What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best way to scrape after recovery?

brunt

I'm wondering what is the best way to scrape my bho after recovery?I would like to get away from the pouring method.I have a 5 pound Bogart system.as I've been reading through the Boggart threads I ran across mention of the wolftek method something to do with a cryo muffin.can anyone elaborate on that?

brunt

Pouring can be a mess and kind of a pain.if you don't leave enough butane in it becomes very sticky and hard to pour if you leave too much you can't go directly on the parchment you have to use Pyrex and then you end up scraping anyway.the five pound Bogart has a large collection pot when pouring i still have a bit of product stuck to the side so l still end up scraping some.not to mention the butane l have to leave in cost me time and money.when I read in another post about the cryo muffin it made me curious is there a way to scrape without causing the foaming and microbubbles that seem to cause auto buttering and waxing

The "cotton candy muffin method" involves pulling a full vacuum on the collection chamber once the run is complete and after the butane has been recovered. Under a full vacuum, the collection chamber is then cooled(dry ice, freezer, whatever is available). Once frozen. you will be able to remove the lid of the chamber and scrape out the frozen cotton candy muffin with ease. It is talked about vaguely here; https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6521790

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The way the cotton candy method works, is that you extract without pot heat, and keep the lower pot under vacuum long enough for the muffin to retain the cotton candy texture when you remove the vacuum.

Stick the lower tank in a deep freeze for thirty minutes or so, and then run a thin spatula blade around the inside perimeter of the tank to separate the muffin from the sides and then pop off the bottom and lift away the outer tube, leaving the muffin sitting on the bottom lid.

Pop the muffin free of the cold bottom with a thin bladed spatula, and process on PTFE film or parchment paper.

JColtrane

The way the cotton candy method works, is that you extract without pot heat, and keep the lower pot under vacuum long enough for the muffin to retain the cotton candy texture when you remove the vacuum.

Stick the lower tank in a deep freeze for thirty minutes or so, and then run a thin spatula blade around the inside perimeter of the tank to separate the muffin from the sides and then pop off the bottom and lift away the outer tube, leaving the muffin sitting on the bottom lid.

Pop the muffin free of the cold bottom with a thin bladed spatula, and process on PTFE film or parchment paper.

I have re-named this tek "Wolf Tek" and have been practicing/teaching this Tek for a while. I prefer to break the cryo muffin top into a dust while in the chamber and pour dust onto PTFE film.

Everyone what's a thin film when they purge, bubble's are the thinest film's I can make ... how about you??? :tiphat:

Last edited:

DragonMack

In this case I believe GW means not heating in a bath at like 80F+ degrees. You still need to utilize a method to keep the pot from freezing to keep the butane gassing off. Otherwise you are correct, the process comes to a halt. I dip mine in and out of a water bath at 60F to keep recovery pot temperatures from getting too low.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Even an active system with a recovery pump will come to a halt if the recovery pot gets to freezing temperatures.

No, just goes slow...

Ive actually NEVER heated the water around my recovery pot and use water out the hose. Sometimes ill even have a big ol ice cube on the bottom of my pot, but it still recovers...

DragonMack

No, just goes slow...

Ive actually NEVER heated the water around my recovery pot and use water out the hose. Sometimes ill even have a big ol ice cube on the bottom of my pot, but it still recovers...

Well actually it goes really really really realy slow and is stressfull on your recovery pump.
:drum:

I recommend adding enough heat to keep from forming "ice cubes" on your recovery pot, unless your ice maker is broken or you enjoy waiting unnecessarily.
It will only effect the end product if you add excessive heat.

icdog

GW just to clarify this, you pull to -22 with the recovery pump, then to -29ish with the vac pump. when you say long enough to retain the texture how do you know this is happening?
Do you put the tank in the deep freeze while it is still under vac?

Do you purge the muffin as normal?
What are the benefits of this method?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wouldn't extracting without heat grind the recovery process to a halt?

As others have noted, it is slower when you don't put your recovery pot in a water bath, except to occasionally melt away the ice, so that you can see at what level it reforms.

You still only recover to -22" Hg with the recovery pump, and the rest of the way to hold the candy in place, using the high vacuum pump.

It does however produce a cotton candy texture, which greatly increases its surface area for the solvent to escape, so requires minimal purging afterwards. As JC notes, a bubble film is about as thin a film as you can achieve for the purposes of purging.

It also easily turns to dust when frozen, which as JC points out, is easy to transfer.

Attachments

• 85F extraction-1-1.jpg
    85F extraction-1-1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Mk V second run.jpg
    Mk V second run.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 14
So if understand the cotton candy method correctly, once you have cleared the collection tank and poured the dust onto your processing sheets, you would then continue with a normal vacuum purge procedure?

POWER to the FLOWER!​

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW just to clarify this, you pull to -22 with the recovery pump, then to -29ish with the vac pump.
Yes.
when you say long enough to retain the texture how do you know this is happening?

~30 minutes. Blind faith or a sight glass.

Do you put the tank in the deep freeze while it is still under vac?

No, I only stick the tank shell and bottom in the freezer.

Do you purge the muffin as normal?

Yes. I had hoped it wouldn't be necessary, but after placing some on a sheet and heating it to 115F under vacuum, it was clear that some solvent remained.

What are the benefits of this method?

As part of the over all process, it produces an light colored aromatic shatter, with minimal after processing.

Easy to get out with virtually no scrapping, and easy to handle for subsequent processing, whether shatter or wax.

Doesn't scrape up your stainless and deposit the filings in your meds.

If we are making oral oil, we simply wash the material out of the pot with hot EtOH and stick that in the freezer for winterizing.

JColtrane

So if understand the cotton candy method correctly, once you have cleared the collection tank and poured the dust onto your processing sheets, you would then continue with a normal vacuum purge procedure?

POWER to the FLOWER!​

Yup ... I melt down bubble dust in oven with no vac. Once viscous, I'll start my normal purge process.