What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LET'S CLONE IN DIRT, WTF!

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
That's right dirt cloning. I've tried just about every method known to mankind except this. I can usually produce high number of clones for SOG grows consistently using sphagnum moss or coco/perlite mix.

But this time I'm using dirt as the propagating medium and no clonex or other rooting gels or powder. The medium is Earthcore Premium Potting Mix cos I happened to have some lying around.

The donor mums were produced from Colloidal Silver feminized seed as some of you may be aware. Indica, 100%, my indica "High Country Indica". A tried and tested reliable performer.

So let's see how they go.

40 CELL HIKO TRAY FILLED WITH THE MIX

picture.php

CS FEMINIZED DONOR MUMS

picture.php

40 CLONES LATER

picture.php

AND GIVE THE MUMS A SEVERE HAIRCUT

picture.php

The clones are under a dome, no bottom heat. Just relying on room temp which is probably about 22C.

I'll give the mums a good feed and back under the 430W Son T I use for maintaining them.

These clones may give me a good head start for next summers outdoor adventures. No reason why soil cloning will not work, plenty of people do it with cannabis and other plants and have been for 1000's of years.

Cheers.

Last edited:

westg

ICMag Donor
Hi m8...gonna keep a eye on your progress...I do this outside with my tomatos n get good results if I keep the moisture level right

High Country

Veteran
Hi m8...gonna keep a eye on your progress...I do this outside with my tomatos n get good results if I keep the moisture level right

The tomatoes at my place are just about out of control in summer. They layer themselves, a branch touches dirt, puts out roots and a new plant is born.

WILLOW, salix sp, LAYERS EASILY TOO, THE SCOURGE OF WATER WAYS AROUND HERE

picture.php

This is natural cloning, no clonex, heat mats required. Interesting, grevilleas do it too.

G

Guest50138

Hey High Country Iv'e got a M8 the always clones in dirt..he is just to cheap to do it any other way.maybe a bit slower but he seems to get a descent strike rate beats me why so many peeps seem to have trouble with it! ...Getting cold your way I bet Cheers :)

No clonex, no heat. Why not? Is this just to save the genetics for next summer so % isn't too important?

I'm going to take top clones from my 8 vegging Iranian Autoflowers soon to double my #. I've never cloned before and am running out of summer, so % is important. I'm probably going to do jiffy's or rockwool since I've got both kicking around, but I'll still be watching your outcome.

Goodluck bud!

seeyouaunty

I've always used a seedling soil mix for cloning as it just seems simpler. I usually get 95%+ strikerates so never had a need to try anything else lol

High Country

Veteran
Hey High Country Iv'e got a M8 the always clones in dirt..he is just to cheap to do it any other way.maybe a bit slower but he seems to get a descent strike rate beats me why so many peeps seem to have trouble with it! ...Getting cold your way I bet Cheers :)

I think I'm going organic just for something different, plants clone naturally, many plants, willow can do it at high altitudes, where it's cold, frosty, but they multiply. KOG has been doing it for years. It is a little bit frosty here, snow on the ground.

Good stuff, my fire is raging.

No clonex, no heat. Why not? Is this just to save the genetics for next summer so % isn't too important?

I'm going to take top clones from my 8 vegging Iranian Autoflowers soon to double my #. I've never cloned before and am running out of summer, so % is important. I'm probably going to do jiffy's or rockwool since I've got both kicking around, but I'll still be watching your outcome.

Goodluck bud!

I can take 3 or more clones off one stem, not just the tops, use the entire plant, it's all good.

westg

ICMag Donor
The tomatoes at my place are just about out of control in summer. They layer themselves, a branch touches dirt, puts out roots and a new plant is born.

I cut/snap off a branch n just stick her in moist soil in a fairly shady spot, no midday sun, usually water morning n night.

I imagine we live in a similiar environment been in high country myself...cold winters n hot summers...I have 4 true seasons here...dif state though.

High Country

Veteran
I cut/snap off a branch n just stick her in moist soil in a fairly shady spot, no midday sun, usually water morning n night.

I imagine we live in a similiar environment been in high country myself...cold winters n hot summers...I have 4 true seasons here...dif state though.

All too true, just stick a cutting in, 2-3 weeks later, roots.

G'Day mate, i see your not using a rooting gel, powder or anything, good for you, but in dirt i have always had good results using pure honey. Good luck champ, your shit is pretty good...

BUNDY...

Most nurseries and gardeners propagate via soil. You should have GREAT success.

While most of these additives and crutches are helpful; it's something for Mr. Hydro to sell. Definitely not necessary !

AfroSheep

I am who I am coz I is who I is.
Loving it once again HC, will be interesting to see growth rate and how long roots take to get decent in soil :D.

Peace. Afro,.

I've seen people use clear plastic cups to better see the root growth. They make these small clear cups little bigger than a shot glass that work great ! I'll take a photo of some soon.

High Country

Veteran
I've seen people use clear plastic cups to better see the root growth. They make these small clear cups little bigger than a shot glass that work great ! I'll take a photo of some soon.

I've seen that too however I don't like light getting to the roots. Here's a couple of links that explain the benefits of using Hiko trays.

http://www.bccab.com/BCC/files/Trays_A4_sept2008.pdf

http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/eserv.php?pid=UQ:8612&dsID=n28CEDAMO_Nurser.pdf

High Country

Veteran

I figure it might be a bit slower too, but if they strike transplanting into dirt will be very easy. It's cold alright, snow on the mountains around me.

Goodluck bud!

No clonex, no heat mat, just like nature does it. I have no trouble cloning in rockwool, jiffys or coco so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

I've always used a seedling soil mix for cloning as it just seems simpler. I usually get 95%+ strikerates so never had a need to try anything else lol

I could use a seed raising mix but just for the hell of it I'm using pretty standard potting mix. I'm not worried about a low strike rate, I can always do some more in my normal way.

High Country

Veteran
THE MOTHER PLANTS

THE MOTHER PLANTS

OK, so I've taken 40 clones off the mums which had been produced from Colloidal Silver feminized seed. So while waiting for the clones to strike I thought I would follow the recovery of the mums after the clone massacre.

After taking the clones I cut them back to all the same height by simply grabbing all the branches and cutting them to the same level. I gave them a feed of Seasol seaweed extract and they are looking pretty sad and sorry. They are back under a 430W Son T on 18/6.

Will they recover?

HERE'S ONE SICK LOOKING MUM

picture.php

AND ANOTHER

picture.php

NOTE THE GAPING WOUNDS ON THE MAIN STEMS OF ALL THE PLANTS

picture.php

A GROUP SHOT

picture.php

All plants are now at the same height. I expect they are stressing like crazy at the moment and trying to heal themselves. They are probably losing water so I must keep them hydrated. I am spraying for mites and keeping a close watch. With this many wounds they are open to an attack from many diseases.

In time they should recover and hopefully produce a plethora of clone sites. High Country Indica, miss reliable, let's see how she recovers.