What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Regular seeds worth it?

zif

Veteran
I’ve been thinking about how back when I learned to grow, regular seeds were the only option.

It took me a long time to try ‘all female’ seeds. When I did, I really enjoyed the results, but also could take them or leave them.

It just didn’t make a difference, because I’d learned to work with whatever number of female, male, and other plants came up.

But am I carrying around obsolete baggage? Is the era of regular seeds ending?

If not, I wonder what skills for dealing with males those new growers who learn with female seeds should know...

Or not sometimes you find a diamond out there from a random guy,bag,or freebie so if you got the space to have fun with pop anything

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes - regular seeds.
Although many feminized seeds are stable, there's still a risk due to stressing plant to cause hermies. If you do find a hermaphrodite it's either of the following mistakes can stress a plant to the point it switches gender:

Temperatures that are too high or too low
Wild PH fluctuations
Light leaks
Over-fertilization
Exposure to plant hormones
Improper Watering

zif

Veteran
Some of the cons I have in mind:
  • extra space, supplies, time spent on males
  • opportunity cost of males for low-plant-count legal regimes
  • random number of females per pack
  • may seem harder for novices
  • increased odds of consemilia product, especially at scale
  • encourages clonal propagation - increases odds of 'potato famine' type crop losses
  • encourages clonal propagation - decreases regional variety in taste and effect
  • decreased breeding efficiency
I think these are mostly solvable. But how?

Lots of new growers right now have a four plant limit, if they wish to stay legal. Are regular seeds really better than 'all female' seeds for them?

brookie

4 plant limit "legal" grow hahahaha is this what it has come to ? That is like telling me how many tomato plants I can grow. If I have to grow only 4 plants to be "legal" I would much rather be "illegal".

zif

Veteran
there's still a risk due to stressing plant to cause hermies.

This is not different from regular seeds, is it?

Arguably, breeding with reversed females makes removing stress-induced intersexual traits easier.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
4 plant limit "legal" grow hahahaha is this what it has come to ? That is like telling me how many tomato plants I can grow. If I have to grow only 4 plants to be "legal" I would much rather be "illegal".

No shit! I wouldn't go legal if the cops delivered the seeds to my door. Fuck the system!!! Fuck these stupid laws!

Plant limits are usually based on flowering plants with a more generous amount to veg. I see no cons as a reg seed popper. It really doesn’t take up that much more room. Tip, after I get 2 nodes I put my seedlings in for 24 hour dark. They’ll show sex about 2 1/2 -3 weeks veg.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Plant limits are usually based on flowering plants with a more generous amount to veg. I see no cons as a reg seed popper. It really doesn’t take up that much more room. Tip, after I get 2 nodes I put my seedlings in for 24 hour dark. They’ll show sex about 2 1/2 -3 weeks veg.

Possession
8 (1) Unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited
(e) for an individual to possess more than four cannabis plants that are not budding or flowering

so we can rule out the usually.

If you don't grow indoor, and you end up with a few males, you're fucked until next year. So you have to pop 8 reg seeds, in which case, you're illegal.

I sure wish a couple senators were growers.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is not different from regular seeds, is it?

Arguably, breeding with reversed females makes removing stress-induced intersexual traits easier.

Feminizing messes with Mutha Nature, hence a stress in itself. I've only had 3 regular seeds show their balls towards the end before harvest with regular seeds growing 47 years. To each their own...I find vigor and potency more so w/ regular quality genetics.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I sure wish a couple senators were growers.

Don't hold your breath..

The Senators (state or federal) who toke, aren't going to grow..
They have a connection somewhere and are waiting for the dispensary to open in their state...

How many of them do you think even mow their own lawn, much less, actually grow plants?....

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Ah... but I'm talking about Canadian Senators. Senator Patrick Brazeau was busted for cocaine. lol

And while Rob Ford wasn't a senator, he had his connections. Now his brother is Mayor of Toronto!
picture.php

Kaskadian

Veteran
Ending?

Never.

Some of us don't grow anything else but regular seeds.

I know I'll never grow anything else.

I’m there with ya Brutha. I’ve never bothered with anything but regular seeds and don’t plan on changing that.

I grew “illegally” for the majority of my life so plant counts mean nothing to me. The government has no clue about the needs of patients/growers, feds still pop state legal patients, so why should I respect laws that still don’t guarantee our security? You roll the dice no matter which way you want to look at it. Be safe, be smart, keep your mouth shut, and do what you wanna do guys. :tiphat:

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I think of fems like autoflowers, they have their advantages in a few situations but other than that regular photoperiods reign supreme and will always be here to stay.

G

ganjygav

I've never grown regs. Always fancied trying them just to see of they're better than the fem versions like people claim but if I can only grow four plants I like to know all 4 seeds will be female. That's the only reason I grow fems.
Would be a complete bummer to me if I put in 4 seeds and only 2 were females.
With fems I know I'm getting four female plants that will yield bud. Can anyone tell if the bud they are smoking came from a fem or regular seed anyway? I suspect not.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Ya, getting only 2 plants would suck lemons. But I've been breaking the law for 45 years, so why stop now.

I grow fems to sell and keep me busy. But my personal stash comes from regular seeds I've scooped in my travels.

Spaventa

Veteran
First of all, any great strain that relied on a great father will not translate in a feminised line.

Nevilles Haze is made by crossing A5 with Haze male C. You can't make fem Nevilles Haze - reversing doesn't work the other way. If you buy what GHS sell as Nevilles Haze feminised and if you will see it isn't in the same universe as GHS Nevilles Haze regular from 2006 and before.

Other than that, they are more homogenous. You don't find exceptional, one off mutants, sports or grails. All the elite clone only are from regular seeds you will find.

Latest posts

Latest posts