What's new

PH Down

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Sure - or you could use vinegar - or citric acid - or you could just go buy some pH down.

Pine

driska

i will ask in this thread!
i fertilizer every 2-3 days with the Hesi Bloom and greensensation. is better to fertilizer every other watering or fertilizing can add any watering

V

vonforne

If you use citric acid as Pine suggested it will also aid in the conversion of P so it is readily available for the plants. And it lasts longer than lemon juice.

V

driska

I've also heard of! lemon juice is therefore suitable if it is mixed with water and promptly Flooded?
Thanks

I have been using white vinegar for the few grows that i have done. my water is also high in PH 8.5 area but 4-5 drops per gallon of water brings it down nicely to 6.0-6.5 area

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Lemon juice and vinegar are double extra temporary at best. With luck, they may last long enough to drive to the store and come back with some legit pH down.

If you wont use the good stuff because it's the good stuff and works infinitely better, do it because it's infinitely cheaper.

driska

Lemon juice and vinegar are double extra temporary at best. With luck, they may last long enough to drive to the store and come back with some legit pH down.

If you wont use the good stuff because it's the good stuff and works infinitely better, do it because it's infinitely cheaper.

I alweys use good stuf but when i think........why the hell i wil buy some marketing bullshit for Ph down if we can fix ph with stuff we have at home, and probably work the same!
so i put ph down with lemon but when i mixed with water i water immediately

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
why the hell i wil buy some marketing bullshit for Ph down if we can fix ph with stuff we have at home, and probably work the same!
so i put ph down with lemon but when i mixed with water i water immediately
Because with a quality pH down... it's not bullshit.

Doesn't matter whether you water right away or not... the pH buffering of lemon juice/vinegar is gone... long before your root zone requires it to be.

Use a quality citric acid or quality hydro pH down product (AN works great and is SUPER concentrated so you save money). You and your plants will thank you.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Slimm

Citric acid is also more consistent concentration whereas the acidity of lemon juice and vinegar can vary so you can't predetermine application rates with those.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
why the hell i wil buy some marketing bullshit for Ph down if we can fix ph with stuff we have at home

How badly do you need to "stick it to the man?" It takes a tablespoon of vinegar to do the work of a drop of pH down. It will take several tablespoons to last as long as a drop of pH down.

pH down is astronomically cheaper. Compared to vinegar it's almost free. There are many reasons to mistrust Madison Ave. This isn't one of them.

driska

Ok so i am hear enough! i will buy PH down or citric acid. Probably cost me alot more if i go on with lemon:)
Yust one information i need:
Hidro-Soil you say "the pH buffering of lemon juice/vinegar is gone... long before your root zone requires it to be", so i feared this! i have ph water 6.8, but when the rots get this water PH is already higher? If i start with citric or PH down and set on 6.8 can be a stress for the plants?

krompir

Driska (haha what a nick :) ) , i use lime juice or lime concentrat and it works ok for me, bether then vinegar. I need to add about 5ml to 1 liter of water to lower my PH from 8 to 6.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Ok so i am hear enough! i will buy PH down or citric acid. Probably cost me alot more if i go on with lemon:)

I've never bought pH down, but I can tell you that citric acid is very cheap - like $1.50 for a bottle of powder that will last forever. I bought mine at a beer and wine making store.

Pine

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you buy citric acid powder (which is what i use because it's also ok for organic) mix a tablespoon of the powder with a pint of water and then put the solution in a bottle. now a tablespoon or two of this should lower the pH of a can of water to the right level. be sure to check it with a pH pen if you can and also remember that if you are adding liquid nutes it will also affect you pH so add them before you pH your water.

VG

driska

i was buy today citric acit but they didnt have the powder only grains! but looks good, few grams mybe only 1 for 3galons of water and PH is down from 8.5 to 6.6. So i was mix few hours away and i was measured with meter after few hours and PH is still the same

Latest posts

Latest posts