What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stupid question

Packer420

Can like 5 drops of new tap water with chlorine kill good bacteria that i brewed for an organic bucket of tea?

I placed half cup ewc plus 1 tsp kelp on a cheese cloth. And bubbled it for 48 hours on an unchlorinated bucket of water with 1 tbsp of molasses. Water is like 5 gallons in.

I ask this because i rinsed the dropper i used in ph down with tap water which i believe has chlorine before i fed the tea to my girls. I stupidly drop the rinsed drops on the bucket for like 5 times and am paranoidn as a noob if those drops would kill all the good bacteria i brewed.

:laughing:

troutman

Seed Whore
I doubt 5 drops will kill everything.

Get another container for tap water and let it sit for at least 24 hours before using. :tiphat:

Packer420

That what i actually did bubbled it even for 24 hours before adding anything to it. The chlorinated water came from the dropper coz i rinsed it from that water everytime i squeezed out the acid from the ph down into the unchlorinated bucket.

Thanks for that makes me feel better and ready for my next feed.

Packer420

And that it didnt kill all, next time these little things. I am absorbing like a sponge now doing these things. So nice.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NO, your microherd is not in danger...

Chlorine is actually necessary in small amounts for chlorophyll production.

What you need to know, however, is the type of product your tap water is chlorinated with.
The old school chlorine will bubble out but if your water is treated with chloramine you need to find a different treatment method to neutralize it. It does not evaporate.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Packer420

Thanks a lot really! Males me comfortable asking with whatever i might ask. I will like all of you might have done ask info from my local water source with regards to our water info.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
A lot of water utilities use Chloramine now because it is easier. You could bubble out the old chlorine gas. Things like molasses or anything organic will react with the old Chlorine gas and render it harmless. I'm not exactly sure how to take the Chloramine chemical out of the water, but I have not heard of any plants suffering. Put it this way: If it kills plants it will probably screw up people.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I was curious about how to remove Chloramine from plant water so I checked with google. Supposedly 1000 mg of vitamin C will remove Chloramine from 40 gallons of water. Wow, I suppose that is useful for people who grow Hydro.

grayeyes

For ph I simply use a tablespoon of plain white vinegar in a gallon of water. Lowers the ph and doesn't cost money. I have very high ph out of the tap.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Why are the last 2 responses about pH? Am I so sober I ended up in the wrong thread? Where am I? I need an adult.