What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2 out of 10 young plants have weird colors and leaves

MrTonkle

Hey guys for some days now the new growth of 2 of my young plants has been having some weird shaped leaves and this yellow/blue color, its only 2 out of 10 plants, i have 3x blue fire(humboldt) and 1 seems to bw doing fine as u can see in the pics, the others are 1x gorilla zkittles (barneys) 4x G13 haze (barneys) and 2x Black D.O.Gs (humboldt). It started happening about 2 weeks ago when i repotted them and with new more powerful soil (nutrient wise). I had a thought that maybe they were really sensitive and had a N overdose ? It would be kinda weird thought as the others even younger plants are doing fine and thribing in this soil. Another thought was that it was due to PH but i Ph ny water to 6.2-6.7 at every watering. Another thought was that they might be abit dry and thirsty but that would also be weird since 8 of the 10 are in exact same pots with exact same amount of watering. Anyone know whats up ?

Attachments

• 20190318_031914.jpg
    20190318_031914.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190318_031933.jpg
    20190318_031933.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190318_031938.jpg
    20190318_031938.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190318_031954.jpg
    20190318_031954.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190318_032034.jpg
    20190318_032034.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 17

MrTonkle

Pic 1 is all of them, pic 2 bluefire nr1 pic 3 bluefire nr2 pic 4 bluefire nr 3 and lastly is the Gorilla zkittles. All of these 4 plants are germinated at the exact same date. Thanks for any input :tiphat:

soil margin

Veteran
Personally I find young seedlings to be really sensitive to extra nutrients in the soil. Not uncommon at all for them to show weird leaf growth and unusual color. Makes sense they could be showing some changes if you repotted to more powerful soil. It can also even vary among the same strain from one phenotype to another. Some girls can handle their soil mix better than others. They look pretty good to me frankly, I'd probably give them another week or two before I worried about it too much.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'd say keep an eye on it. If the newer growth continues to have that problem it's probably a deficiency. If it stops at that set and the rest of them look normal it's probably genetic. I have a plant growing with leaves that have pale yellow sections, but are otherwise healthy.

troutman

Seed Whore
Sometimes one pot needs more water or nutrients for some reason. :tiphat:

If the leaves are pale it needs more nutrients usually.

MrTonkle

Okay thanks guys, i thought it might also be iron deficiency becaue thats pretty much the only nutrient i didnt add in the mix could that be it ? And in that case what do you recommend to add into the soil for extra iron?

soil margin

Veteran
Azomite or glacial rock dust are the two most common supplements I see people using for minerals like iron. I've never tried adding them to the soil once the plant is growing though, usually pre-mix it in before I start the grow. Gotta be careful you don't overload the soil with stuff that you might have already added.

troutman

Seed Whore
I now use Gaia Greensand for mineral supplementation. A little goes a long way. :)

Gaia Green Greensand is an iron potassium silicate containing 7% potassium (K2O), 20% iron oxide (FeO2), and as many as thirty (30) other elements.

MrTonkle

Azomite or glacial rock dust are the two most common supplements I see people using for minerals like iron. I've never tried adding them to the soil once the plant is growing though, usually pre-mix it in before I start the grow. Gotta be careful you don't overload the soil with stuff that you might have already added.

Thanks thats exactly what im using and been using for this soil mix i made, its volcanic "dust" but not the actual brand like azomite.

Im actually beginning to think i was underwatering them because my previous waterings has been like 100ml of water every 2nd day, but noticed they were dry today even since having their watering yesterday so i decided to give them another 100ml today less than 15 hours later they were just as dry, gave them another 150ml to see if there would be any differance - will check in a few hours when light turna on again. But they really seem to like it and iv never had any runoff, im in a 25% coco coir, 20% perlite(or something like that kepr mixing til it felt nice and good), rest is mainly soil but also some additional peat + the different nutrients additives of course. EDITNR2- the pics was just after the first watering

rattlesnake

Fermented stinging nettle has pretty high amounts of iron in it, and its really easy to make. Just put the leaves in a bucket, fill with water 3/4 and close the lid.

Growing young plants are subject to drought and the stress manifests itself and appears to be nutrient deficiencies (same thing with overwatering). Trust the intuition, and you will find yourself free from the hassles of poor advice and practices found abundantly here and elsewhere online.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
xxpeacepipexx is right about Watering issue, if you let your pH drift, you will get iron lock out.

MrTonkle

Thanks alot guys, as i overwatered my last grow that had a very bad clay/peat soil i was being very careful this time :tiphat:.

Peacepipe i like that, iv had some sucessful grows some years ago when i was younger and much more enthusiastic with the growing i mean i still am but most of the time i believe you just have to be patient and observant when growing, myself like to learn by trial and error even if it takes some extra time cause i think it gives a deeper understanding :tiphat: