What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sea 90 Minerals As Hydro Nutrient: Anybody Have Experience?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read about it several years back, and tried it to bad results. No doubt pilot error

Just bought 20 pounds to remineralize my yard/lawn and to take internally

But my question is: Does anyone have success and what is the ratio also do you add CaMg?

thanks

zeke99

https://seaagri.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Application_Instructions_4-15-15.pdf

picture.php

My understanding is that it's not marketed as a standalone hydroponics product. It's marketed as something to use in addition to your regular fertilizer.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
CD, Good 411!

Ill have to order NPK N and Ca before I begin next grow

Do you think I can use it by itself during the last ~ 2 weeks of bloom

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The pdf clearly lists what's in it. The recommendations are useful like any other mfg's recommendations, you start with 1/4 and work from there. As you're aware, cannabis is a light feeder.

Pick a nutrient mix and see what adding Sea-90 does to the numbers. Is it close to what you consider a balanced mix for your genetics? Use your standard mix first, if any. You're going to harvest the most useful information if you do a control experiment, using what you already use and are familiar with. Any other approach is pretty much guessing.

Anyone who's used it is going to tell you the same, or should anyway. :)

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The pdf clearly lists what's in it. The recommendations are useful like any other mfg's recommendations, you start with 1/4 and work from there. As you're aware, cannabis is a light feeder.

Pick a nutrient mix and see what adding Sea-90 does to the numbers. Is it close to what you consider a balanced mix for your genetics? Use your standard mix first, if any. You're going to harvest the most useful information if you do a control experiment, using what you already use and are familiar with. Any other approach is pretty much guessing.

Anyone who's used it is going to tell you the same, or should anyway. :)

from your first response, it sounded like you are experienced with it

Seems like using SEA 90 sea minerals +adding NPK Industries RAW silica, Yucca, N, C, and in bloom adding P & K could bring home a stellar crop, but how much better than just using NPK RAW premixed veg and bloom would take testing

I used both NPK premixed this grow but Fd up not realizing they were completely balanced and therefor I added more; silica, kelp, humic acid throwing the balance off

So, I do want to start my next grow using just the NPK premixes.

I bought the SEA 90 for my lawn and personal use, plus to eventually try it for cannabis, as it would save a lot of money

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Sea90 contains all 90+ naturally occurring elements, compared to Azomite and rock dust that has around 60 or so.

5 ml per gallon of water is the rate I use (but I do not grow hydro) for both root feeding and foliar feeding.

For lawn application, I would not apply it directly from the bag--rather I would make a liquid solution and spray it.

For garden/raised bed application I would spread it dry, work it in then water well.

Hope this helps!

Douglas.Curtis

It really helps to understand "what the product is" and "how this product affects what I have balanced out for my cannabis." It doesn't sound like you know what you're normally feeding your cannabis, nor what this product is actually for.

You're going to have to do some more research with your own methods, unless someone chimes in with the experience you're looking for. I know cannabis well enough to give advice about cannabis. Sea-90 is nothing special. ;) FYI, it's Douglas.Curtis, not Douglas, Curtis. ;)

D3pthCharg3

Use this and comparitive (sea-crop, earth tonic, Him. pink salt) products on both medical and edible garden. Yes, there is a good amount of Mag in these products, but not a lot of Cal. I use them in combination with a natural Cal source such as guano or bone meals. Ag Lime would also work as very low Mag but high Cal source. BTW I LOVE these products. Both drench and foliar. I can tell they work by flavor (I'm a chef), but for empirical data I just purchased a BRIX refractometer, I'll report back on that. Highly recommended for trace elements, which are often foolishly ignored...Help as a foliar with pests and pathogens too, bugs and PM hate it.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
BTW, the mineral content of "Sea90" should be about the same as "sea water".

https://web.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/mineral.html

Magnesium is about 1271 ppm
Calcium is about 400 ppm

And as expected...super high rates of Chloride and Sodium--hence the low rate of 5 ml/gallon for both root and foliar applications.

Here is a pdf that lists the ppms for almost all 90+ naturally occurring elements found in seawater.

https://seaagri.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/seawater.pdf

That's what inside Sea-90...it is not your "normal" NPK-type fertilizer...but then who says "normal" is good? LOL.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
BTW, the mineral content of "Sea90" should be about the same as "sea water".

https://web.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/mineral.html

Magnesium is about 1271 ppm
Calcium is about 400 ppm

And as expected...super high rates of Chloride and Sodium--hence the low rate of 5 ml/gallon for both root and foliar applications.

Here is a pdf that lists the ppms for almost all 90+ naturally occurring elements found in seawater.

https://seaagri.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/seawater.pdf

That's what inside Sea-90...it is not your "normal" NPK-type fertilizer...but then who says "normal" is good? LOL.

It is sea water, minus the salt

rjrom90

Sea 90 does contain sodium chloride. You may be thinking of Sea-Crop which is ocean trace elements with sodium chloride removed. I have used both. In hydro Sea-90 will work great at 5 grams per gallon with reduction of base nutrient by 50%. In soil it's best to do half dosage. Sea Crop does work better as the plants can tolerate a higher dosage of trace elements without the aditional sodium chloride. I use 4 ml per gallon of sea crop to achieve the same trace element dosage as 5 grams per gallon Sea 90. I have gone up to 12 ml per gallon with CO2 supplementation which would be impossible with Sea90 due to high sodium chloride content.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sea 90 does contain sodium chloride. You may be thinking of Sea-Crop which is ocean trace elements with sodium chloride removed. I have used both. In hydro Sea-90 will work great at 5 grams per gallon with reduction of base nutrient by 50%. In soil it's best to do half dosage. Sea Crop does work better as the plants can tolerate a higher dosage of trace elements without the aditional sodium chloride. I use 4 ml per gallon of sea crop to achieve the same trace element dosage as 5 grams per gallon Sea 90. I have gone up to 12 ml per gallon with CO2 supplementation which would be impossible with Sea90 due to high sodium chloride content.

SEA 90 offers both with and without

Note they consistently say minerals NOT SALT https://seaagri.com/products/sea-90-fertilizer/

and here's their salt

https://seaagri.com/products/baja-gold/

Absolem

Douglas.Curtis

mineral salts Inorganic salts that need to be ingested or absorbed by living organisms for healthy growth and maintenance. They comprise the salts of the trace elements in animals (see essential element) and the micronutrients of plants.

Whether it's refined in a lab, or refined by plants, it's the same mineral salts. What you need to be most concerned about is how clean the minerals are. Cannabis is an accumulator plant, capable of absorbing heavy metals and other contaminates. Using pharmaceutical grade, refined salts is one way to ensure your feed is clean enough for cannabis.

Can you say that cow manure (fed who knows what) is as clean as a refined mineral? Not even close. :)

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
These two products are from the exact same source. The Baja Gold salt product has just been filtered for sand and rocks and is finely ground.

They do not look the same, taste the same.

You are wrong.

I actually spoke with them,

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
LOL

Minerals are "salts". "Salts" are a generic term for mineral compounds. They simply removed the NaCl and claimed to leave the "minerals". Since "salt" is a bad term in the cannabis industry they make you think they took out the bad stuff.

I have both Baja Table Salt and SEA 90 Minerals

Yes, they are both MINERALS: that was not the point and you know it, or don't you? So many self-proclaimed geniuses that post on IC.

were you to to put a 1/4 tsp of one then the other in your mouth you would quickly fint that there is a huge difference in saltiness

Latest posts

Latest posts