here and i think its good to keep them seperated so you can utilize each strains medicinal effects when needed.) for head stash i prefer sugar was and jelly with super high terp level. no terps added back into it though. natural...stoked because soon ill be making hash out of the ogkb 2.0 cut, gluebreath and stink panties.

kudos to you for making sucha beautiful product. is it straight shatter or pull and snap/ gooy or unstable? have you had it tested?
do you ever seperate the strains to see what they offer or always used mixed trim?how fresh is the trim you used for that batch? dorry for all the questions.. again looks great!

KONY

Veteran
so its open plasted, what type of tane did you use?
open air purged> at 110 for 60 hours?
how does it taste? i know you said you flip it to retain terps, which i need to look into... the super long purge would seeem to burn off or vape off most of the terps plus oxidization, i vaccume purge in an oven for 24 hours and flip twice and comes out shatter(usually, sometimes pull and snap. ak, master kush, sfv og, blue dream, sd, headband and gg4 snd s few others. i always seperate the trim so i can make oil thats from each seperate strain. (most buyer prefer this here and i think its good to keep them seperated so you can utilize each strains medicinal effects when needed.) for head stash i prefer sugar was and jelly with super high terp level. no terps added back into it though. natural...stoked because soon ill be making hash out of the ogkb 2.0 cut, gluebreath and stink panties.

kudos to you for making sucha beautiful product. is it straight shatter or pull and snap/ gooy or unstable? have you had it tested?
do you ever seperate the strains to see what they offer or always used mixed trim?how fresh is the trim you used for that batch? dorry for all the questions.. again looks great!

Lucienne(sp). This most recent batch was only purged for about 10 hours total, at 110*F. The last batch (first pictures in this post) we purged for 60, definitely lost some terps from not flipping often enough. Its definitely a learning curve to be able to look at the oil and know when terps are being bubbled off more than butane.

The oil taste pretty good. Id give it a 7/10 for taste? Has a discernible flavor, doesnt taste like generic oil, however Because we don't monocrop currently, it's hard to tell what it really taste like. The trim/popcorn nugs used were a mix of "original bubba kush", stardawg, chemd, strawberry D, shire x swl.

Next step is getting it tasted at the Lab to see if there is any residual solvent left. One place quoted me 40 bucks per test, with a 10% discount for 4 or more. Not really sure how that compares to other labs, or even what to really look for.

edit: It's straight shatter at room temp. If I dont heat the dabber before trying to get some, it goes flying off into space/the ground and is lost forver.
The trim is about 2-7 weeks old, dried slowly at about 65% rh. Id prefer to do it fresher, but we don't have enough plants, normally use 2 rounds for 1 blast. And we chop a round every 5 weeks or so. So by the time we have enough trim to make it worth running the oven to purge, half the trim has been drying/curing for 5 weeks already, the other half is more fresh. Havent noticed that much of a difference when using all fresh, i have a feeling as long as its not really old or excessively dry its probably fine.

Last edited:

Dab Strudel

Lucienne(sp). This most recent batch was only purged for about 10 hours total, at 110*F. The last batch (first pictures in this post) we purged for 60, definitely lost some terps from not flipping often enough. Its definitely a learning curve to be able to look at the oil and know when terps are being bubbled off more than butane.

The oil taste pretty good. Id give it a 7/10 for taste? Has a discernible flavor, doesnt taste like generic oil, however Because we don't monocrop currently, it's hard to tell what it really taste like. The trim/popcorn nugs used were a mix of "original bubba kush", stardawg, chemd, strawberry D, shire x swl.

Next step is getting it tasted at the Lab to see if there is any residual solvent left. One place quoted me 40 bucks per test, with a 10% discount for 4 or more. Not really sure how that compares to other labs, or even what to really look for.

edit: It's straight shatter at room temp. If I dont heat the dabber before trying to get some, it goes flying off into space/the ground and is lost forver.
The trim is about 2-7 weeks old, dried slowly at about 65% rh. Id prefer to do it fresher, but we don't have enough plants, normally use 2 rounds for 1 blast. And we chop a round every 5 weeks or so. So by the time we have enough trim to make it worth running the oven to purge, half the trim has been drying/curing for 5 weeks already, the other half is more fresh. Havent noticed that much of a difference when using all fresh, i have a feeling as long as its not really old or excessively dry its probably fine.

some tips-
60 hrs on such a small batch= Terp Killer. You didnt notice the bubbles stopped after like 40 hrs and you started getting small bubbles (in comparison), the small bubbles may be decarb bubbles.
12 flips = way un necessary. Id stick with flipping once after 2 hrs then once ever 4 hrs and sample it at 36 and 48 hrs. I flip because after 4 hrs of sitting the bubbles that have raised, that havent popped yet, have a chance of losing their temperature and hardening, then when the bubble finally pops when its dry or has been sitting raised up for hours I notice that spot becomes butter. instead of pulling it further after 4 hrs, thus killing terps that are raised to the surface, I let out the vac, flip it or dont (really sappy stuff doesnt get flipped much), then let it sit in the vac for a half hr to redistribute itself and get to target temp, then revac to -26ish and do it all over again. Plenty of ways to skin a bird, thats my way. Hope it helps

Cannajits

Looking very nice! Going for a longer purge this run through. Never flipped a batch myself, don't have equipment to run comparison tests to see which process yields what results, only the word of others.

Some great snaps of the end result. thanks!

Cannajits

Here is an example of getting what you pay for. Color is affected by the old trim/leaf used as material and less than meticulous ATD results in flakes in the puddle. Obviously not going to win any awards, or make it on any shelves... save a medicine cabinet. The beauty of small batch bho eh?

Cannajits

That's 3 hrs of purge, after a clean up and a few more hours I'll do some follow ups. Gonna push 10 hours with this one and compare look and consistencies. May be next time try samples at 3, 9 and 12 hours. Ever done something like that?