What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alternative Power Sources

PDX Dopesmoker

Would it be possible to grow pot plants using accelerated particles, such as in a cathode ray, as the power source for photosynthesis in lieu of photons?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Put a plant in front of your tv and find out.

You've probably got an LED/LCD set though.

I'd guess that those things won't produce the energy you need to effectively create photosynthesis.

Or do you already have a product in mind?

PDX Dopesmoker

I don't think that necessarily a cathode ray would be the thing to work, given that they operate better in a vacuum where the plants can't breathe.
What go me wondering about using a substitute particle for the photon was I was reading about the quantum mechanical nature of how plants eat photons and then I remembered that particles scattered by cosmic rays can behave like photon when interacting with light sensitive materials such as CCD cameras and it dawned on me that given the very fundamental nature of whats going on when a photon of the appropriate momentum strikes a molecule, it shouldn't make much difference at all what the source of the momentum is from the molecule's perspective so I'm guessing that a plant would be tricked by a particle of the correct momentum just like a camera would be because they both operate on the principle of quantum mechanical interactions.
Then I remembered last spring I was reading about how electromagnetic fields seem to instigate further growth in plants and I was wondering if the magnets affect growth by capturing charged particles from the atmosphere and slamming them into the plants.
From all that I got this idea to shoot particles at plants in lieu of using photons, but I haven't thought up a way to go about doing it yet.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
What about using tubes from a rear projection tv? You can get the TVs for free on garbage day.

You'll get a fresnel lens as a bonus to give your garden plants supplemental lighting or to light your doobie :)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WOW!
That sounds a bit over my head... lol

I've read of an experiment where plants were grown normally in total darkness.
I haven't attempted to replicate the experiment but maybe somebody else will.
I'm pretty sure it was in the book Secret Life of Plants that I was reading about the experiment.

Basic setup is a growspace minus the light with copper plates attached to on another with a wire through the grow space. 1 plate outside the space to collect and 1 plate inside the space to emit.

PDX Dopesmoker

Its and interesting book, theres a Swedish scientist in there who claims growing his strawberries outdoor in a enhanced magnetic field increased yield and quality in the fruit.
Apparently the book got a lot of unpopular attention from book critics at scientific publications and was branded as unworthy.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Here's something that doesn't look to difficult. Might even be cheap to do. Only 3 watts for the first one, but look bright.

The second one is from a broken LED TV. Look dangerous to play with. lol

[iframe1]VvVN5kHHg0Y[/iframe1]

I'd give the one with strips a shot at it.