What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We need a Consumers Report entity for seeds

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
First off I want to thank everyone for the input.
Aridbud, I like your suggestion and approach. The chart with categories and rating scale would do the trick.
Weird, Did you document your 2013 concept on here. I'd love to look it over.
Tycho, Yes you are correct that only rates the seller of seeds , not the seeds themselves.

I sit here pondering the dilemma , Do I accept the reduction in yield for the autos, or do I revert back to fem seeds and top them during veg and get plants twice as tall and large.

There are just too fucking many seed options out there to roll the dice on. I could read every grow report on this site, but that leaves me no time for golf, sex, grilling, seeing friends, spending time with my wife, children, friends and grand kids, smoking meats and ganja, vacations in Negril and Colorado, seeing old time rock bands, going to Cardinals games and my second bladder cancer operation.

I do want to shout out to the breeders that have delivered a wonderful seed product that I've grown and the final product properly cured in mason jars buzzed the hell out of me and friends: Thanks Nirvana, Og rascal, and Connosieur genetics. The seeds I purchased from you guys delivered in spades. They were fem seeds in organic soil under two 400 watt lamps( MH and HPS).

If other endeavors keep you going, autos & successive planting is definitely the ticket!

bigAl25

Veteran
Nirvana fem strain seeds that rate an 8 to 10 with no herm tendencies: AK 48, Bubblelicious, Aurora Indica, Jock Horror, Papaya and Blackberry. They all produced ganja loved by everyone who consumed some with me.
Nirvana fem stains that rate a 6 to 8 with no herm tendencies: Blue Mystic and Maui Waui. They were just OK and not outstanding ganja.
Nirvana fem strain that rated around just a 5: Snow white. Plant structure was foxtail type buds but not very strong on effects.
OG Rascal fem strain that rated a 10 with no herm tendencies: Strawberry bubba kush. I do not believe he still creates this strain but it was some of the best ganja I have ever grown and compliments galore from those who I shared it with. 5 years later still asked about by close friends.
Connossuier Genetics fem seed strains that rate a 9 to 10: SSSDH by strawberry cough and White Jones. OJD's strains that I have grown all performed extremely well during veg. flower, and final product with compliments from all who I shared them with.

I wish I could share more positive input on more fem strains but I only grow for personal use and sharing with family and friends. Some of these stains my not still be available, but over the past 10 years none of these have screwed up my seedless ganja small grow, but one breeder who I won't slam did sell me beans that hermied the hell out and seeded my grow for that year. There beans were cheaper and I thought I was saving some money by switching to them. I have never gone back and that was about 5 years ago. If you would like the name of the breeder PM me.

Any other positive experiences from breeders would be appreciated and I do only grow either fems or autos.

troutman

Seed Whore
Just so you all know. Breeder's aren't always 100% at fault when seeds don't germinate.

A seed distributor can also be partly at fault for bad seed germination if the seeds aren't properly stored, etc.

There are boat loads of seeds on the market. It doesn't surprise me some are getting long in the tooth.

Anytime I’ve bought old beans from a seed bank with poor germ rates, I contact the breeder, I usually get a replacement pack.

That being said, I have had to show proof of purchase, because most of the breeders out there aren’t going to give you free packs, but most importantly they don’t want “poor germ rates” being tied up with their livelihood.

Knowing how to pop old beans also helps:tiphat:

Anytime I’ve bought old beans from a seed bank with poor germ rates, I contact the breeder, I usually get a replacement pack.

That being said, I have had to show proof of purchase, because most of the breeders out there aren’t going to give you free packs, but most importantly they don’t want “poor germ rates” being tied up with their livelihood.

Knowing how to pop old beans also helps:tiphat:

Of course I squeal like a stuck pig when my expensive seeds don’t grow.
The last time it was Ace Seeds telling me to fuck off when 0% of their Erdpurts germed.

Easy7

Veteran
It's almost impossible to find good seed. Phenotypes galore. It's hard to just find that good smoke you 'had'. I trip enough that I don't need something too trippy. It takes a lot of research to find what is what. Still, there isn't much data. People keep keepers. They don't usually post how much crap they had to go through to find a keeper.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just so you all know. Breeder's aren't always 100% at fault when seeds don't germinate.

A seed distributor can also be partly at fault for bad seed germination if the seeds aren't properly stored, etc.

A seed purchaser, ie YOU, can be faulted for the exact same thing.

I know I've got a lot of OLD seeds I need to get to.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Killed all the Ace plants in my garden as a result and I’ve pre paid to bad mouth them.
In this corner, 20+ years of genetics bred by actual breeders who travel the world and provide value.
In the opposing corner, some guy who sucks at growing weed.

FIGHT

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What I do (since I've been on here a while) is notice names that continually pop up when someone asks about a specific strain.

Take Blueberry for instance. First "go to" name is obviously DJ Short. Usually followed by whoever created the original Digiberry (I can't remember who). Then you'll get a whole bunch of people naming off ones that you've most likely never head of before getting into an argument about who's is best. But before the arguing occurs 2 that consistently get mentioned are Mosca and Joey Weed.

Another way to kind of get the lay of the land is to look at who consistently places well at Cannabis Cups. There's a breeder out of CO that folks won back to back CCs with his seeds. So I'd say he's probably a good breeder. And the guy who bred Royal Kush out in OR, though he has since shed his mortal coil.

And the last way to just to keep looking (and drooling) through the grow diaries. That's how I latched onto to Bodhi and his seeds. There's a couple of real winners in his selections, and am guessing Angelica is going to do very well in upcoming Cups.

Do this long enough, and you'll start seeing the trends.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

This spring i purchased $500 worth of ancient Strawberry Cough and Trainwreck seed packs. Forgotten bottom of a drawer in a head shop office. I was happy to roll the dice on them. 7 out of 40 seeds germed (I was sweating for a while). I'm super excited about it. Feel like I won the strain lottery :)

Cuts and seeds are on the menu. Woot! :D