What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Aussie Flora and Fauna thread ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teddybrae

Just wundrin Wal ... so AFTER my hive has got a Queen I move it home at night when all the Bees are asleep and they will commence foraging from the new place and return there to feed the Queen?
I have seen on the Web that Native Bees locate VISUALLY and wonder if they will get lost if moved from their old surroundings?

hey teddy ,
i asked old mate , he said put your hive near a native hive and rub some of the propolis from the front of the native hive on the opening of your hive ,
that should lure them and they will take care of the rest apparently, hopefully this saves spending so much on getting a queen , eu queen bees are only about $25 usually , a bit of a bargain compared to what you said about the native queens ...

i have a few mangoes , but they are only young and no flowers this season , maybe next one and ill take a good look when they do flower to see whats doing the pollination here ..

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Good morning Wallymod!

Here's a pic of the Bees in question last summer when I was trying to hydrate them. I have posted this pic before here so take it down if you wish. Ooroo!

View Image
Are you sure they're bees? They look like a species of soldier flies to me. Ptecticus Tenebrifer?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Just wundrin Wal ... so AFTER my hive has got a Queen I move it home at night when all the Bees are asleep and they will commence foraging from the new place and return there to feed the Queen?
I have seen on the Web that Native Bees locate VISUALLY and wonder if they will get lost if moved from their old surroundings?
yes i think so teddy ,
they should work out where they are and how to get back there,
they usually spend some time re calibrating we noted here when we have moved new hives from other places ...

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
European black bee

266px-Bee_October_2007-1.jpg

Is a native in the north of Europe, but what is used most common is the South-European bee.In Belgium and on one of the Friese eilanden the black bee is still kept and preserved.

Australian bees are very nice colored with turquoise blue.Read btw that the humbag whale found his way to open sea from the crocodile river.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
European black bee

View Image

Is a native in the north of Europe, but what is used most common is the South-European bee.In Belgium and on one of the Friese eilanden the black bee is still kept and preserved.

Australian bees are very nice colored with turquoise blue.Read btw that the humbag whale found his way to open sea from the crocodile river.
ohh he looks like the variety we have here in our hives called caucasian ,
i think the other we have is an italian bee ..

heres that green one i mentioned , apologies about the quality of the photo , he was just too fast for me to get a clear picture ,
the others are taken while we were doing an inspection of a hive ..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
ohh he looks like the variety we have here in our hives called caucasian ,
i think the other we have is an italian bee ..

heres that green one i mentioned , apologies about the quality of the photo , he was just too fast for me to get a clear picture ,
the others are taken while we were doing an inspection of a hive ..

View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

That is a very colored one, that greenish.Never saw a green bee before.:D
Bee keeper nearby where I live has the Italian bee species for years.Last year his harvest was more than 30 buckets a 15 ltrs of honey and this year even more.No spraying in the area and that is noticeable.

picture.php

About the black bee on Texel.Dutch spoken, but you can see the bees.

https://youtu.be/LRerZixS3mk

Hives from the bee keeper nearby.

Attachments

• 19030647_1896565687252042_8145777742827162386_n.jpg
    19030647_1896565687252042_8145777742827162386_n.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 39
T

Teddybrae

No Man ... they're Native Bees alright, although I don't know their Scientific name. We found their hive in a tree up the road and sometimes stop to listen to the activity inside. Buzz, buzz!

(Strange what amuses ancient Hippies! We're stoned of course ...)

Wally, I think I recognise the feet in the photo!

Are you sure they're bees? They look like a species of soldier flies to me. Ptecticus Tenebrifer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
No Man ... they're Native Bees alright, although I don't know their Scientific name. We found their hive in a tree up the road and sometimes stop to listen to the activity inside. Buzz, buzz!

(Strange what amuses ancient Hippies! We're stoned of course ...)

Wally, I think I recognise the feet in the photo!
problem fixed teddy ,,

oh they are quite common swamp feet up here , hahaha ,
no one wears shoes much when they are young so we all end up with the front part of our feet quite broad ,
shoes were not required at school until quite recently ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Morning from sunny north queensland where it looks as though we have a pretty warm day coming ..

just dropped in to share a pic of the old tree kangaroo,
many folks have no idea of their existence , even in Australia ..

picture.php

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I might go and check this out next week ...

https://wheresongbegan.com/?fbclid=IwAR0TDPj0YXuKUkdqjhYzYB8V48pVSPIT9KC7lpfm2zfvTTHPBp5UAiCX7OM

sounds interesting ,
i wonder how many know the first song birds were from Australia ,
and that all the songs birds sing stem from those ??

those melodies haved also shaped music humans have made ,
its important to look back to the roots of things to understand the full picture ,
id urge any aussies able to check this out if it comes to their town ,
im sure im not the only one to appreciate this sort of thing ...

T

Teddybrae

Wal, there's a recent book re this called: "Bird Bonds" by Gisella Kaplan. The Missus bought it and says it's an amazing read.

All the worlds birds began when Oz was part of Gondwanaland. We have the most birds and the most intelligent birds, maybe because they have not been interrupted in their evolution since G/land.

Ooroo ...

I might go and check this out next week ...

https://wheresongbegan.com/?fbclid=IwAR0TDPj0YXuKUkdqjhYzYB8V48pVSPIT9KC7lpfm2zfvTTHPBp5UAiCX7OM

sounds interesting ,
i wonder how many know the first song birds were from Australia ,
and that all the songs birds sing stem from those ??

those melodies haved also shaped music humans have made ,
its important to look back to the roots of things to understand the full picture ,
id urge any aussies able to check this out if it comes to their town ,
im sure im not the only one to appreciate this sort of thing ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts