What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Official Seed Harvest, Storing, Curing, ect. Thread

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
Awesome fucking bud man! I can almost smell and taste it.:smokeit::good:

blackone

Veteran
Nice thread - I subscribed so I can return to it.
Not just people stating what is "true" because someone important told them so (not that this kind of information should be disregarded) but also pictures documenting the results.
Having a good balance is perfect!

jonas@diesel

???? ???????:?9-THC
Veteran
hey UnknownProphet

i just copy/paste this from my NYCD thread... thought it may be usefull over here...

picture.php

some polen pict's under 20x and 400x scope...

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

the small brush is the only tool I use for making seeds!

PS loved that indoor Red D.

:wave:

Honkytonk

OVERGROW-FAQ (http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/32) defunct
Storing Seeds in the fridge...
For uninterrupted long term storage, freezing in a vacuum pack with a dessicant is best. Each time a batch of seeds goes through a freeze/thaw cycle, a few become unviable. For storage lengths of a few years or less, room temperature storage in an airtight container with a dessicant is satisfactory. Vacuum packing with dessicant and room temperature storage is best for access without the thaw and re-freezing that kills them. The problem with using the refrigerator for any period of time is the excessive amount of moisture constantly present. Each time the door is opened, moisture condenses on items inside, for which the dessicant is an inadequate deterrent for molds. A vacuum sealed container should not condense moisture on the inside. I have no knowledge of the effective lifespan of rice as a dessicant, but it could be replaced occasionally if suspected to be losing effectiveness. Using heat to remove any moisture present in rice or other "makeshift" dessicants will improve effectiveness and longevity. I have heard of vermiculite being used as a dessicant, but would recommend silica gel as a first choice. I heard of properly stored seeds over 10 years old still germinating at acceptable rates.

S

SexInTheCity

Cool photo of banana + pollen, someone was talking about 20 year old germinating marijuana seeds.....they actually germinated a palm dade tree (sp?) in Isreal that was around 2,000 years old found in a clay pot underground...took a year to germinate though lol something like that

Cool Moe

Veteran
proud papa

proud papa

This godbud stud just shagged three different ladies today via the paintbrush. First attempt at making beans, really appreciate all the great info in this thread. Thanks to Unknown Prophet and all contributors.

FarOut1

Great Thread:tiphat:

I caught this just in time as im just havin my first go at savin beans.

The pollenation wasn't controlled i removed him the first day he shot his load, but it was messy with fans, it was flyin everywhere lol. I flushed dried and cured as normal, when i have a smoke there's the odd bean that pops up here and there.

I've been puttin them straight into plastic zips then into a jar...

I'm makin paper wraps now lol.

I tried to germ 2 they cracked, thats it, the tap root never came out.

Now i Know, Thanks to UnKnown and the threads Quality Contributors:respect:

JimmyWie

Hi guys,

im kinda a noob in this. I just pollinated my first plant.. yay..

But how do i collect seeds? do you just wait for em to 'drop' out? or do u have to take them out manually at some piont?

thx

nobull56

ICMag Donor
Hi guys,

im kinda a noob in this. I just pollinated my first plant.. yay..

But how do i collect seeds? do you just wait for em to 'drop' out? or do u have to take them out manually at some piont?

thx

Treat her like you are your other plants. Give the seeds at least 6 or 8 weeks to grow out.
Read this whole tread & you will get more differant ideas.
Good luck

Greenmopho

I can't seem to find any info on whether or not to flush, how to flush, etc. for seeded females. Anyone know? I grow in hydro normally, but the breeding is in soil, using PBP Veg/Bloom 50%/50%. First seed dropped yesterday, and the bottom leaves are starting to turn, seems like I should start flushing, don't ya think?

nobull56

ICMag Donor
I can't seem to find any info on whether or not to flush, how to flush, etc. for seeded females. Anyone know? I grow in hydro normally, but the breeding is in soil, using PBP Veg/Bloom 50%/50%. First seed dropped yesterday, and the bottom leaves are starting to turn, seems like I should start flushing, don't ya think?

All the seeds are formed & flushing is not going to change what is in the seed. Flush as you would if you are going to consume the rest of the plant. Also think about useing products that are Organtic so if they are not flushed then they will have less impact on your finish.

Cool Moe

Veteran
Newb here, painted these on 4/1, they are getting fat and look like they could almost fall off. Would like to grow out the cross this summer, how soon will these germ?

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When they are fully mature (they look very close, maybe done) take them off and seperate from any plant material and dry them for at least 10 days or so in a warm dry environment. I like to wait until they no longer feel attached at the base of the seed and jiggle in the calyx, they are 100% fully mature at that point. Dry at 75F+, you want warmth and low humidity. Depending on the strain you may get full viability right off the bat or they may need to cure for awhile more. I made some lowryder beans that still don't want to germinate even after like 60 days because of the Rudy genes. (they go dormant for awhile)
Other stuff like Sweet Tooth is pretty much ready to go right after drying with 90% germ.

I dry my beans for about 10 days and then they go into the fridge at 35F dark & dry with some dessicant in with them. Try germinating a few right after drying if you have enough, if the germ rates are low then a nice cold snap in the fridge for a month should bring the % number way up in my experience. The seed believes it is going through winter and then when it gets warmed back up and comes in contact with moisture it is basically spring time to grow in cannabis land! :canabis:

The #1 thing you want to do is make sure they fully mature on the plant to start with for best viability in the short & long term. :)

Cool Moe

Veteran
Thanks SOTF420. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Some of these beans look like lemon seeds. Here's mom she's got kind of a glow to her.

Cool Moe

Veteran
first cross

first cross

so out of 3 strains pollinated on 4/1 the seeds on this mexican bagseed mom were the first to come ready, big fat beans, nice looking w/ stripes, made 28 by brushing onto two small lower branches. Mom is an unknown mexi strain we call chocco. Dad is purple pheno godbud.