What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Aussie flora and fauna thread continued

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Seeing as the last thread was closed due to a software bug I thought I would start a new thread.

Saw this guy last year and haven't seen him since.

picture.php

T

Teddybrae

Frosty ... that gekko looks like an exotic species to me. Like the ones that have taken over my house and driven out the native gekkos. might even be the Indonesian post and rail gekko.
Ours came from a lounge siute we bought from hardly normals which had been on display. We got it in Hervey Bay and these gekkos are all up and down the sub tropical coast. Fukn wish I hadn't now.

Even tho they spread in the subtropics I notice the little bastards can handle more cold than the native ones. bastards!

T

Teddybrae

Wally's Bird Comments in Previous Nature Thread

Wally's Bird Comments in Previous Nature Thread

Hello Wal ... here's a recent book related to your comments re world status of Aussie birds.

Apparently all the birds of the world began in Gondwanaland and they are smarter here than anywhere else due to longer uninterupted evolution. That's what the book theorises anyway. Ooroo.

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Seeing as the last thread was closed due to a software bug I thought I would start a new thread.

Saw this guy last year and haven't seen him since.

View Image
good idea frosty ,
im sure we have only just begun to share the extent of wildlife we have here on the other one ,, plenty more to see im sure ...

Frosty ... that gekko looks like an exotic species to me. Like the ones that have taken over my house and driven out the native gekkos. might even be the Indonesian post and rail gekko.
Ours came from a lounge siute we bought from hardly normals which had been on display. We got it in Hervey Bay and these gekkos are all up and down the sub tropical coast. Fukn wish I hadn't now.

Even tho they spread in the subtropics I notice the little bastards can handle more cold than the native ones. bastards!

Hello Wal ... here's a recent book related to your comments re world status of Aussie birds.

Apparently all the birds of the world began in Gondwanaland and they are smarter here than anywhere else due to longer uninterupted evolution. That's what the book theorises anyway. Ooroo.

View Image
interesting teddy ,
keen to hear any other interesting tit bits you find in the book man ..

Chi13

ICMag Donor

Asian house geckos. We get them in Brisbane. They used to be in plague proportions but I have noticed the numbers have declined a bit in recent years.

Even though they're introduced I can't help but like them after seeing one take out a big cockroach.

T

Teddybrae

Well, yeah. They're useful no doubt. Our house is in a Eucalyptus forest so there's very few cockroaches except the native ones that digest rotten wood. (And we don't eat much meat or keep dogs both of which behaviours attract cockroaches.)

I think when an exotic species is first introduced it goes berko. Cane toad for example. I recall them all over every road. Or so it seemed. But after a while it seems the way of Nature is to thin out excess. (Like chopping tall poppies, yes?) Referring to cane toad again ... even during the recent successive flood years in Qld there was no population explosion of the toad.

Asian house geckos. We get them in Brisbane. They used to be in plague proportions but I have noticed the numbers have declined a bit in recent years.
Even though they're introduced I can't help but like them after seeing one take out a big cockroach.

Wally, the Missus has read the book not me (blush blush ashamed ashamed) but a Friend told me the other day he saw a White Winged Chough, as it waddled its way across the lawn, take a small diversion to rip the hind leg from a cane toad and swallow it.

So Crows, Kookies, Choughs, Black Snakes eat cane toads or parts thereof. Evolution in our time!

Ooroo!

T

Teddybrae

Here's Evolution ...

Here's Evolution ...

Never thought a native gekko could turn blue until I seed it for myself!

picture.php

T

Teddybrae

Moth on our screen door. Weird, eh?

Moth on our screen door. Weird, eh?

picture.php

T

Teddybrae

Well, your State would be the least populated by native animals ... cos it's so dry ... although you have lots of unchanged natural space further from the coast.
I think of Wilpena pound for example. Haven't been there yet but we know the country from Broken Hill to the Nullarbor and the Nungar's territory at Yalata ... gosh it was beautiful there last time we travelled. It had not been burnt for some time and the country was blue with native Saltbush. In stark comparison to up the road at Nullarbor where the Wombats had been ploughed out to plant gen mod saltbush.)
Here's a pic of a Euro we took at "Alligator Gorge" near Wilmington. Really liked it there.

Thanks Teddy, I just assumed it was a native. :bow:

picture.php

T

Teddybrae

Waterhole in the Forest

Waterhole in the Forest

These shots are taken at a Spotted Gum which was cut down many moons ago and has regrown over the old stump.
The way it has grown has left a hollow inside which fills up with water whenever there is rain or even a heavy dew. This process is amazing! The leaves direct the water to the branches which channel the water down the trunk and hey presto ... the bush creatures have somewhere to drink. (Dunno what the bird is. Will look later.)

picture.php

And here's a Lace Monitor checking to see if breakfast might be in the hole. He had a drink a few minutes after this.

picture.php

Chi13

ICMag Donor
The top one is a blue faced honeyeater. Trees like that are like gold to birds and animals, especially given the past drought.

T

Teddybrae

Thanks Chi! Hope yr chi is flowing freely!

The creek here is dry as a bone and has been for months now. There are dams but they are some distance away. So the tree is, most times, a social centre.

Like in ancient times towns were built around a well ... this tree allows life to continue near it almost uninterrupted.

The top one is a blue faced honeyeater. Trees like that are like gold to birds and animals, especially given the past drought.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
It's hard to believe we are still discovering new species of mammals - but it just happened! There are now two more reasons to love Australia. Meet the newest members of the 'Greater Glider'. The greater glider is a possum-sized marsupial living in the forests of eastern Australia, squeezing into tree hollows during the day and at night soaring up to 100 metres through the air searching for its favourite eucalyptus leaves. And due to the fact that these fluffy little fur-balls are on the 'extinctions' list, makes this find even more remarkable.
Connect with Nature!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
It's hard to believe we are still discovering new species of mammals - but it just happened! There are now two more reasons to love Australia. Meet the newest members of the 'Greater Glider'. The greater glider is a possum-sized marsupial living in the forests of eastern Australia, squeezing into tree hollows during the day and at night soaring up to 100 metres through the air searching for its favourite eucalyptus leaves. And due to the fact that these fluffy little fur-balls are on the 'extinctions' list, makes this find even more remarkable.
Connect with Nature!

View Image
View Image
View Image

G'day Wally

Those are Gizmo buggers.They can become nasty when they eat after midnight or come in contact with water, but overall they're very nice, although they destroyed the small village Waikullu in the north east of Oz in the 70s.