What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED lights and RF interference

Plastic

Hello all, been a long, long time.

Got some new led lights and it messes with my plug in AM radio.
A brief check of the site talks about adding filters to the line and even has a link for such posted here.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=301113

However, I'm pretty sure this is for a digital ballast that controls an HID system not a small plug and play led unit.

I don't notice any problems from my vehicle am radio, just my plug in, so the thing is messing with my electric lines. really hoping it isn't turning my house into a beacon.

Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated as I'm new to this led stuff and enjoy the idea of lower watt requirements.

Thanks in advance.

St. Phatty

If you want to understand the Mil Spec side of it, Mil-std-461 & 462 for conducted & radiated emissions.

How about a picture ?

Equipment to scope out RF is a little pricey. Antennas, Spectrum Analyzer, etc.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
If it's leaking EMF your car radio should have picked it up. Since it's adding static on a radio plugged into the same circuit I'll assume there is some sort of ground loop. Have you tried moving the light to a different 3 prong socket and tested it? Honestly, if it's not actually leaking EMF the odds of them finding it from outside the house are slim. I'm not an electrician so take all of this with a huge kosher style grain of salt :)

Plastic

Thank you AgentPothead, it's not affecting anything else that I know of. Land line, internet and cell phone seem fine and I just did that little test based on a few year old post and freaked a bit. Will the paranoia ever end?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I don't really want to wade through 16 pages, but what your talking about is a common mode filter.

If that is enough information, then consider swapping the iec socket for a filtered one, if there is room.

The item was sold in a specific global region. Likely without the relevant certification. Send it back. Or they will continue to make substandard crap. 108w replaces 400w ? get the boot in!

Latest posts

Latest posts