What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ABC(Australian Bastard Cannabis),Dizzy,Bindi,Mongy Madness

picture.php

Some ways to go before mine reach that size..
View Image

Nice to finally see yours! It is a slow grower, but a fun plant. So far what I've learned is the benefits of this plant also have some drawbacks, the main one being I feel it's susceptible to bacteria and budrot because of the way the leaves are, and has a very high leaf to bud ratio so I definitely advise the use of a natural fungicide/enzyme of some kind and frequent check up of the buds/defoliation.

Ironically their "autobastard 1.0" has almost no leaf at all and just forms a bud on a stick. Minimal trimming but a tiny plant, def recommend getting a pack of those.

teide

Veteran
Thanks litew8! Good to be finally catching up with you. Thanks for the heads up on susceptibility to bud rot. Will defoliate and check regularly.
I also noticed on hyb's IG photos how the auto bastard has almost no leaves. That looks like a fun pheno.
I will try to make my own auto version, as the bud stick pheno looks no where near stealth. The leaves are the biggest camouflage in this strain, and I feel they should be a bit more numerous in the auto, and maybe a bit less in subt1.
But hey, I won't complain, I am happy that hub and humboldt finally released it, and there is tedious breeding work behind this strain, so all credit to hyb. I am very grateful to finally have the seeds, and it will be a life long project playing with these genetics trying to work the strain towards a phenotype that suits my preferences. Pure fun and gratefulness along the way!

teide

Veteran
Not much to update on my behalf, the abc looks the same still. One month later and it's more or less the same.
I am also growing f1s of c99 x abc, and those are in full flower now. Started simultaneously as the regular abc, but much quicker. I am reversing one to get feminized f2 seeds.

teide

Veteran
A breeder on an autoflower site has just started documenting his auto abc project. Mandalorian genetics.
Humboldt CSI are doing their trinity kush cross. That one is soon ready for release. So it is slowly starting.
Private breed work seems still very limited, only a handful growers on this forum getting down with the abc. Hopefully folks will find it worthwhile to continue improving and expanding this line.
This is very early and we don't know much about the abc nor subt1 yet.
It might be that people get discouraged when seeing how it needs further work. We already know abc has poor potency. Subt1 seems to be slightly stronger, but it is susceptible to both PM and bud rot.

A breeder on an autoflower site has just started documenting his auto abc project. Mandalorian genetics.
Humboldt CSI are doing their trinity kush cross. That one is soon ready for release. So it is slowly starting.
Private breed work seems still very limited, only a handful growers on this forum getting down with the abc. Hopefully folks will find it worthwhile to continue improving and expanding this line.
This is very early and we don't know much about the abc nor subt1 yet.
It might be that people get discouraged when seeing how it needs further work. We already know abc has poor potency. Subt1 seems to be slightly stronger, but it is susceptible to both PM and bud rot.

contemplating the triangle kush x abc

or pck x abc , i dont suppose anyone has tried out any of these CSI hybrids. ?

, here is a post from Mongy Madness about his Mongy strain ...
Quote:
Hi all, I thought I would write this post to explain what Mongy Weed is and to hopfully clear up the confusion created by Bindi, Dizzy, ABC and Duckfoot etc.

Best to mention Wally Ducks "Duckfoot" strain first. It is not Mongy Weed. But it is a very interesting plant, another strange mutant marijuana. ABC, Dizzy, Bindi etc. on the other hand are all Mongy Weed.

The original genetics for Mongy Weed were from a mutated stand of wild hemp ( what I'd call hemp anyway ) found not far from Sydney, Australia. I would like to claim fame for this find, but although I did get to see the plants, It wasn't me that found them. The now elderly couple that did find them I would like to thank for teaching me the basics that got me started growing all plants and especially for recognizing and passing on this strange leaf mutation.

In its native state Mongy Weed is not very good for hemp or THC. It is a weed. The couple who found it began to cross these original Mongy Weed seeds with their own plants and were having some success until they were beaten by age, and new living circumstances saw an end to their love of growing cannabis. And as I had shown so much interest, this is when I was given their seeds and began to grow Mongy Weed for myself.

Most of their early crosses were with pure sativa and sativa dominant plants of unknown origin. As were mine. the first known strain I crossed with was Durban Poison. Mongy Weed was totally unknown as cannabis at this stage and i was able to grow it just about anywhere undetected which meant that I was able to introduce many different cannabis strains into the gene pool with relative ease. This mixed seed stock I called Mongy Madness.

Many of these seeds I started to give to friends ( which I thought was just about everyone back then ) so they could grow their own Mongy Madness and it wasn't that many years after this ( stupid me, it was obvious in hind sight ) I had people trying to sell me Mongy Madness as Bindi weed, and I am reading reports in the paper about new "mutant super weed" busts. I stopped giving away ANY seed after this and continued to grow my own strains in private.

Mongy Madness faded into past knowledge for most people as far as I knew and I had heard little more until recently when I got a computer and learned of the Mongy Madness seed that Marc Emery had taken back to Canada and named australian bastard cannabis or ABC.

Since then I know of a couple of people who have continued to grow Emery's Mongy seed. Another grower I have found who is also working with Mongy Madness seed, calls his strain Dizzy.

I have been growing Mongy Weed for well over 20yrs and don't intend to stop now. It is way too interesting a plant. I have friends who still grow Mongy Madness, and have met a few more people both in Australia and overseas since getting a computer who also do. It wouldn't surprise me if there are more people who have continued to grow Mongy Madness in private over the years as I literaly gave away buckets of seed to alot of different people.

Anyway I hope this has helped clear up a few of the mis-conceptions that surround this plant that I have always refered to as Mongy Weed and the couple that found it always called Cannabis Australis.

anyone got the old article from cannabis culture magazine from 90s/2000s ? trying to find it on wayback machine and cannot be located :/

G

20210427_212835~3.jpg
Favourite ABC (site 4), partially pollinated by Laos Mango (F2) from Donald Mallard. These F1 seeds will 100% produce regular looking plants, carrying the recessive abc gene. To select and produce an improved ABC while still retaining the heirloom 'landrace' smoke qualities. I plan to make this hybrid with a non typical double outcross method keeping in mind the behaviour of the recessive trait.

The idea is crossing the abc F1 carrying the abc gene to another quality haze heirloom from Donald Mallards selections. Resulting in 100% normal appearance plants, with now only 50% still carriers of the abc gene. An open pollination of all the boys, all the girls in theory will result in roughly 5% abc type plants to breed and select from, nailing down those desired traits in the following generation.

Amrot

I would be very interested to know if any wild / feralized population of ABC is still thriving in some remote part of the wilderness. Cannabis that grows naturally and independently of humans is hated by everyone (including us) and whenever possible it is exterminated. Still, I would like a wild patch to grow somewhere in the mountains. Do you think there is a chance that such a population of ABC exists?

G

While ABC is alive and real, it's not a wild plant rather a mutation that occurred in Australia. Australia has no natural population. Classic bro science says otherwise but any actual literature on native plants within Australia has 0 mention of natural populations prior to European settlement.